• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite kitchenware store in Toronto?

chococrazy

The little place by the Cook Book Store is pretty good for gadgets and very good for glassware. I have been told recently that Embros is not as big of a rip off as it used to be. It's certainly a nice looking store.

Lately, I've found myself strolling the ailses of Canadian Tire, where you can get most basic tools for much less.

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com

I'll have to check out the place by the Cook Book Store and Fortune! Thanks for the suggestions.

To make matters difficult, when I shop I make it a point to check the tag to see where the item is made (I refuse to buy any products made in countries with horrible human rights records....) It limits my options considerably! There's something wrong when you can't find products made in Canada. (Sorry for getting political on here)

My next purchase will probably be a KitchenAid stand mixer... I've been eyeing those for a while! Uhmm.. please tell me they aren't made in China?!?!?

Chococrazy.

The place a few doors south of The Cookbook Store--the Kitchen and Glassware Place (or something like that)--is great for glassware and good for gadgets. I bought a Bron mandoline for $169 there a few weeks ago (it is $200 to $220 in most other places). Superb service.

Placewares in St Lawrence Market is good for inexpensive gadgets. Zesters, spatulas, cannisters, cutting boards etc.

A few doors south of Fortune (on Spadina) is Tap Phong, which has an amazing array of dishes and cheap cookware and a good assortment of small appliances. Best (if not only) place in Toronto to get sticky rice steamers and huge Thai green granite mortar and pestles.

Williams and Sonoma is also good and suprisingly cheap. For example, many stores are selling the large Oxo Good Grips Salad Spinnner for $45 to $50. It's $38 at W and S.

Nikolau's is also great. They have a couple ISI foamers that I am eying.

Caynes (way up north somewhere) is a great place for very low prices on small appliances. (I've heard).

Happy shopping.

Williams and Sonoma is also good and suprisingly cheap. For example, many stores are selling the large Oxo Good Grips Salad Spinnner for $45 to $50. It's $38 at W and S.

I agree. Contrary to what you might think, I have ofter found good deals at Williams-Sonoma. They must do them as "loss leaders".

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com

I'll have to check out the place by the Cook Book Store My next purchase will probably be a KitchenAid stand mixer

Two comments

1. I also endorse the place just south of Cookbook store

2. For kitchenaid, also check out The Bay (or maybe Sears - can't recall which one I used). In their "Big" Sales, Kitchenaid appliances are cheaper there than any of the specialty stores.

To make matters difficult, when I shop I make it a point to check the tag to see where the item is made (I refuse to buy any products made in countries with horrible human rights records....) It limits my options considerably! There's something wrong when you can't find products made in Canada. (Sorry for getting political on here)

I'm sorry to get political here too, but Are you kidding??? Do you know how many thousands upon thousands of illegal aliens have entered North America since the 1980s in search of the American dream only to find themselves forced to work sweat shops and appalling, inhumane conditions? That sweater in your closet or that outfit purchased at the local mall or those pots that proudly claim they are made in Canada or the United States may well have been produced by some poor schmuck who barely makes minimum wage under in miserable, slave-like conditions. Don't kid yourself. North America does not have a human rights record we can truly be proud of.

I don't mean to be nasty, but it just irks me when North Americans take a holier than thou stance when we ourselves have some pretty bad human rights attrocites in our own back yard.

Okay, I'm sorry, but I'll get off my soap box now.

Hi Cwyc,

Thanks for your post. I am fully aware that there have been grave injustices in North America and that no country is perfect. I am definitely not taking a holier than thou approach. However, if we take your words:

Do you know how many thousands upon thousands of illegal aliens have entered North America since the 1980s in search of the American dream only to find themselves forced to work sweat shops and appalling, inhumane conditions?

I think there's a world of difference between someone who thought they could have an easy life here in North America and made a wrong choice to enter illegally, and subsequently have to fight to survive, versus citizens of China, Tibet, and East Turkestan who are trying to live their lives in their own countries, yet are constantly denied their basic human rights and freedoms (as outlined by the Universal Declaration of Human Rights).

China is a country that actively tortures its citizens. Everyone knows that. Amnesty has a site in Chinese if you would like to browse it www.endtorture.org and this site in English.

Besides, my post wasn't "Everyone should boycott China", it was "I boycott China". As a rule, I don't impose my views on others. That is what the problem is in this world. Everyone has an opinion, everyone SHOULD have the opportunity to voice it.

Finally, I'd just like to state that I'm not a China hater. My best friends are Chinese. I almost married a Hong Kong man (who I'm still great friends with), and I am always the first person to suggest going to my favourite Shanghai dumpling place for dinner (was just there on Monday).

But what I do not support is the corrupt government who thinks that torturing people into submission will stop them from wanting human rights. I do not support a government who thinks that a few token prisoner releases will make people forget the cruel atrocities that continually go on. And I back up my views by avoiding products made in China.

Having personally met a number of people who have fled China and Tibet, and hearing them recount their torture in detail, it is the least that I could do.

Chococrazy

"Some of my best friends are Chinese", "I almost married one of them", "I loove their food" Boy are we ever slinging the old chestnuts today!

Choco, look beyond your comfortable ivory tower. Have you ever been inside a Canadian prison? a First Nations reservation in Labrador? Ever been dropped off in -40 dgree weather with summer clothes? The pristine True North is not so pristine, eh?

China currently manufactures roughly 42% of all consumer goods world wide.What are you going to do when 85% of the manufactured consumer goods are made in China?

Choco, look beyond your comfortable ivory tower. Have you ever been inside a Canadian prison? a First Nations reservation in Labrador? Ever been dropped off in -40 dgree weather with summer clothes? The pristine True North is not so pristine, eh?

There is not a single day in my life where I am not thankful that my parents were able to come to this great country as refugees. Their experiences, and mine have molded me into a person that cares about others... not only the ones in Canada, but in others. It is for this reason that I spend about 10 hours a week volunteering for various organizations. No.. I haven't been inside a Canadian prison. But I have been inside a men's shelter in downtown Toronto, I have talked with people there and have seen the appalling conditions. No, I haven't been at a First Nations reservation in Labrador... but I make it a point to talk to the homeless on the streets, listen to their stories and give them a warm meal when I can. I've volunteered in food kitchens, helped newly arrived refugees adapt and served on various charitable committees, all without being paid a cent.

So PLEASE do not try to paint me into a person that sits at home and complains about the world. I firmly believe that actions speak stronger than words. This thread was NOT meant to be me forcing my opinion, that part of not buying goods made in China was just a sidenote in my quest for more kitchen accessories! (But what a can of worms I opened up).

China currently manufactures roughly 42% of all consumer goods world wide.What are you going to do when 85% of the manufactured consumer goods are made in China?

Find the 15% that aren't made in China, and buy them. :biggrin: Why? Because I can.

Just a few years ago, China was accepted as a member of the World Trade Organization. It is quickly being recognized as a global super power in technological and economic development. I'll bet you donuts to dollars (just so we are still semi-talking about food) that computer chip in your pc was probably manufactured in China. Multinationals (including American and Canadian ones) are entering in hoards to take advantage of Chinese labour be it high tech or low tech. In many cases, companies offer housing to the workers, training, development and advancement they would never otherwise enjoy.

I'm not saying we can ignore civil liberties and basic human rights. What I'm saying is that when broad statements like, I don't buy anything from China or from Mexico or from whereever, we should think long and hard, and do some well informed research before we make broad stroke comments. Those items manufactured in China or anywhere else for that matter is advancing the opportunities of workers in that country.

Furthermore, there is no such thing that is produced in just one country. Every part has an origin. Every idea has an origin. Anything we buy nowadays can have come from multiple sources. This is what globalization is all about.

Kudos to you for having Chinese friends. But that's irrelevant.

Try Tap Phong on Spadina & Dinetz restaurant supply on King St E (near Jarvis). Can recommend a few used restaurant equipment stores but mainly only for fridges.

Also M. Wilson Actioneers in Markham (DVP & Steeles) for the occaisional action off of all contents from failed restaurants (great bargains)

momike

just noticed in today's National Post that Wm. Ashley's (no affiliation with store) is having their annual warehouse sale (advert in first section of paper) Ashley's for those unfamiliar with the name is a high end china, crystal & goodie store on bloor St. They have a 10 day sale every November. Stock is augemented by other wholesalers & retailers so caveat emptor but bargains do exist & you can find some real quality stuff if you dig. Arrive early in day, lineups abound.

Hi!

Just wondering what your favourite kitchenware store is in Toronto. I need to do some purchasing! (my poor wallet)

Chococrazy

I have good luck at HomeSense and Winners. They have really good names in cookware and bakeware and gadgets, often clearing them out at unbelievable prices.

Lately I've noticed a lot of gorgeous Mauviel saucepans, saute pans, stock pots and Windsor pans. Some are even marked down, the prices were already way below what you'd pay elsewhere.

• 2 months later...

Chococrazy, if you're still looking for kitchenware, Liquidation World is clearing out a whole bunch of Tramontina cookware, (sets, stockpots), knives, cutlery etc.

I got a 16 quart stockpot with tri-play encapsulated bottom for $29.99. I'm pretty happy about the quality for the price. Chicken stock in it right now.

Does anyone know where I can find more specialized pastry equipment like petits fours moulds, metal cake rings, silicone moulds, polycarbonate chocolate moulds, etc? Are the stores listed below geared more for home cooks or for professionals. I guess I'm looking for stores that supply equipment to restaurants and pastry shops in the Toronto area(that are still open to the public of course!)

I'm asking since I'll be heading to Toronto for a few days and though i'd pick up some equipment that I can't get at home. thx for your help! :raz:

"Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where all the fruit is?" -Frank Scully

I have to give my blessings to Tap Phong and Fortune. Everytime I go shopping in Kensington/Chinatown I have to seriously control myself from buying "one more" gadget.

There's a place on College & Clinton that also deals in kitchen/restaurant supplies as well. I just look at the prices for most things at W&S and shirk away.

Choco:

About the Kitchen Aid mixer. You will notice that this specific product is almost always price restricted by the manufacturer. Just like Sony products, they are forced to keep all pricing the same. You may see some potential The Baie pricing on the lower end models but when you investigate the motor power, bowl quart size and stand or flex lift mechanism, you will realise that it gets really confusing.

Bottom line is, if you have more than one other person to feed or if you like to make bread or huge batches of cookies, don't even bother with the smaller motors, they will burn fast in this scenario. If you can, go for the big daddy.

That being said, do check out Kitchen aid web site, they very often sell reconditionned units with proper warranties, they simply have the motors re-spin and new brushes.

• 2 weeks later...

I do tend to do a lot of my kitchen shopping at William Sonoma. There's a great kitchen store in Oakville called To Set a Table. I also order a lot of stuff from Golda's Kitchen, an online Canadian kitchen store.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.