• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Raw

Jinmyo

Which meats do you most enjoy raw? Why has nobody opened the meat equivalent of a sushi bar?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Jinmyo,

When I was young lad of say9 or 10 yrs ,I would spend the summers with my grandmother working in with her boardwalk Oriental Rug gallery in Ocaen City,NJ.Often after a late night of salesmanship we would return to her country home and she would find herself in a state of profound hunger .My grandmother (Grace) was a good eater,which meant that our midnight summers snack generally consisted of a few filet mignons from the local butcher at farm market broiled with a pat of butter on a sizzling iron plater ,a mashed baked potato with the skins of course,and a giant hearty beefsteak tomato sliced thickly drizzled with olive oil, salt and black pepper.Done with her cooking we would both retire to her room to eat our meals bathed in the cool light of the Tv and Johnny Carson.

Now I must say that I side with Mr .Culets beef tenderloin is not my favorite cut of beef .I find it to a little to delicate for my palatte .I prefer heartier cuts and dont mind trading a little more chewing for flavor.Any how that being stated one of my favorite things to eat on a late midsummers night in my youth ,was a raw beef tenderloin pulled from the shelf of my grandmothers refrigerator.When we would return home and she was not hungry or neither of us felt like cooking I was welcome to eat what ever I pleased and would often just simply place the filet on a plate slice it thinly and and stand over the counter in the middle of the kitchen eating slice after slice ,rolling my fork and coating each piece in salt and a little black pepper until my plate was clean .Another simple pleasure . I have tried in more recent times Ostrich loin in the same manner ,tar tar standing over the kitchen counter and found it to be quite excellent.Ostrich is very very lean ,and like many game type animals many people would complain that cooked its simply just too dry .Dont belive it .I think it really deep rich flavor that cooking could easily ruin . So why bother cooking ?Brown bits of course . Yeah sure but its no mean feat to brown and keep the meat very rare with out some very extreme heat on a delicate cut as Ostrich .Most Ostrich comes from a farm these days and can be quite tender. I recommend avoiding the the stress of cooking and just go tar tar .Another thing I recommend eating raw that may sound completely ridiculous is Venison sushi or sashimi .

Yeah thats right !Take some fresh venison ,frozen is ok ,and trim alll the chewy parts off like the white tendons and stringy fat .Avoid shoulder cuts or sinuey leg parts or youll be doing a lot of trimming .Cut the venison into thin bite size pieces like you would to tuna and just roll into a little soy sauce and good wasabi and eat .I like it when the wasabi almost blows your head off and comes flaming through your nostrils .The saltyness of the soy and the natural bloodiness and flavor of the venison is unique and delicious .Its really very good and again very simple.

Hope this helps .Bon Appetite Sincerely Scrappleking

The scrapple king said it about as well as I could have, albeit in his stragely garbled typing. My raw-meat explorations have been limited to steak tartare, which I enjoy most at Lucerne, a bistro on First Avenue north of Houston street. Too often I find tartare overseasoned, and the only taste that comes through is horseradish. This has even been my experience in some of the city's best restaurants; I don't know why.

yours,

Mr. C.

Mr-Cutlets.com: your source for advice, excerpts, Cutlets news, and links to buy Meat Me in Manhattan: A Carnivore's Guide to New York!

Mr. Cutlets: what about Korean yukwe? Ever had that? The only place I've had it is Kori, on Church Street, but I understand some of the places in the West 30s serve good versions.

The neat thing about it is that it is more like julienne than chopped, and the seasonings are, well, Korean, but not too spicy. Try it, you'll like it. :biggrin:

Mr. Cutlets: what about Korean yukwe? Ever had that? The only place I've had it is Kori, on Church Street, but I understand some of the places in the West 30s serve good versions.

The neat thing about it is that it is more like julienne than chopped, and the seasonings are, well, Korean, but not too spicy.  Try it, you'll like it.  :biggrin:

Kang Suh on 32nd makes a damn good Yook Hwe.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

That doesn't surprise me.  Their bulgogi is the best too.  I review

Kang Suh in Meat Me In Manhattan.

Mr. Cutlets

Yes, their bulgogi and Galbi is very good.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Yakiniku restaurants in Japan (the Japanese version of Korean BBQ restaurants) usually have beef liver sashimi. I'm not a big fan of cooked liver after all the tough nasty liver i had to eat as a kid, but liver sashimi is great.

Yakiniku restaurants in Japan (the Japanese version of Korean BBQ restaurants) usually have beef liver sashimi. I'm not a big fan of cooked liver after all the tough nasty liver i had to eat as a kid, but liver sashimi is great.

and don't forget the horse sashimi too! :biggrin:

I think I hear some yukwe, liver sashimi and horse sashimi calling me...........

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"