• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Argan oil

Mabelline

It comes from a nut, and tastes like it. It is delicious, but it is hard to describe, because it tastes like what it comes from -- i.e., a nut that you haven't tasted. Walnut oil but not walnut-y? It is a delicate flavor, but quite noticeable (mixed 50-50 with olive oil in a salad dressing, for example). As with all nut oils, do not cook it.

It is really, really good.

Also, a friend brough me a bottle from Morocco, and it took quite a long time to go rancid -- several months, which is pretty good for a nut oil.

Edit: Here's an article (in French) about Slow Food and the women's cooperative they support that makes it. Couldn't find anything in english.

Edited by badthings (log)

It is usually used cold, often drizzled over salads or in some other manner that won't hide the flavour of the oil. One restaurant we frequented in Essaouira would give it to dip bread in, if asked (otherwise they would give olive oil). There's a sweet spread made with honey and roasted argan seed kernels, too.

Here's a link to a NYT article from 2001. There's a recipe for sweet couscous with argan oil on that same site, from the same article. There are many other links out there if you do a google search, but most have the same information. Interestingly, only one site I looked at actually mentioned how the argan seeds are harvested :biggrin: . It was amazing actually seeing goats eating the fruits in the trees. What a sight that was!

I still have a bottle or two of unopened argan oil. I fear I won't use it quickly enough so it will go stale before I've finished the bottle. I paid about $6 for 250 mL, but considering I was being paid Moroccan wages in Moroccan dirham, it was a lot of money at the time!

You will pay $25 here in the states for 8 ounces of decent argan oil.

If you have a choice, I suggest the toasted one. Try it drizzled over a mild goat cheese. It is delicious blended with toasted almonds and thyme honey and spread over small rounds of griddled semolina bread. This is called amalou or amlou. Three other ways to use it in a dribbling state: lentil and tomato soup; lamb and prune tagine; and over steamed couscous with almonds and dates.

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

Thank you all so much. I will be getting some very shortly. At least I won't have to worry about the heat harming it. I'm also very impressed with the women's cooperative producing it. I got a website last night in German (nope, don't speak German) and the pictures reminded me of the Papagos in the desert harvesting sajauro, mesquite,and nopals.