• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Harpers & Moet Restaurant Awards

I went along to the Harpers & Moet awards last night which were held in the ballroom at Claridges Hotel. They were formerly known as the Premier Crew awards and were created to reward front of house staff. The remit has now been expaned to cover restaurants in general. The winners and highly commended are :

Best Restaurant in London

Winner: Club Gascon

Highly Commended:

Angela Hartnett at the Connaught

Chez Bruce

Racine

The Ivy

Best Restaurant Outside London

Winner: Gidleigh Park

Highly Commended:

The Vineyard at Stockcross

The West House (Biddenden in Kent)

Hambleton Hall

The Greyhound (Stockbridge in Hants)

Best Newcomer

Winner: Tom Aikens

Highly Commended:

Cru

Fino

L'Etranger

Rivington Bar and Grill

Chef Of The Year

Winner: Marcus Wareing

Highly Commended:

David Thompson

Richard Corrigan

Rainer Becker (Zuma)

Pascal Proyart (One-O-One)

Sommelier Of The Year

Winner: Ronan Sayburn (Gordon Ramsay)

Highly Commended:

James Payne (The Square)

Geroid Devaney (Tom Aikens)

Loic Mallet (Aurora)

Emmanuel Hardonniere (The Glasshouse)

Premier Crew Award for Best Font-Of-House Team

Winner: Racine

Best Scene

Winner: E&O

Highly Commended:

Zuma

Sketch

Les Trios Garcons

Hakkasan

Interesting to see no mention of Jamie Oliver / Fifteen but local rival Cru is in there. Has any one been to Cru since chef Gianni Vatteroni left about 6 months ago? He was ex Lighthouse (critically acclaimed) but now in La Contenta.

I went along to the Harpers & Moet awards last night which were held in the ballroom at Claridges Hotel. They were formerly known as the Premier Crew  awards and were created to reward front of house staff. The remit has now been expaned to cover restaurants in general. The winners and highly commended are :

Best Restaurant in London

Winner: Club Gascon

Highly Commended:

Angela Hartnett at the Connaught

Chez Bruce

Racine

The Ivy

they are insane. :shock:

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

I know what you mean, but it's like the Oscars, best picture doesn't necessarily have the best director or actors. It was a short ceremony, just the 7 awards and I think they wanted to cover as many restaurants as possible. It would have been rather boring for Wareing and Petrus to hoover up the lot.

Has anyone been yet to (the honourably mentioned) L'Etranger? It's on Gloucester Road in Kensington. I keep hearing good things about it, but have yet to throw my wallet and evil intentions in their direction.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Has anyone been yet to (the honourably mentioned) L'Etranger? It's on Gloucester Road in Kensington. I keep hearing good things about it, but have yet to throw my wallet and evil intentions in their direction.

i thought it overpriced and underwhelming. ordinary dishes like steak au poivre served in a pointlessly pseudo-japanese way.

m