• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vampire wines for Halloween?

MarkinHouston

The local wine shop is selling some wines labeled "Vampire" and produced in Transylvania, or modern-day Romania. The offerings include Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Chardonnay, and each is priced under $7 per bottle. Any experiences, good or otherwise, with these wines that "ignite the nocturnal passions"? The clerk mentioned a tasting earlier in the week and recommended the merlot and the cab, but his wine palate is suspected akin to his taste in tattoos---I prefer another opinion! Fangs for your help. :cool:

There is, or was, a Hungarian wine whose name in translation means "bulls blood." It was served to me by someone of Hungarian lineage. It was some time ago and I can't remember how good or bad it was, but it was an inexpensive wine. It was, at least, red, which I hope can't be said for the Vampire chardonnay.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

The Hungarian Egri Bukaver has nothing to do with the Transylvanian wines.

As far as the Vampire's line is concerned I would go for their simple straight forward merlot. Don't expect much and you might enjoy.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.