• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best NYC Chefs 2003

rozrapp

New York Magazine's current issue has highlighted 9 NY Restaurant chefs with the "Best Chef 2003" award-- all of them are (rich and) famous....

What I found lacking in this report was,

a/ Who is deciding on these chefs?

b/ Why 9? Why not 10, 8, or 15?

c/ What criteria were used?

If anyone has inside info on this article, please report-- or let me know if I missed something. Thanks.

a/ Who is deciding on these chefs?

b/ Why 9?  Why not 10, 8, or 15?

c/ What criteria were used? 

a) probably New York Magazine's food + entertainment writers

b) probably b/c they couldn't get a tenth finalized before it went to print

c) probably whoever has gotten a reasonable amount of buzz, hype, and press that they were able to get enough info about

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

What a bunch of cynics. It's not about kickbacks and nepotism. It's about what sells magazines. :shock:

It has some value if it brings attention to the deserving chefs. If the public thinks this is a definitive list, then we're poorly served, but get what we deserve.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Clearly, it's not simply the best chefs, but those invovled with new restaurants or with those who have brought something new to an existing restaurant. After one meal each at Atelier and Oceana, I have no problem with anyone or any article bringing positive attention to Gabriel Kreuther or Cornelius Gallagher. I've always like Tom Valenti's cooking and am eager to try Cesca. Are there chefs of equal talent around town who haven't been involved in a new project? Sure.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

NY Magazine has always been fond of Gary Robins. Every time he's moved to or from a place, they've had coverage. I don't know why they love him so much -- by which I mean I don't know how they choose their favorites to follow over the years. What the internal politics of their continued attention may be . . . who knows?

For the record, I worked under Gary at Match, Mi, and another (unmentioned) place in between, so I'm pleased that NYM loves him so much. I learned a huge amount from him. :wub:

Sure looks like more log-rolling. How many times do people have to be told that Valenti rescued the Upper West Side from being a culinary wasteland? It's as if much of the food press are working from the same boilerplate/press releases: Valenti and the lamb shank, Daniel and The Burger, Valenti saves the Upper West Side, Sirio is the consumate host, Sirio's kids have learned the art from their Dad, Danny Meyer, Danny Meyer, Danny Meyer, Patricia Yeo, Patricia Yeo...New York can seem like a really small restaurant town, sometimes.