• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fluid Intake

pooter

I drink like a fish with my meals. I can't for the life of me understand how some people can get by with a single glass of fluid with a reasonably sized meal. For example, while dining in fine restaurants (multi-course meals); I'll drink likely close to 2L of water in addition to wine. At home with my meals, 1L would be the bare minimum (juice/water/etc.) in addition to wine.

In crappy restaurants I'll have my drink refilled (soda, whatever) at least twice (usually 3 times) while most everyone else gets by with a single glass.

Am I broken? :(

When I was a kid and went to restaurants with my parents and sister I would end up with everyone's water glasses lined up in front of me because they'd drink little or nothing and I'd drink multiple glasses of water. I still often end up with everyone's water glass because my dining partners will drink nothing (or at least none of their water) with their meal and I'll covet their water. It's not unusual for a waiter to leave a pitcher of water next to me (sometimes I'd ask but often they'd take the initiative) because I'd drink so much.

I think that one of the reaons I drink so much with meals is that I'm not at all good a gauging my thirst in the course of the day and drink too little, or perhaps that my thirst doesn't get triggered until I eat something and then all of a sudden I'm ravenously thirsty.

Is there a similar word to famished that describes thirst?

Am I broken? :huh:

Edit: btw most of this water gluttony has taken place in far-from-fine restaurants.

Edited by hillbill (log)
Gustatory illiterati in an illuminati land.

Are you thirsty all day long, or is it only when you eat?

Only when I eat. Also much of the time that I'm describing I was active to very active and I always sweat a lot so I think it's just deferred thirst - a matter of under-drinking for too long then having my body compensate. Not diabetes, been tested negative for that a number of times and I'm not aware of any family history of diabetes.

I am glad to know I am not the only one!

I drink incredible amounts of water with my meals, especially in the summer when I have been cooking in a very hot kitchen I can drink two large tumblers of water before I even touch the meal.

I have often wonder how people can just sip wine or hot tea with their meal............

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Wow. I thought I was the only one!

Except I drink all day long. I always have a bottle of water with me, and after a quick estimate and calculation I come up with an average of at least 150 ounces a day!

Thats over twice what this website says is recommended for the normal adult!

I drink even more at meals. I've been known to order both iced tea and lemonade in addition to water.

Hope I'm not broken!

Squeat

Thats over twice what this website says is recommended for the normal adult!

I read two very interesting articles about hydration some time ago (and unlike my usual inclination, I'm too lazy to try and track down an appropriate link for each.)

One was about how people have become too obsessed with drinking enough water, almost as if there's a "cult of hydration" these days and that most people are going to get enough water during the course of the day without worrying about the 8 glasses rule and without being obsessed about carrying water everwhere and sipping endlessly.

The other was that dehydration is rarely a medical problem when someone takes ill in grueling physical activity such as a marathon. If anything the problem is inadequate or unbalanced electrolyte levels. I remember very distinctly that the nutritionist or doctor quoted in the article said that one can be underhydrated, properly hydrated, or over-hydrated and suffer from an electrolyte-related problem, and I believe that the point was that people are most likely to be adequately or even over-hydrated yet have this other problem.

Me too... I got used to drinking a lot of water all day about 20 years ago. Kidney stones are a great teacher. I walk around with a big sippy cup of water all day. I still drink 2 or 3 big water glasses full with a meal. I am sure glad I am not weird. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

...people have become too obsessed with drinking enough water, almost as if there's a "cult of hydration" these days and that most people are going to get enough water during the course of the day without worrying about the 8 glasses rule and without being obsessed about carrying water everwhere and sipping endlessly.

The weird thing is I'm not obsessed with hydration. I never even think of it. I'm just thirsty! In fact, I had to google to find out how much the average or recommended average intake was.

Guess I'm just a freak.

Cheers,

Squeat

...people have become too obsessed with drinking enough water, almost as if there's a "cult of hydration" these days and that most people are going to get enough water during the course of the day without worrying about the 8 glasses rule and without being obsessed about carrying water everwhere and sipping endlessly.

The weird thing is I'm not obsessed with hydration. I never even think of it. I'm just thirsty! In fact, I had to google to find out how much the average or recommended average intake was.

I never think about it 'till I'm hungry and then there's a nearly bottomless thirst for a little while. Of course I tend to do the same thing about food also, but that's another topic.

Is there a similar word to famished that describes thirst?

parched?

It doesn't seem to imply the same degree of severity as famished.

fam·ish

v. fam·ished, fam·ish·ing, fam·ish·es

v. tr.

To cause to endure severe hunger.

To cause to starve to death.

parch

v. parched, parch·ing, parch·es

v. tr.

To make extremely dry, especially by exposure to heat: The midsummer sun parched the earth. See Synonyms at burn1.

To make thirsty.

To dry or roast (corn, for example) by exposing to heat.

v. intr.

To become very dry. See Synonyms at dry.

To become thirsty.

And I've never heard anyone say "I'm parched," but they say "I'm famished" all the time.

I read somewhere that a runner got killed in marathon because he was over-hydrated.

That was a case of screwed up electrolyte balance that may or may not be related to hydration levels. I had an interest n reading about those things recently because my son just ran a marathon. (The "Mother Anxiety Meter" was just about pegged.)

What hillbill said...

The other was that dehydration is rarely a medical problem when someone takes ill in grueling physical activity such as a marathon. If anything the problem is inadequate or unbalanced electrolyte levels. I remember very distinctly that the nutritionist or doctor quoted in the article said that one can be underhydrated, properly hydrated, or over-hydrated and suffer from an electrolyte-related problem, and I believe that the point was that people are most likely to be adequately or even over-hydrated yet have this other problem.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I read somewhere that a runner got killed in marathon because he was over-hydrated.

Um, not likely. In the ordinary course of a day (from what I've read and experienced) the average person is going to lose 1-2 liters of water through respiration, sweat and whatnot. More if you're exerting yourself or in a desert climate, less if you're sitting at a computer in climate controlled environment. It takes nearly 20 liters intake (again, from what I've read) of water to throw your electrolyte balance off to the point where your synapses are salt starved and start misfiring to the point of medical emergency.

On a personal level, I know the more water I drink the more I crave. I keep at 34oz QuikTrip (a local convenience store) cup at my side at all times. I refill it 3 or 4 times a day. If I forget it or am at a meeting where I can't sip away I'm less likely to crave water. If I'm writing I'll keep refilling all throughout the day.

As an aside, I generally order iced tea with lunch. I'll grab the pitcher when it comes by and convince the waitron that it would be in his/her best interest to leave it on the table. I sometimes go through 2 or 3 before the end of the meal. Dinner is a whole 'nother story. Bottle of wine -- a glass or two while cooking, another during the meal and one after. No water, oddly enough, until I take my QuikTrip mug to bed.

Chad

Edited to note that the 20-L intake figure could be a figment of my imagination (brought on by too much/too little water?). I'll check my desert survival tomes for further information and get back to you. Don't go doing anything rash based on my possibly misremembered info.

CW

Edited by Chad (log)

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

I have had stones....miserable lil critters they be....but I CANT drink tons of water all day a) Id be living in the john and b) I feel bloated like an engorged leech.

But with dinner I could easily kill a quart or more of fluid...usually fruit juice or soy milk. When I remember to throw a jug in the fridge I have plain chilled water.

Blovie goes through about 2 liters of liquid a day. This can be water, ice tea, or juice. When we're in restaurants he always asks for a pitcher. Otherwise, he's downing the contents of my glass as well as his.

I try to drink at least a liter a day. But, I'm not always so successful.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Um, not likely.

Very likely.

There was also a Utah court case last year (earlier this year?) in which parents of a young girl were charged in her death because they forced her to drink water as a punishment. The amount of water caused "water intoxication".

Just to throw another twist into this thread...

Those of us that go around with a water source all day... Do you have a fetish about your water container? I have a favorite insulated, really big sippy cup that I use at the office and I fill at the cooler. I don't always drink ice water. I generally prefer mine cool, not iced. Then, at home, I have these really pedestrian acrylic glasses that are really more like a tall mug with a mug-like handle. That is my water recepticle of choice and it is filled with room temp tap water. That is also what resides bedside.

Another aside. An offsite parking service, The Parking Spot, at the Houston airport, has won my loyalty because they give you a chilled bottle of water when you pay your bill and exit. When you get off of a really long flight, that is heaven. Somebody is a marketing genius.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Those of us that go around with a water source all day... Do you have a fetish about your water container?

When I'm out and about I have a fetish for an Aquafina bottle as a refillable water bottle because of the wide mouth. The mouth on most other plastic water bottles is too small and they bug me because I can't take big swigs of water, the water gurgles out and glug-glugs and I'm ideologically opposed to glug-glugging. I bought a holster for the water bottle that I sling around my shoulder because when I used to put the water bottle in my bag or backpack I'd forget about it and lug around a full bottle of water all day. When the holster is slung around my shoulder and bugging the heck out of me I remember to drink some water every once in a while.

Um, not likely.

Very likely.

There was also a Utah court case last year (earlier this year?) in which parents of a young girl were charged in her death because they forced her to drink water as a punishment. The amount of water caused "water intoxication".

You might want to check how much water this poor soul was forced to ingest. As I said, don't rely on me as the definitive source of information. I'll post again tomorrow when I have a chance to check my background information. But it takes a lot of water to reach the point where your salt/electrolyte imbalance starts to impair your brain functions.

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

At home we drink tap water. We keep a one gallon jug filled in the refrigerator.

For when I carry water with me, I keep a 1 liter Poland Spring bottle three-quarters of the way frozen with tap water. Before I leave, I top it off with more tap water. I like my water ice cold.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I don't always drink ice water. I generally prefer mine cool, not iced. Then, at home, I have these really pedestrian acrylic glasses that are really more like a tall mug with a mug-like handle.

At the office, I refill a commercial bottle of San Pantaleone which has the best shape for volume vis a vis ease of use in refilling from the office tap. I know there are reported bacterial horror stories associated with refilling commercial plastic water bottles, but I do replace it every so often. (The original resident water of this bottle is also quite good.)

At home, I drink the sweet Hetch-Hetchy tapwater directly from the tap in a pint glass (this is my favorite water, by the way -- I know Manhattanites also consider themselves (or used to?) blessed with great tapwater). My favorite temperature for drinking water is cold-tap, although I do add an ice-cube or two on our rare hot days.

Squeat

Those of us that go around with a water source all day... Do you have a fetish about your water container? I have a favorite insulated, really big sippy cup that I use at the office and I fill at the cooler. I don't always drink ice water. I generally prefer mine cool, not iced. Then, at home, I have these really pedestrian acrylic glasses that are really more like a tall mug with a mug-like handle. That is my water recepticle of choice and it is filled with room temp tap water. That is also what resides bedside.

Another aside. An offsite parking service, The Parking Spot, at the Houston airport, has won my loyalty because they give you a chilled bottle of water when you pay your bill and exit. When you get off of a really long flight, that is heaven. Somebody is a marketing genius.

Absolutely. I have my 34oz QuikTrip cup that stays with me at all times, even during meetings. My primary sign that I'm talking too much is that my cup is dry. :rolleyes: My kids always want to drink from my sippy cup, but I make them get their own.

On the range (I'm a competitive shooter) I have a 3L CamelBack system that I keep filled with ice water. On a long afternoon that's often not enough. But at least I know that the bite valve hasn't been in anyone's mouth but mine.

Good system, by the way, for anyone who needs liquids far from an approved source.

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

I am obsessive about drinking enough water. I know I am feeling sick if I am not in the mood to drink water. Asthmatics (like myself) have an especial tendency to dehydrate since we tend to breathe shallower, faster breaths. My allergies have gotten much much better since I started knocking back a minimum of 2L of water a day. Makes it easier for my body to rid itself of irritants like dust and molds that enter my system through the course of everyday living and breathing.

I keep 1L Nalgene lexan bottles around for refilling. I love the wide mouth and the fact that they never ever leak if closed properly. I own three of these bottles and I rotate them through the dishwasher regularly. My mom gave me a really cool purple one with a black lid for Hanukkah last year. Mom rocks. :wub:

I am not obsessive about drinking water during meals though. I usually drink one or two glasses if they're 10oz or larger, even if I'm enjoying cocktails or wine with my meal. I sip most of my water during the day and while at the gym.