• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Staging in Spain

Bux, I don't get it - which restaurants take in foreign cooks for a fee?

I don't know the names of restaurants that take in foreign cooks for a fee. I've only heard that some do.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 1 year later...

Hello this is my first post, I am a cook in Madrid, Spain right now and I have just finished two and a half months of Spanish language courses here. I graduated from the CIA shortly ago as well and now I’m looking to secure a Stage in San Sebastian. I go up this weekend and have reservations at Arzak, Akelarre, and Mugiritz. I wanted to dine at these places before seeking a Stage at one of them. I have had some communication with Akelarre, and have one connection into the restaurant through a former Chef. However, I was wondering if anyone had advice on the best way to ask for a Stage at one of these places and generally what length of contract this caliber of restaurant usually requires, or any other advice on the best way to approach this situation…

There are a few posts that deal with that issue and we have several members that have done stages in Spain or are currently staging in the country. Hopefully, one of them will notice this thread and post some info in here.

In the meantime, take a look at these threads:

stage @ elbulli or celler de can roca, need some help

Visa inquiries?, How long can I stay?

Yet another hopeful stagiaire...., Looking for some work in Spain

Staggaires Story Continued, Moved to El Raco de Can Fabes

Martín Berasategui

Some of them were written by people who later did a stage. Keep us updated on your progresses.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

Usual contract length is 4-6 months.

I know two people who secured stages at Mugaritz and Berazategui without having an "inside contact".

The guy who went to Berazategui called several times until he managed to talk to someone who could give him more information, while the one who is going to Mugaritz did the whole thing through email (he was coming from a previous stage at TFD, though).

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

Usual contract length is 4-6 months.

I know two people who secured stages at Mugaritz and Berazategui without having an "inside contact".

The guy who went to Berazategui called several times until he managed to talk to someone who could give him more information, while the one who is going to Mugaritz did the whole thing through email (he was coming from a previous stage at TFD, though).

Thanks for the info. I am getting ready for my trip right now and I am trying to finish all of my reasearch so that I am prepared to talk with Chef´s there.

I think that in the cases of Berasetegui, Arzak, and Akelarre, many of the people there are stagiares, working for room and board. Definitely, the michelin restaurants have programs that will accept stagiares for a season(4-6 months). Unless you are set at working at these places right away, you may find more success working at other restaurants, learning the language, making contacts with fellow spanish cooks, and then visiting the big guys.

My experience with working in San Sebastian was helped greatly by a visit to the Escuela Luis Irizar. Luis Irizar is a statesman of Basque cuisine and his school is linked with restaurants all over Spain, and many right in San Sebastian. They will know the right person to talk to at all the restaurants, something that will be very useful.

One thing that helped when we met with Martin Berasetegui, is that he also speaks French if your Spanish isn't so great.

Good luck!

you never know, it could happen...

I think that in the cases of Berasetegui, Arzak, and Akelarre, many of the people there are stagiares, working for room and board.  Definitely, the michelin restaurants have programs that will accept stagiares for a season(4-6 months).  Unless you are set at working at these places right away, you may find more success working at other restaurants, learning the language, making contacts with fellow spanish cooks, and then visiting the big guys.

My experience with working in San Sebastian was helped greatly by a visit to the Escuela Luis Irizar.  Luis Irizar is a statesman of Basque cuisine and his school is linked with restaurants all over Spain, and many right in San Sebastian.  They will know the right person to talk to at all the restaurants, something that will  be very useful.

One thing that helped when we met with Martin Berasetegui, is that he also speaks French if your Spanish isn't so great.

Good luck!

Thank you very much for the information, that is very positive. I understand compleatly that these sort of restaurants are "room and board" only situations. I am very ready to accept that. Thank you for the contact with Escuela Luis Irizar, is the school in San Sebastian? Do they have a web site? That sounds like a very good lead. Thank you so much for the help.

. . . . .

Thank you for the contact with Escuela Luis Irizar,  is the school in San Sebastian?  Do they have a web site? That sounds like a very good lead.  Thank you so much for the help.

Yes, they're located at San Sebastián and this is their site: Escuela Luis Irízar.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)