• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where's the beef?

TrishCT

Trish,

Not to be a wiseguy, but it sounds to me like you need a copy of Meat Me in Manhattan! (Buy It!) You really need to think it though, because you only have a few meals. The best steakhouse in Manhattan, for my money, is Sparks. Brooklyn's Peter Luger is the gold standard, but because of the way they slice up the steak while still hot, it's sometimes not as enjoyable as Sparks, where the juices have time to reabsorb back into the meat. (Also, I like Sparks' hash browns more.)

Sammy's Rumanian is a must-visit, esp. for the Rumaninan tenderloin, the rib steak, the veal cutlet, and (especially) the chopped liver.

Katz's is the best deli, although the Carnegie is open later, easier to get to, and more reliable -- and nearly as good. Don't go to the Second Avenue Deli under any circumstances. It's a huge rip-off, and the sandwiches are little better than what you would get in a Las Vegas tribute restaurant.

Go to New York Noodletown for great char siu (roast pork), duck, and suckling pig over rice.

There are many great meats in Manhattan. And only one book is devoted to them!

your pal,

Mr. Cutlets

Mr-Cutlets.com: your source for advice, excerpts, Cutlets news, and links to buy Meat Me in Manhattan: A Carnivore's Guide to New York!

Dear Mr. Cutlets,

Thank you for the recommendations. Of those you mentioned I have just been to Peter Luger's so far, and the steak was so good I have trouble ordering it out anymore.

I intend on buying your book, sounds great!

-Trish

Don't go to the Second Avenue Deli under any circumstances.  It's a huge rip-off, and the sandwiches are little better than what you would get in a Las Vegas tribute restaurant.

...Just a wonderin' what a Las Vegas tribute restaurant is....

they're theme restaurants dedicated to aping their betters -- e.g. "cap'n mcallisters original chowder-house," "the New York Deli," "Old Sambo's BBQ," etc. etc. Second Avenue Deli is a self-parody, in other words. Head to Katz's.

yours,

Mr. Cutlets

Mr-Cutlets.com: your source for advice, excerpts, Cutlets news, and links to buy Meat Me in Manhattan: A Carnivore's Guide to New York!

they're theme restaurants dedicated to aping their betters -- e.g. "cap'n mcallisters original chowder-house," "the New York Deli," "Old Sambo's BBQ," etc. etc.  Second Avenue Deli is a self-parody, in other words.  Head to Katz's.

yours,

Mr. Cutlets

Wow, I'm impressed...an answer without a plug to buy his book....

(I'm buying it anyway...hope you will autograph it :smile: ...)