• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian restaurants

Episure

There are chains of Chinese, Japanese, Mexican, Italian, Jamaican restaurants( to name a few ethnic ones.) and whether you are a fan or not, the fact is that chain restaurants do a fair bit to promote that Country's cuisine. This ultimately benefits stand alone operators too as more diners become exposed to the cuisine.

Why hasn't any Indian restaurant come to the fore?

My guess is that the cuisine has to be doctored a little bit to give it broader appeal.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Episure (log)

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

Bombay Palace is the only one I can think of on a Global basis.

I am sure we shall see more in future but in the US, with the current shortage of kitchen personel and current immigraion/labor laws, unless we can train locally available manpower the likelyhood seems dim.

We are seeing much more of pre-packaged, ready to eat Indian meals on supermarket shelves and I guess will have to depend on them to popularise the cuisine.

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

and there's a series of "india's tandooris" in los angeles.

in addition to everything else i think it is a matter of time. indians in the u.s have not yet achieved critical mass except in a few areas. they've only just begun to show up in non-caricaturish bit-parts on t.v and in hollywood movies. i say it takes another 5-10 years for something to spring up outside of just a few metro areas.

Bombay Palace is the only one I can think of on a Global basis.

I am sure we shall see more in future but in the US, with the current shortage of kitchen personel and current immigraion/labor laws, unless we can train locally available manpower the likelyhood seems dim.

We are seeing much more of pre-packaged, ready to eat Indian meals on supermarket shelves and I guess will have to depend on them to popularise the cuisine.

How many branches is Bombay Palace?

The prepackaged meals will help those with some exposure to Indian cuisine but somehow I dont see a newbie buying them.

Some of these new retort pack meals are excellent at 1 $ a pack( Bombay) for one. They've taken the fun out of my camping trips though.

In NJ, Maharani is a fairly well known Indian chain.

Hello Founder!

What I meant was a bigger chain, big enough to introduce a larger populace to Indian cuisine. Big enough to have nationwide marketing muscle and avail of scale economies.

How many branches is Bombay Palace?

The prepackaged meals will help those with some exposure to Indian cuisine but somehow I dont see a newbie buying them.

Bombay Palaces are in Washington DC, NYC, Houston, Frisco, Montreal, Toronto, London, New Delhi, Mexico, Malaysia, Newzealand etc. Someone told me they are in Moscow, Budapest, and a few other countries too. Their website did not list all those locations so maybe others are using their name without their knowing it, which happens a lot in cae of Indian restaurants.

Regarding the prepackaged stuff I think you are right Episure, the only exception I can think of are American vegetarians who for variety ( due to limited veg offerings elsewhere) might pick up the stuff and get addicted.

Bombay Curry Company

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

To add a bit of detail to the Bombay Palace story: they are owned by Sant Singh Chatwal, perhaps the most visible Sikh businessman in the United States, as well as Bill and Hillary Clinton's favorite restauranteur.

Owns the Hampshire Hotel chain and Bombay Palace. Got into trouble a few years ago for various dicey contributions to the Clintons' campaigns and for assorted other financial matters too murky to mention in both India and U.S.

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

I *wish* Baluchi's would come to DC. That is on my list of things I miss most about living in NYC, no doubt. I can't speak for its authenticity, but for variety, value, customer service AND the fact that their locations deliver...I miss it so much.

DC has some great Indian offerings, however it's Baluchi's I crave.

I *wish* Baluchi's would come to DC.  That is on my list of things I miss most about living in NYC, no doubt.  I can't speak for its authenticity, but for variety, value, customer service AND the fact that their locations deliver...I miss it so much.

DC has some great Indian offerings, however it's Baluchi's I crave.

Now these Baluchi's guys definetley seem to be doing the right things and have the makings of a chain as Epiure describes it.

Off the thread question, JennyUptown, what were your favorite selections at Baluchi's? Maybe we can can direct you to some places in your neighborhood.

Bombay Curry Company

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

I generally stick to basic lamb or chicken dishes (I don't eat seafood), but I'm learning to like my veggies too. Would appreciate recommendations, for sure!

I frequent the usual suspects like Indique (yum!) and Heritage India (yum, but the service...!!). Didn't think much of Delhi Dhaba or the one on the West End of M Street (not Amma...Aroma, perhaps?).

hi everyone,

Im from Chennai India and this is my first post on egullet.

There's Komalas I guess which is a South Indian chain of Singaporean origin(I could be wrong). It's opened an outlet here but is finding it very difficult to cope with the competition from the local Saravanaas and Sangeethas :biggrin:

have never been there though, so I can't say anything about the food.