• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Agriturismo Piemonte?

futronic

I've seen a lot of talk about Tuscany and and other regions, but haven't come across any information about agriturismo or apartment rentals in Piemonte. I plan on travelling there in mid-May 2004, and am looking for an apartment rental with a kitchen suitable for two people in and around the Barolo and Barbaresco DOCGs so I can visit various wineries in the area.

Since my trip will be a total of two weeks (one week each in Tuscany and Piemonte) I'll be look for a one week rental.

Any recommendations/suggestions would be appreciated.

See my comments on La Meridiana in Alba, I think on the Alba accomodations post. It is agroturismo, but not hard-core with meals. They have two or three apartments, one with a terrace (ask for it, and feel free to use my name-the owners are close friends). There is a fully equipped kitchenette/dining room and separate bedroom and bathroom. Perfect for two, and cheap to boot.

Bill Klapp

bklapp@egullet.com

An agriturismo Ca' dura baja www.cadurabaja.com was recommended to me by the manager of the Produttori del Barbaresco. We haven't stayed there, but it is near the town, and he seems like a reasonable guy. Do you know anything about this place, Bill?

Since there seem to be quite a growing interest in Piedmont, I thought the time would be right to introduce our services.

My wife and I have bought a cascina with a small Barberavineyard and moved to the heart of Piedmont a year ago.

We also have two brand new beautiful apartments for rent. For more information, please visit our websiteTenuta il Sogno. You may also contact us directly at info@tenutailsogno.com

Bill,

I've been in contact with Andrea Giacosa at La Meridiana and booked the apartment with the terrace for the week of 16 May. Thank you very much for your recommendation.

I understand that the third weekend in May hosts a festival in Barbaresco. As we'll be arriving at La Meridiana on Sunday, 16 May, do you think we'll still be able to take part in some of the festivities, or should we try to stay somewhere else for a single night on the Saturday?

Futronic, during that time, many of the local ristoranti offer special tastings of the newly released Barbarescos, so you won't be shut out, for sure, but, as I recall, you can kill many birds with one stone at the special events. One warning: there is an outfit called Minuto in the town of Barbaresco, and there stuff is strictly tourist-trap crap.

Bill Klapp

bklapp@egullet.com

In an email from Renzo Alluto at Ca' du Rabaja, he mentioned that Friday evenings in May they have the "dinner of Barbaresco" where you can taste 30 wines in one night at the Barbaresco district restaurant. I would assume that he is speaking about the Barbaresco dinners at Enoteca Regionale del Barbaresco?

I look forward to that night and would assume I need a reservation.

Bill, I looked at the ristoranti that hosted events this year, and this is what I came up with:

ANTICA TORRE

ANTINE'

RABAJA'

VECCHIO TRE STELLE

LA SQUOLA ALIMENTARE

LA CIAU DEL TORNAVENTO

OSTERIA DELL'UNIONE

TRATTORIA RISORGIMENTO

OSTERIA ITALIA

Assuming the same ristoranti will be used for Barbaresco 2001, which of them do you recommend?

It looks like we might be shortening our stopover in Alba by a few days so we can visit with la famiglia in Milano. The itinerary right now looks like 2, 4, 4, and 4 days in Milano, Alba, Montalcino, and ending with la famiglia in Pescara, respectively.

Thanks Bill. I really appreciate all the help. I'll do doubt be picking your brain (and others) in the months leading up to my holiday.

Believe it or not, this will be my first trip to Italia. I've got family there, but have never visited. Go figure.