• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kohlrabi

• 1 year later...
I must confess that I have always found kohlrabi to be pretty bland and tasteless. Is there any way to give it some zip?

Slice them thin and then squeeze fresh lemon juice with sprinkle of salt. Deelish.

Not too much different than the rice vinegar and salt principle advised above.

Peeled, sliced. stir-fried with leftover siu yook with the now non crispy skin!

I like kohlrabi for the crunch and the sweetness. Sliced and cooked with pork broth and thin slices of lean pork makes a wonderfully light soup.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

One of my favourite soups is kohlrabi. Pork neck bones, juilenned kohlrabi, a slice of chung choy, a few dried shrimp, mmm mmm.

Stirfried, it is great too. My mother, and now me, always use diced kohlrabi and green peas in our havest time "yau fan".

I've never gotten around to cooking it. I always have good intentions but, before the pan gets hot, the kohlrabi has always disappeared. I'm a purist though. S&P, hold the acid.

BTW, I knew the German/English translation but had never heard the Hebrew one before. That's what I love about eGulleteers.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I don't think I've come across this vegetable before. Learning something new everyday. Is it similar to jicama?

Not in the slightest. It's a green, leafy vegetable with a head, and it's related to cabbage:

Results for a Yahoo! image search for kohlrabi.

The jicama is apparently a bean plant whose taproot is eaten, but the rest of which is highly toxic. Thanks for stimulating me to do this research on jicama, because I had no idea that it was a bean plant!!

Michael aka "Pan"

I LOVE kohlrabi! But the only way I've ever eaten it is sliced & sprinkled with salt. And I'm actually quite happy eating it that way. I've loved it since I was a kid.

Rock is dead. Long live paper & scissors!

I don't think I've come across this vegetable before. Learning something new everyday. Is it similar to jicama?

If you were blindfolded and tried kohlrabi, you'd find the texture in raw form is very firm and crunchy, closest to that of a carrot. The flavor is distantly reminiscent of the following: mild turnip, mild radish, celery, parsley, cabbage... Has a definite "crunch factor" when raw that is very satisfying.

In her vegetarian cookbook, Florence Lin gives a recipe for soy sauce pickles.

Essentially, thin slices of a crisp vegetable are sprinkled with sugar and salt, then allowed to "weep." These are then kept in soy sauce (do not rinse.)

Kohlrabi done this way is wonderful with jook and stays crisp "forever".

BB

Food is all about history and geography.