• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wedding on Saturday...Stuff to know?

jokhm

This Saturday I'll be going to one of my friend's wedding which will be taking place at a Hindu temple in Montreal. I'm quite excited at the idea of such an event. Having never been to anything like this before, are there any customs or general issues that I should be aware of prior to going? Any other things that I can expect to see? Tell all...!!

-- I'm not just excited about the food.. don't be silly. -- .........--

Joel

Wear loose fitting comfortable clothes as you will most likely have to sit on the floor for the duration of the ceremony. Grab a place next to a pillar or wall to lean against as sometimes the event can be painfully long. Make sure your socks don't have holes as you will have to take off your shoes. Simlpy watch what is happening around you, make a new friend who will guide you. Nothing to worry about, just go and have fun.

I would be curious to learn of your impression of the wedding.

Bhasin

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

Make sure that you're going to get Indian food at the reception before you get your taste buds set for good curry and rich daal. At my cousin's wedding, we found out just before the ceremony that the reception site wouldn't allow the bride's family to provide their own caterer. No elephant for the groom, either.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

jokhm

this may be irrelevant but theres a film call Monsoon Wedding, i suggest you rent it, will give you great audio visual simulation.

"Burgundy makes you think of silly things, Bordeaux

makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them." Brillat-Savarin

ah wow

this looks great!

Yeah, I did see Monsoon Wedding, cute movie. I don't know what they will be able to do with an elephant here. It is about 40F degrees at the moment. Although they do have those ...arctic species,.. never know.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way worried or apprehensive about this. I can't wait. And I've also very interested to see my own impression of the day.

I'd like to know more about the way the day is structured, since at the moment it looks overwhelmingly spread out and heavy.

Reception of Barat:9:30am

Wedding ceremony: 11am

Lunch: 1pm

Doli: 2pm

Reception: 7pm

heh

wow..

I'm used to Jewish weddings, with all the different family affairs surrounding the ceremony... but this puts it to shame! :)

Joel

An Indian wedding is a big once in a lifetime event. Please read the following with a pinch of salt( But only a pinch!) :biggrin:

On the arrival of a newborn, the father will make friends with caterers and over the period of years shortlist one to cater to the wedding. He will also go about cultivating a guest list that may run into thousands. Here in India a few foreign friends are hosted all the way from their respective countries to add glitter to the wedding.

Apart from the Indian regional, foreign cuisine is a must, so there has to be Italian, Chinese, Lebanese, Mexican, Thai, French........

More often than not there is a professional team of Cameramen, Director, Gaffers, Gantry crane operators, Video editor... in short a complete Movie crew, you get the picture?

I have been to a few weddings like this.

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

it is customary for every male guest to kiss the bride's mother. as part of the tradition, which requires loud protestations of virtue from the matron, she will act surprised, and sometimes even offended, but the true offence is  to not kiss her.

MONGO!!

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia