• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Elk

Okay I goofed up and put this question on the wrong thread, as usual. But I'd like to ask you if you think thawing out a large roast would benefit from thawing under a damp towel to allow some air at it, as opposed to in a bag, which seems to me to encourage that slooshy blood to rise to the surface. Whatcha think?

Maybelline,

I've often had the same problem with meats that friendly hunters and farmers give me frozen. I doubt whether anything you can do on your end can help the situation. When imprefectly butchered, most meat will bleed copiously in the bag, leaving you with an often chewy, unjuicy dinner. Hopefully, some of the the cooks and hunters on the board here can step in and help; many are much more accomplished at preparing game meats for freezing and cooking than I am. I find that lean meats like venison, game, and even some pork tend to be harmed by freezing: the formation of ice crystals within cell walls creates irreparable damage to the meat itself when they thaw. As with any meat, a slow defrost inside the refigerator is probably the best you can do.

yours,

Mr. Cutlets

Mr-Cutlets.com: your source for advice, excerpts, Cutlets news, and links to buy Meat Me in Manhattan: A Carnivore's Guide to New York!