• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian food and wine

Dr Vino

German wines at the Kabinett and Spatlese levels often work very well, as does a semisweet basic Vouvray (Champalou's, for instance). I've never tried it, but I think that Moscato d'Asti would be wonderful. Any semisweet bubbly would probably work.

Lee

--- Lee

Seattle

We recently gave a party at Tabla (not strictly an Indian restaurant), and served a Cousino-Macoul cabernet from Chile. It went perfectly, though we did not have any very spicy dishes. I often order an Oregon or California Pinot Noir at this restaurant (they get great things I can't find in stores), and the Shiraz recommendation seems right as well.

There is a long and interesting thread about this subject in the India folder. I am in the drink cold beer or cold water camp on this one. There is no long standing tradition in India of drinking western style wines with meals. Personal assessment: nothing goes with Vindaloo.

Mark

Monica, thanks for the thread! We eat quite often on Devon St in Chicago and I don't remember any wines being offered. What I remember is great food with a fabulous array of spices. After I was introduced to the Mango Lassi along with the 'healing' properties of dairy, that is my beverage of choice. -Dick

• 2 weeks later...

Am a newbie to the wine forum here.. based on my 27 years of starting the day with a crispy prata with curry and a tender tandoor for dinner, I agree with the sentiment that wine does not go with spicy Indian food. Well at least not in the classical food-wine pairing sense. A cold beer or riesling will wash the spice down better, but the food does not bring out any new flavors. And sipping a tannic shiraz after a spicy mutton curry only invites a fast and fiery death to the taste buds.

Having said that, there are plenty of non spicy Indian foods.. am thinking of a nice dhal or mutta paneer that may be excellent with a chilled chenin blanc or riesling. Gerwutz is way too flowery and overwhelming.. my choice will be lime juice or plain lassi.

I love Indian food and I love wine, sometimes a tough marriage but I think it can work. Personally, I cannot drink red wine (which is my preference over whites) with Indian food, both end up tasting strange in my opinion. I like a nice Sauvignon Blanc from NZ, a sweeter reisling, vouvray, and yes moscato d'asti (which went very well).

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

For Indian food I would pick a wine with as low alcohol content as possible.

Since alcohol tends to bring out the flavor in food, it will maginfy the typically already dominant spices and sauces.

Try these:

Fruit wines 8.5%-9.5% alcohol.and would prefer them dry. Kiwi, Pears. apples, strawberries [ Fragolino] etc.

I might add the Portuguese Vinho Verde to the white wines already recommended [ up to 10% alcohol and the Santo Adriaho could be a good example, even though medium dry, it has enough acidity to cover its sweetness].

Reds:

An Italian lambrusco [ I would go for dry rather than amabile ], Australian sparkling Shiraz etc. Aged Portuguese red wine with up to 11.5% alcohol can also be an option.

A dry Rose' like the Lebanese Bkea style would also run along quite pleasantly.

This is a generalization to a broad aray of flavors - to be taken into consideration.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.