• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wonderful American Alambic Brandy

wesza

My son presented me with a bottle of Brandy from near his home in Mendocino Ca, the "Germain- Robin Company", in Ukiah, Ca.

They are manufacturing world class Alambic Brandies that are amazing.

We opened a bottle, for my birthday called: "Anno Domini", it was so wonderfull, that I compared it with my bottle of Remy Martins, "Louie IV", and it was smoother, richer actual better then the Remy. I've had the opportunity of trying the majority of the finest French Cognacs, Armargacs and Calvadoes and this American made Brandy was equal to the best.

After I tried this Brandy, and found out what it cost I told him to take it home and save it for special family occasions. I did keep a bottle of their XO Brandy to enjoy in the future.

I'm wondering if anyone else on eGullet is familiar with these products. Is this a new trend?

The internet address is: http://www.germain-robin.com

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

There are a few US companies making really good alambic brandies, and Germain- Robin is one of them. The other companies I know about are Jepson and RMS. For those that can't spring for the high-end Germain-Robin brandies, RMS makes a really decent lower priced brandy that goes for around $30 a fifth. It mixes really good sidecars.

regards,

trillium

The "base model" Germain Robin is ~$35/ bottle. Better than most cognacs I've had -- but I'm not a big cognac fan. Shareholder's Reserve is very good too, I think $10 more a bottle. Another excellent California distiller is St. George in Alameda (the guy is alsatian, and he makes a kickass Williams Pear). There is a guy in Portland too, I think it's called Clear Creek.

There are a few US companies making really good alambic brandies, and Germain- Robin is one of them.  The other companies I know about are Jepson and RMS.  For those that can't spring for the high-end Germain-Robin brandies, RMS makes a really decent lower priced brandy that goes for around $30 a fifth.  It mixes really good sidecars.

regards,

trillium

My boyfriend adores both French cognacs and American alembics. He has several of GRs and we visited the RMS where he acquried their version of XO.

Sadly, RMS does not exist anymore -- they folded a year-and-a-half ago. Apparently, right after our last visit, everything was sold off at 75% off. We even heard that they were considering just scrapping the stills but *someone* bought them. I loved RMS' Pear de Pear and am now cherishing my last bottle...

:sad:

I found this website because I was trying to find a way to get another bottle of Pear de Pear (without having to take another trip to California). I am crushed to hear that it is no longer made.

Any suggestions on a decent substitute pear brandy? Anything in a similar price range.

In the meantime, I'm off to drown my sorrows in the final few drops of my last bottle.

Thanks.

Thanks - I did turn up that site before, but just as you saw they've sold out.

I'll keep hunting for final bottles out there, but at some point I'll need to find a substitute pear brandy.

Let me know if you discover anything good.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Sadly, RMS does not exist anymore -- they folded a year-and-a-half ago.

Carolyn,

You sure about RMS' demise?

I picked up a bottle of the VO on Saturday & I spoke with my wine/liquor guy this afternoon, noting what you said about the folding of RMS.

He didn't know about this but he wasn't confident in his knowledge either.

Any more on this?

BTW, G-R doesn't sell in Michigan anymore (long story). :sad: