• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Professional Knife Sharpening in Toronto

dennis77

What about the knife sharpening dude with the cart and the bell? He's been around since I was a kid. If you live between Eglington, Keele, the Lake and the Don Valley, he must surely come around with his whetting stone on wheels!

It's all very old world fun and he sharpens like a mad man!

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com

• 6 months later...

Ah yes....the guy with the "stone on a cart" and that bell.

Give him your lawn-mower blades to sharpen maybe. I let him ruin a perfectly good 8" 4-Star chef's knife many years ago...figuring I would get some kind of lost "old-world" talent or something. What I got was a completely ruined chef's knife.

Just get a wet stone and learn how to use it.

KGB

I haven't seen the guy with a cart and a bell, but I remember a guy with a step van at Yonge and Lawrence, and another in Scar/Pickering where I am now. They use a large grinding wheel operated electrically. It will heat up and gouge your nice blades much more than a whetstone, or a water cooled grinder. Should be OK for the average set of Henckels from Sears.

I wonder what technique Embros usues?