• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Misgabi - An Australian's week

misgabi

Grilled mango...Yum! :smile:

One thing we do with corn on the cob is take it out of the husks, wrap it in bacon, then foil and cook it on the grill for about 30-40 minutes, turning frequently.  It's just awesome that way.

=R=

Most things wrapped in bacon are...

Yeah, in fact, I'd probably go for grilled mango wrapped in bacon. Or just, you know, wrap the grill in bacon and fire that sucker up. :smile:

and in Japan a popular way to serve corn is to boil it and then toss it onto a grill and brush it with soy sauce until it starts to get black spots, this is a really wonderful treat! and for some reason it seems to be most popular at the rest areas on the freeways......... :blink:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Sorry not to respond for so long - We just went for the day to Griffith as hubby has to work tonight - just long enough for lunch and pick up supplies from a few wineries.

I am extremely pissed-off that my favourite winery was out of lemoncello :angry: and won't have any for a while.

For lunch I had the hugest antipasto platter I have ever seen. It had everying from semi-dried tomatos, olives and fetta to natural oysters, prawns and pate to artichoke hearts and salami. There was ciabatta (sp) and EVOO by the truckload - yummmmmmmmmmmm

With regard to the corn - if we can get them with the husks still on we do BBQ them however it seems to be a trend at the moment that the stores half husk them (maybe to show they are fresh or something????

I often grill my asparagus and then splash with balsamic vinegar (on the menu tonight)

We went to the farmers market today and have scored beautiful tomatoes, irish soda bread, chocolates to DIE for (butterscotch schnapps and baileys - called "cowboys" after the shooter - 'caus the real name is to rude to call a choccie) fresh ricotta, organic licquorice and glace figs :wub:

We are having yet more people over tommorow (one's my husband works with that I havn't even met yet) and will report once I decide what to do.

I can highly recommend the mango cheeks grilled or on the barbie with the dark brown sugar - takes them to a whole new level.

Misgabi, how do you make a shrimp kebab? Do you finely mince shrimp and then fashion it into balls with some binding agent (eggs, flour?)?

Nope, whole prawns (shelled) on skewers with lime slices intersperseds

Torakris: SEX, BOOZE and CATS

Have just seen your bio page (hence above!) Thankyou for replying to my blog - must get to Japan

ASAP :biggrin:

Sorry about that I really tried to get that cat talk out of there and send it back to the tommy bio where it belonged! :biggrin:

Come on over anytime! :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 1 month later...

Well as a newbie here I thought I'd join this food blog too. Like Misgabi I live in Australia... the Clare Valley to be precise which is about an hour and a half outside of Adelaide and a premier wine producing region. In my mind the best region BUT hey you can call me biased if ya want :biggrin: Luckily being so close to Adelaide my NYer wife and I can get to the farmer's market in the city and get everything from the mundane through to weird and wonderful, unluckily the town closest to where I live has 2 supermarkets which cater for boring country tastes ie meat and 3 veg. However that is slowly changing, and I've started noticing packs of dried shitake's, nori, fresh lemongrass etc etc etc THANK GOD!!!!

I do all the cooking in our household seeing that my wife, who lived in NJ and worked in Manhattan, idea of cooking was takeout, prepackaged stuff and things that took minimal time -read toast and jelly :biggrin:

Well tonight's our big New Years dinner and I'm going to make what her family have traditionally plus a few of my own extras... this is what it comes down to:

Grilled lobster (spiny tailed lobster which we call rock lobster) - brushed with fresh lime juice, EVOO, minced garlic, and a small amount of paprika (mine)

Steamed scallops on the half shell with lemongrass, garlic and some ginger (mine)

Tiger prawns in a marinara sauce over angel hair pasta (hers)

Butterflied tiger prawns stuffed with crab meat (hers)

Fillet steaks (RARE) stuffed with lobster and served with a hollandaise sauce (mine)

Because we're both white wine drinkers I'm thinking a couple of bottles of Annie's Lane chardonnay are going to go beautifully with all of this.

Somehow I don't think I'll be moving very far after all this so it'll be a nice quiet night watching the fireworks in Sydney on TV with some good music in the background.

And to all I hope you have a happy new year

All the best

Tom

I want food and I want it now

just so you know,

the foodblogs are currently on a weekly basis.

whoever completes one a particular week tags the person doing one the next week.

OOPS sorry :sad: I said I was a newbie

Edited by StInGeR (log)

I want food and I want it now

Sounds like a nice meal Tom.

Welcome to eGullet :smile:

You'll get the hang of the place soon enough.

Happy New Year to you as well.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com