• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yakisoba noodles

DRColby

I have the terrible problem of going to Costco, seeing something I think I can make great dinner out of. and then after I get home find out I have no idea how to use what bought.

The latest is four pounds of Yakisoba noodles ( think they are fresh. Anyhow now they are in my freezer). My first attempt - kind of a stir fry - ended in a very soggy mess. What I would like to get to is a salad or some kind of fish dish that utilizes these. Even better yet would be a recipe with wild mushrooms (I just picked some matsutakes, ruff stemmed boletes and a prince).

Recipes, suggestions, divine guidence, and instruction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

This thread might do better if it was in the cooking forum......

(I will see if I can get it moved)

I have to admit I have never really prepared yakisoba noodles for anything other then yakisoba :blink:

If they are the ones I am thinking of they are already cooked? and thus need a very short time in the pan with a small amount of liquid (1/4 to 1/3 cup per "ball") added at the same time.

They could probably be used in the same kind of recipes as Chinese egg noodles.

4 pounds, wow!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

in addition to what torakris mentioned...

saute your mushrooms with a little bit of soy, add some garlic at the end, make a complementary sauce for the noodles, heat them through and then toss in the mushrooms. anything like that would work.

also at asian markets, they sell a lot of pre-made sauces (like yakisoba) that you can use. they're usually a little strong or salty, so taste them and use them judiciously...

Yakisoba noodles are meant to be stir fried in a wok with oil over HIGH HEAT. I use them all the time but I have 15,000 BTU burners. Put your oil in your wok and turn the heat on as high as you can go, get the oil hot until it just smokes(peanut is the only oil to use) and add you noodles, the rest is basic heat tranfer and physics. -Dick

Thanks all for getting me on the right track. Think I have it down after two nights of experimenting. Last night was best, did the high heat-peanut oil method usiing some albacore chunks, the last of the garden goodies (Swiss chard, pettie pan squash, Napa cabbage) a sauce of soya, rice vinegar, fish sauce, saki, ginger and garlic. Add straw mushrooms, the noodles,cilantro and green onions at the end to warm. Very good.

Night before I tried a pork loin cut up with the Japanses cuttlet sauce; sauce was too heavy for my taste.

Anyhow I am dowen to about 3 pounds of noodles left in freezer and now know how to use them.

Thanks,

dave