• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

La Cambusa in Fairlawn

shugga

I just received a gift certificate for La Cambusa in Fairlawn from someone I did a favor for.  I was wondering if anyone has been there and how the food was?  We will probably try it in a few weeks.  I will let you know what we think of it.

Life is too important to be taken seriously.[br]Oscar Wilde

• 1 month later...

Service is wonderful, professional and genuine, they have a regular following with a professional older group (age 70's) and they will rave about the food.  I have enjoyed the appetizers, a fine assortment of italian specialties, wonderful fresh peppers, cheeses - here is my hesitation - I became so ill one night after ordering a shrip dish, the same night my sister became ill and she had an eggplant/pasta dish - we were a group of 6 and the only 2 to become ill.

They have a wonderful selection of pasta dishes and will do half orders -- and if by chance you are not pleased, you can always go across the street to Johnny and Hanges for the best Chili dogs!!!

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

• 1 year later...

it replaced the New York Pizza Factory (thankfully).

went there the other night. quite decent i'd say. the room is nice, the service was really good, and the food was pretty damned good. a lot better than i was expecting. i've been meaning to try the fair lawn place (in fact, that was the plan that night until i remembered this one was open).

i think it's going to do veeeery well. get the sausage and broccoli rabe app. it's a very clean rendition of this dish.

byo obviously.

We went to La Cambusa when it was in Fairlawn. I had heard that it was moving last year. Good to hear that if has finally opened.

If I find the other post I'll bring it on up.

Life is too important to be taken seriously.[br]Oscar Wilde

• 5 weeks later...

We went to the newly opened La Cambusa in Ridgewood last night. I arrived thinking I was in for some good Italian food. Boy, was I wrong.

We began with a Caesar salad. It arrived looking like a bag of pre-chopped romaine had been put on a plate witha few boxed croutons -- not even Pepperidge Farm croutons! The dressing, although light and somewhat tasty, was barely there. I felt like I was eating plain lettuce.

We shared a half portion of lobster ravioli for an appetizer -- too bad it was delivered with our entrees. The ravioli was tasty but too al dente for me.

I ordered the chicken with portabella mushrooms. It was so dry, I could barely saw through it with my knife. The floured chicken breast was in a tasteless gravy that I could liken only to chicken stock mixed with white flour. The mushroom was equally tasteless and was served in three hunks on top of the chicken. Yes, hunks. Not even slices. I could not get over how this dish had absolutely no flavor. No wine, no garlic, no lemon, no balsamic...nothing. Not even a piece of green parsley. For the first time in a long time, I sent it back to the kitchen.

My companion has breaded veal topped with arugula (lightly dressed and spread over the plate in an unappetizing stack) with chopped anemic looking tomatoes and three hunks of fresh mozzarella (served cold.) The veal was breaded and fried. At least it was tender.

We were so disappointed, we paid the bill and left without dessert.

I know that this restaurant has a following, but if this meal is any indication of things to come, I choose not to be a member of that group.

Hopefully someone has a more promising story to tell about La Cambusa in Ridgewood.

Janbee

Lover of Broadway, beaches and chocolate.