• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Non-U.S. cuts

Hello again, Mr. C.

Have you had any experience with meat cut not along U.S. standards, but, say, those of Britain or France? You know, like "collar of ham?" How did you manage to communicate your cravings to the butcher? Did you just point to your own body parts and hope for the best?

Thanks.

Suzanne,

I wouldn't point to my own body parts in trying to communicate with a foreign butcher! He might get the wrong idea. But I have a pretty good grasp of how they butcher beef and pork in the British and French systems. It all comes down to knowing the carcass. The names and cuts are very confusing, especially in France. But if you have a good diagram, you'll know just what they are by looking back and forth at the American diagram. I use the synoptic illustrations in the 1962 Larousse Gastronomique. Of course, that won't help you in other countries, particularly far Eastern ones. But it should stand you in good stead in England and France. Sometimes you can just tell from the name: "piece de boeuf" is just what it sounds like.

Mr. Cutlets

Mr-Cutlets.com: your source for advice, excerpts, Cutlets news, and links to buy Meat Me in Manhattan: A Carnivore's Guide to New York!