• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Taverna Agora

Zeb A

We were driving down Glenwood the other day and, for the first time, noticed Taverna Agora. Evidently, it opened a couple months ago. We stopped in and did not exactly have a full dinner. Instead, we ate various appetizers etc. Everything was very good. We haven't had a good Greek restaurant in Raleigh for ages (ever?). Sure, Neomonde is a good place to get groceries etc., and I suppose you can sit there and eat, but I wouldn't really call it a restaurant. In contrast Taverna Agora, though not exactly in an ideal location, was very nice. It also had a nice bar. The crowd seemed lively, and happy. (Oddly, the restaurant sign indicated that it was open to 2:00 AM each night. Late night Ouzo crowd I guess.) So, although I really haven't had enough experince with the restaurant to have a definitive opinion, I was fairly impressed and will definitely be going back.

Edit: Here's the address:

Taverna Agora

6101 Glenwood Ave.

Raleigh, NC 27612

919-881-8333

Edited by Zeb A (log)

Went to Taverna Agora on Sunday night and had a good time. I Don't know a thing about greek food except lemon, lamb, Olive oil and Oregano. I have a feeling that authenticity of cuisine was medicore, but the food was tasty and fairly priced. Check it out.

We were driving down Glenwood the other day and, for the first time, noticed Taverna Agora.  Evidently, it opened a couple months ago.  We stopped in and did not exactly have a full dinner.  Instead, we ate various appetizers etc.  Everything was very good.  We haven't had a good Greek restaurant in Raleigh for ages (ever?).  Sure, Neomonde is a good place to get groceries etc., and I suppose you can sit there and eat, but I wouldn't really call it a restaurant.  In contrast Taverna Agora, though not exactly in an ideal location, was very nice.  It also had a nice bar.  The crowd seemed lively, and happy.  (Oddly, the restaurant sign indicated that it was open to 2:00 AM each night.  Late night Ouzo crowd I guess.)  So, although I really haven't had enough experince with the restaurant to have a definitive opinion, I was fairly impressed and will definitely be going back.

Edit:  Here's the address:

Taverna Agora

6101 Glenwood Ave.

Raleigh, NC 27612

919-881-8333

I first heard about this restaurant when I attended the Greek Festival at the Raleigh Fairgrounds last month.

Since then, I've been wanting to dine at the restaurant and rang them nearly two weeks ago to ask them to fax a menu. I was told that it'd be faxed but it never arrived because I discovered (when I called a second time) that the fax was not able to send out but could receive.

To cut a long story short, I want to find a restaurant in the Durham/Chapel Hill/Raleigh area that serves mezze. I don't mean the appetizers but a mezze platter/entree that is a selections of mezze dishes that will make a meal.

In the UK, this is commonly found in authentic Greek restaurants and can only be ordered for at least two diners.

I've yet to find a place in the area that serves mezze this way.

Also, having dined at Neomonde Bakery very recently, I would describe it as more middle Eastern than Mediterranean, not that there's anything wrong with that. I really enjoyed their falafel.

Foodie_Penguin

To cut a long story short, I want to find a restaurant in the Durham/Chapel Hill/Raleigh area that serves mezze. I don't mean the appetizers but a mezze platter/entree that is a selections of mezze dishes that will make a meal.

In the UK, this is commonly found in authentic Greek restaurants and can only be ordered for at least two diners.

I've yet to find a place in the area that serves mezze this way.

Though not exactly the type of experience to which you refer, when we visited the restaurant, we ordered several appetizers and made a meal out of it. (A common approach for us.) They also had 2-3 appetizer platters on the menu. I can't recall how much they cost and whether they were meal sized or not, but, based on my experience, you could make something work here.

Regarding desserts, we, too, did not enjoy the ones we ordered.

• 2 weeks later...