• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Getting Good Wine In Ontario

itch22

After reading Craig Camp's latest Wine Camp article, I did a quick search for the producers he recommended in the LCBO's wine imports and none are to be found. Is the LCBO the only answer for buying imported wine in Ontario? I am an entry level novice to wine buying.

-- Jason

Is the LCBO the only answer for buying imported wine in Ontario?

As a novice, you are probably best advised to stick to the LCBO - but cultivate the consultant at your local store (or find one that has a consultant - they're listed at the back of every Vintages monthly catalogue).

One additional source is the Agent (if the Producer has one). There isn't a complete list, but a good reference source is the OIWSBA - they have a search facility, but not all agents are members. And you have to buy in case quantities.

Ontario Imported Wines, Spirits & Beer Association

You could probably mail order some booze but even if it was allowed the customs would rape you on duty and taxes.

Not that I know what I'm talking about, but I have friend who brings cases in from the Stellenbosch who claims the duites are pretty reasonable. A buck or two a bottle.

If you're willing to buy by the case there are lots of wine agents who privately import, I assume you could buy though them. At least that's what many restaurants do.

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com

I have friend who brings cases in from the Stellenbosch who claims the duites are pretty reasonable. A buck or two a bottle.

Hmm.

Carrying wine in attracts a "reduced" all-in rate of about 70% (covering all fees). It's more if you have it shipped.

So as long as the all-in shipped cost is about a dollar, then the duties etc would be a buck or two. Of course, samples for trade purposes (not sale; e.g. for wine shows) are often declared at $1 value!!!!!!!!!