• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Koffman's Bleeding Heart?

From the "Homes & Property" section of todays Evening Standard:

Superchef Pierre Koffman is selling his five-bedroom Thirties house off Bayswater for a mouth watering £3.45 million through Ashdown Marks. The four storey property comes with a newly-installed state-of-the-art kitchen, wine cellar, cinema, staff annexe and ornamental garden.

The widowed French-born gastronome plans to use hte proceeds to reopn his three star Belgravia restaurant, La Tante Claire, which closed at the Berkeley Hotel two years ago having moved from Pimlico Road

Did La tante Claire used to be in Pimlico Road before Royal Hospital Road?

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Superchef Pierre Koffman is selling his five-bedroom Thirties house off Bayswater for a mouth watering £3.45 million

I always thought that old spiel about how you can't make money from a 3 Michelin starred restaurant was cobblers - give the staff rabbit heads for dinner, as (Koffmann reputedly did) and you too can own a 3.4 million pound house! Bloody good news though.

I always thought that old spiel about how you can't make money from a 3 Michelin starred restaurant was cobblers - give the staff rabbit heads for dinner, as (Koffmann reputedly did) and you too can own a 3.4 million pound house! Bloody good news though.

Yes it is good news maybe now I'll get a reply to my letter of complaint (not that I hold a grudge)

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

I hope he doesn't try to come back in at the top. Far better to copy Sanderens. Not trying for stars, just having fun sort-of-thing.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

• 1 year later...

I have also just heard in the rumour mill that he may be considering a comeback in one form or the other a la Robuchon - now that would be interesting!

Edited by ravelda (log)

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

I have also just heard in the rumour mill that he may be considering a comeback in one form or the other a la Robuchon - now that would be interesting!

Ravelda you certainly know 'the word on the street' about the imminent return of certain chefs, pray tell who is the shoeshine boy imparting such information :wink:

lol - rumours come from all over the place - but you would be amazed how many people talk to each other! The fact I have spend the past week with a number of well know chefs and ex-chefs certainly helps! Still just rumours, you never know, it could be that nothing comes of it....I am fairly confident that it has been heavily talked about though! Retiring can get awfully boring after such an adrenaline filled life!

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

... I have heard that he may be looking for a new space. I do hope these whispers about signs of activity are well-founded - London is much the poorer without his cooking and hospitality...

he's never stopped looking.

he has sold nearly all of his kit, which is an issue. but is still looking for a modern bistro like take on things.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

• 4 months later...
I heard something yesterday that was a little confused but suggested that Koffmann is now acting as a consultant to the Bleeding Heart.

This rumour popped up again in Joe Warick's restaurant news column in the Independent on Sunday magazine. I've just rung the restaurant and they tell me that Koffman has been consulting for them since January and works Monday to Thursday in the kitchen. I don't recognise anything particularly PK on the website menus but others may know better.

There is Scottish Salmon Confit in Olive Oil which is Koffman-esque although his version uses duck fat I think, and it might be possible that Suckling Pig in Four Ways with a Grain Mustard Sauce and Sautéed Provencal Vegetables includes a stuffed trotter but I don't know for sure.

Richard Vines (Bloomberg news) has written of this: http://tinyurl.com/yuv9sn. To wit,

"Koffmann is at the Bleeding Heart, near the City financial district. He's mentoring staff while the moderately priced restaurant is between chefs, said Georges Dugarin, operations director. The eatery hasn't publicized Koffmann's presence because he's a friend who is temporarily helping out, Dugarin said.

"...

"I had a wonderful lunch at Bleeding Heart on Friday."

• 1 month later...

Pierre Koffmann has been confirmed as one of the guests chefs at the Food and Wine festival at Nortcote Manor 21-27 January 2008. It hasn't been annouced which night he will cook on as yet. The other names are:

Angela Hartnett

Mark Edwards

Shaun Rankin (Bohemia, Jersey)

Shane Osborn

Philip Howard

Nigel Haworth

• 2 weeks later...

I had lunch at the Bleeding Heart a couple of weeks ago - I doubt Pierre was at the stove, as the lunch was as safe, pedestrian and over-priced as it always used to be. The only difference seems to be you can no longer forgo a pudding because you get some decent petits fours with your coffee - now all you get are some measly chocolates...

• 1 month later...