• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barbecue

Varmint

And what is the best ambassador of Carolina bbq in the north?

Fink's Funky Chicken & Ribs in River Edge, NJ

Very nice pulled pork, w/out too much sauce. Whole smoked chickens. He bought well used his Southern Pride smoker off eBay from a Piggly Wigglies I think. Easy drive out from NYC, PM us, we'll meat you there.

Fink was also our provider of Pigs at the NJ Pig BBQ and Potluck. While we didn't cook the pigs ourselves, our attendance was tremendous and we had a LOT of side dishes to go along with the pigs. And Fink's pigs were stellar.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...&t=22375&st=520

(click and scroll down to see all the pics)

Here's Fink dispensing some pig, and the pig itself:

njpigbbq-fink2.jpg

njpigbbq-pig.jpg

If you want to see the pics in Super High Res, here's the ImageStation album:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289058577

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Mr. Cutlets,

I agree with everything on your Billl of Rights except for article 5 about the sides. I know those sides are traditional but, for me, this is a tradition that is respected only every now and then. I love mac and cheese, collards, hush puppies etc. but to me these are more delicious Americana lark than personal tradition. I sometimes go the traditional route but more often than not substitute whatever I feel like, leafy greens included. It's always seemed peculiar to me that people insist on cheap white bread, for example, as if a more substantial loaf disrespects the sublime meat. But slopping coleslaw on a sandwich is respectful? I don't get it. For me, bbq is about the meat and I feel no obligation to go all Hee Haw with the sides. Often I like to rub a pork shoulder with only salt and pepper and then I have a lot of flexibility with the leftovers. I can crisp them in a hot iron skillet then eat them plain or with corn tortillas and salsa verde or wrapped in lettuce Thai-style or piled on rye with mustard and sauerkraut. I am now banned from the Carolinas.

"Tis no man. Tis a remorseless eating machine."

-Captain McAllister of The Frying Dutchmen, on Homer Simpson