• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

High end cookware in Singapore

I think there are a couple of Sing resident regulars on this board ... hopefully you are cooks as well as eaters. Where can I go on an upcoming trip to buy a good heavy roasting pan and a Le Creuset (or similar) covered roaster? Suggestions for cook-centric stores appreciated!

Other than Tang's, I would also try Robinson's and Takashimaya household departments. Le Creuset is available at Tang's and Taka.

As for heavy roasting pan, I bought mine at William Sonoma in San Francisco on my recent trip to US. There was an All-Clad sale.

Thanks both. Tonkichi, I was just in San Fran too and did consider the W-S roasting pan (I have a larger one from there that won't fit in my Asia-sized oven) ..... but the bags were stuffed (and too heavy)with too many other goodies not easily found in this neck of the woods...

Here's a teaser... where can I get a propane blowtorch in Singapore? Not one of those unglam ones with gas canister attached. I'm talking real hot and sexy blow-guns stuff like this

http://www.boswellsofoxford.co.uk/product_...p?intDescID=692

http://www.internetcookshop.com/viewdetail...?prodcode=HR491

The usual places, being the cookware shops along Temple Street in Chinatown, don't stock these sexy pipes.. With Culina trimming down their stock, does anyone else have any other ideas?

Edited by traminer (log)

• 2 weeks later...

It's not just Le Creuset cookware, but while Singapore is fantastic in terms of the range of good available, the prices just stink compared to Stateside (no surprise really, but please let me gripe anyway). I wanted to add to my Le Creusent collection but the prices are about 20-30% higher than in the US (retail) and much higher above US outlet prices (like the Le Creuset i got in Gilmore i think 2.5-3 gallons size for something like $70).

Unfortunately, it's just not practical to lug those things from the US- cast iron is almost as bad as carrying lead ingots in your check in luggage.

PS,try Sia Huat in China Town (i think temple road) for restaurant grade cookware. You wont find the well known US prosumer ware, but they carry other high quality brands.

Went shopping for turkey recently btw. SGD8 per kilo. Gawd help us. Goose costs SGD16 per kilo (of course this was at Tanglin Mall, a shopping center catering primarily to expats).

Edited by Wimpy (log)