• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Removing wine stains

tommy

the october issue of Food & Wine mentions a product called "Erado-sol". it suggests that this product removes all traces of both fresh and old stains. any experience with it?

it also suggests that a mixture of equal parts hyrdogen peroxide and Dawn dishwashing detergent works, and Spray n Wash as well.

any tips?

I have always used club soda for an immediate fix, hydrogen peroxide for longer term stains. You do have to be careful with the peroxide since it will bleach some things... Like basset hounds...

True story... Big red wine spill on a tile floor woke up the ancient and venerable Sophie. She had these white paws. Well, she was poddling around "helping" to clean up. The wine got on her white paws and tan ears and she was stained this funny color. I decided to use some peroxide on her to "clean her up". The white parts were fine but the tan parts were bleached blonde. She sure looked funny for a while. She also got drunk and had a hangover. A hungover basset is a sad sight.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

If I had used white wine on Sophie, she would have just lapped that up, too. :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I've been very successful with red wine on khaki shorts and on a light green slipcover by immediately rinsing well with cold water and then thoroughly saturating with Spray and Wash, and letting it sit for a day or two before I wash in cold water.

specifically, i'm interested in how to get stains out of furniture fabric.  this has always been a problem in my home.  :biggrin:

You might want to consider plastic slipcovers :wink:

Edit: elyse beat me to it :biggrin:

Edited by Blondie (log)

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

Tommy, I saw that blurb too. I have never seen it before, but I have used Wine Away and it works great. I get it from Wine Enthusiast. A dilute Simple Green also will work, but you do have to be careful if you're using it on a white or offwhite carpet :wacko: . The Dawn and H2O2 and the Spray and Wash it says only works with stains that aren't set; I can tell you for a fact that it's true. Suppposedly if you rub salt on the stain immediately, it helps as on a tablecloth, but I'm sorry, somehow I just don't feel like upending the salt shaker in the middle of a dinner party. I have in the past used soda water on a white sweater that someone spilled red wine on, but it had only marginal results. I think I've tried every trick in the book, lol...lots of red wine catastrophes here :wink: . Wine Away works the best so far. Cheers! :biggrin:

Folex, purchased at Long's Drugs, neutralizes red wine. I rushed out to buy it after witnessing red wine spilled on white carpet. The homeowner was not upset. She simply squirted Folex and blotted it with a rag, and the stain was completely gone. It doesn't work like bleach, but enzymes or something.

Vinyl slipcovers?

Growing up, I had friends whose parents put slipcovers on everything. Not the kind of life I want to lead.

If you haven't lounged on vinyl slipcovers naked and jumped up to answer the phone, you haven't lived.

A hungover basset is a sad sight.

How can you tell if a basset is hungover? It already has red-rimmed eyes and it's gait is slow and rumbling.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

• 8 months later...

Is this what you have sought for years as a resolution to your wine stains on clothes or tablecloths or anything? Note, please, Daniel Rogov's website in the text ... :biggrin:

At www.stratsplace.com, an online bulletin board for wine enthusiasts, I found the alleged miracle home remedy of "Patty S": Mix nearly equal parts of Dawn, Woolite or any other liquid soap with household-strength hydrogen peroxide. Patty said to use whatever soap is specific to your problem -- rug shampoo for carpets, Woolite for sweaters -- and go a little heavier on the peroxide, the handy household cleaning staple called on to fix everything from cuts and scrapes to leftover salad and houseplants.

Has anyone ever tried this "solution" to an age-old problem?

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"