• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

La Isla

thereuare

After hearing many good things about this place, and even recommending it to others, i finally tried it myself!

La Isla's location used to be an old-style lunchonette, and although they've cleaned the place up a bit, the floor layout remains the same... it's a VERY narrow restaurant with counter service (~15 stools?) on the left and about 6 tables for 4 against the wall on the right (i don't know how they would be able to seat a table of 5 or more together).

We started off with an appetizer who's name i forget.  It appeared to be a "pastry puff" filled with chicken.  However, the outside is more doughy than i imagined (this is a good thing) and the inside contained fresh pieces of minced chicken.  These are premade throughout the day and sit under a heat lamp so it was served right away.  I would certainly have these again, and would even pick one up as a quick snack if i was walking by.

For entrees we each had a sirlion steak, pounded thin, covered with carmelized onions, and served with rice and beans.  The steak was very good, but the onions made this dish EXCELLENT!  Given that the place "doesn't look like much," I was very surprised (although i had heard) of the quality of food that comes out of this kitchen.  I normally wouldn't order steak at a place like this, but they (i believe) are owned by the same owners of the Brass Rail (a higher end restaurant across the street) so i figured that they are probably using the same supplier for both restaurants and therefore getting a decent cut of meat.  

My only complaint would be that the bowl of black beans didn't have enough beans, it was mostly that black "soup" that the beans sit in (i'm sure this is a hit or miss thing, depending upon how deep the ladel goes into the serving container, along with how much is left in the serving container itself).  My fiance REALLY liked the rice, too.

I'm certain we will be back again (soon!!).  I would HIGHLY recommend this restaurant for anyone that enjoys great food, but doesn't care too much about atmosphere.  As i said in the title, it's BYOB, and there is a liquor store about 1/2 block north of the restaurant (which happens to be owned by the same family as the restaurant).  Reasonable prices too, our steaks were $11, but i did see some entrees as high as $18.

There are very few restaurants that I'll make the journey from jersey city to hoboken for -- partly because of the parking, and mostly because there aren't that many worth making the trip for -- but La Isla is one of those worth the hassle of Hoboken.  I remember the "dive" luncheonette that preceded them -- it was actually fantastic, all home cooked Cuban at incredible prices.  Now the prices are about 8 times what they were.  But it's still worth it.  They also make one of the best cuban sandwiches around.

Another good place for good (and CHEAP) cuban, where parking is a little easier (and, once again, CHEAPER if you have to pay for it) is on Begenline Ave in Union City.  It's called Manolo y Linda "La Conchita" and is around 58th Street or so (it's across the street from a "shmata" store called "Amazing Rays").

Been to La isla several times and have enjoyed it.  While the decor and atmosphere stinks, overall, I love this place.  It's a great joint, with great food--not pretentious, not expensive and great apps.  Not sure of what I've had, but I remember a few things.  Their Cuban sandwich, grilled chicken w/ roasted garlic and deep fried mashed potato balls that are filled w/ some meat concoction are good.  Also, try their cuban coffee, if you like it strong.  This place is even better after a few beers at a local bar (hence, my vague memories of the food) ;)

Overall, a great place in a town that offers very few interesting culinary experiences.

Sadly, hoboken ain't what it should be, in terms of food.  While the area has been "revitalized" (or "yuppified" depending on how you look at it) it's food a bit behind the curve.  Sure, there's a King's, but if you've been there, it's not that impressive.  

Although I hate to generalize, I'm going to generalize--hoboken is a sea of bars and pubs that serve food by default--  However, there are a few notable exceptions:

Amanda's

Lady Jane's is ok

Frankie and Johnnies

Piccolo Romano

assorted deli's

Cajun popcorn at Oddfellow's after many beers

Besides that, It's burgers and mozzarella sticks in the mile square.

same here-- lived in 'boken for 5 years and had it w/ the never ending construction on 3 sides of my building.  I've had mixed dinners at La scala.  I feel that they are too inconsistent to merit any noteworthiness.  The few good meals I've had there were undercut by poor service.

yes, la scala can be spotty.  they really hit their stride, imho, about 5 yrs ago, with a consistent staff and food.  i think being relatively "regular" there helped most of my experiences.  i would say that for frankie and johnnies as well, from a service standpoint.

I've said it many times before, but i'll repeat myself....

In telling people i live in Hoboken their first reaction is, "Oh, you have a lot of great restaurants there."

To which i reply, "No, we simply have a lot of restaurants."

Our staples and things we think are good (we're not into "fine" dining, just enjoy good food, anything from pasta to steak to chicken):

La Isla (newcomer to the list)

Margheritas

Oddfellows (only thing consistent about the service is the inconsistency)

Baja (food inconsistent, but when it's good it's great... only order "The Special")

Augustino's (small "unknown" on Washington... reservations a MUST anyday of the week (9 tables?))

Really "slumming" it but good to eat:

Mission Burritos

Ali Baba

I know most people think Amanda's is one of the best in town, but whenever i'm there i have trouble finding anything to eat (as i said above, i'm not into pheasant, rabbit, fois gras, etc.)... maybe one of these days my pallet will grow up!

i wouldn't characterize ali baba as "slumming'!!  i totally forgot about that place.  i've been going there for probably 15 years (before my palete grew up) and always enjoy it.  they have been relatively consistent over that time.  it's one of the few restaurants left from the 80's.  the chicken kabob sandwich is still one of the tastiest and best deals in hoboken.  

i just remembered that back in the early 90's, when they had the other ali baba down on newark st, they threw a yearly party called Babapalooza in the empty lot next to the restaurant.  it was a day of great local bands, great food, and cool art.  now that store is dominos and that lot is 4 story condos.  *sigh*

This thread is making me so nostalgic for my time in Hoboken (6 very fun yrs) that I finally had to post. My first apartment was a few doors down from La Isla, then I lived 2 blocks away. I ate there maybe a hundred times, mainly in the luncheonette days. It was visited many a time before Fabian's or BooBoo's. I still haven't had a better Cuban sandwich.

I used to love Flamboyan and understand they've moved uptown. Any one been?

Blondie

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

El Flamboyan was a great and unfancy Ecuadorian (I think) place on First St. I'm told they're now at 10th and Willow. We used to go for the Pernil asado (roast pork) and rice with lentils. I'm hoping to try the new location next week.

Yeah, they don't make 'em like Fabian's anymore. Are there any good dive bars left in Hoboken?

Blondie

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

this is off topic, but I have a question for tommy.  

would you recommend a reservation for Little Saigon on a friday? Also, what't the attire like?  Is it relatively casual?

think i may be going...

blondie, that's right, i remember seeing it at 10th and willow, where Lisa's used to be (the restaurant, not the deli).

iano, make reservations on *any* night that you plan on going.  i wear shorts and a t-shirt if that's any indication of the type of place it is.

OK, so I find myself in Hoboken last night with 45 mins to eat as I was waiting for a train.  I’m hungry and don’t have time to wait somewhere, so I think of this thread and head to La Isla.  Place was packed, but there were 2 counter seats available for me and my better half.  Although seating was relatively tight and restaurant was hectic, we decided to forgo the wait for a table and sit at the counter.

We ordered some apps:

papa rellena--which is a ball of mashed potatoes with a seasoned meat filled center  breaded and deep fried;   this was good, very filling.  

coconut shrimp—4 large shrimp coconut w/ a citrus (I think mango) sauce on the side.  Shrimp were good, however, I wasn’t a huge fan of the dipping sauce.  Didn’t really matter as they provide a couple hot sauces, which I always reach for.

Main courses:

Cuban Sandwich—I don’t know if this is authentic, however it was delicious.  Ham, pork, some type of white cheese, garlic mojo and pickles on a flattish bread that is pressed on a grill.    I was dipping this in a green habanero sauce that was provided.

Cuban fried chicken chunks w/ white rice and beans—this was just ok.  Chicken was good and flavorful, but I’m not a big fan of white rice and beans.  

We also had a couple sodas.  Shockingly, the total bill came to $20 (I swear—I had them tally the bill again)  before tip.  Place is a BYO and if I had more time I would have brought some beer.  Keep in mind that  this is definitely a "joint"-- place looks like a luncheonette more than a restaurant.

Glad you remembered the thread and made it there while you waited for the train.

I think it's the norm here that the place is alway somewhat crowded and hectic, but counter seats are consistently available.

This is the type of place where you bring somebody and they walk out asking, "How'd you find THIS place?"

• 1 year later...
having lived in hoboken for many years, and loving the town, i can say that it is a culinary wasteland.

Hoboken's not entirely a culinary wasteland. There are a few good restaurants.

Here are some photos of recent meals at La Isla that alone should serve to dispel that idea.

Bear in mind that La Isla is actually 2 restaurants in one. Most of the food is the Cuban "joint" food that everybody's talking about here. But the Daily Specials are high gastronomy indeed.

Here are photos of 2 recent meals that included Seared Sea Scallops with Grilled Pineapple and Papaya; Spinach tossed with mango, avocodo, maytag blue cheese, red onion and mandrin orange in a champange viniagrette with toasted macadamia nuts served over roasted beets; Bacon-wrapped Corvina over sauteed pea-shoots and black-bean risotto cake with green-pea sauce; Pan-seared duck breast in a port wine guava sauce.

La Isla Dinner Photos

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

having lived in hoboken for many years, and loving the town, i can say that it is a culinary wasteland.

Hoboken's not entirely a culinary wasteland. There are a few good restaurants.

yes, there are a few notable exceptions. and in the 22 months since that post, a few might have sprung up.

Edited by tommy (log)

• 8 months later...

Sometimes a great lunch out really makes my weekend complete...and today was one of those days! Having spent the earlier part of the day in NYC, I suggested lunch in Hoboken on our way out of the city, and after confirming that The Jefferson isn't open for lunch on Sunday, we decided to go to La Isla. The place was packed when we arrived around 2:30, but then began to empty out. As it turns out, they close at 3pm for a few hours and then reopen for dinner. Three of us had far too much to eat for $34. :biggrin:

Three large, unbelieveably strong and delicious cafe con leches. Shared a chicken empanada; terrific pastry packed with wonderfully flavorful chicken. For the table, an order of maduros (sweet plantains) that were cooked to perfection with a beautiful carmel glaze. One large salad with mango, roasted beets and macadamia nuts for the vegetarian, a frittata with chorizo, manchego and onions, and a slight disappointment that turned in to the perfect lunch for me. I glanced at the menu and then closed it almost immediately upon seeing ropa vieja--except that when I ordered it, the waitress shook her head and said she didn't think they had any more--but she went to the kitchen to confirm that. She came back and said there was only "a little" left but that if I really wanted it, she would give it to me for no charge and just charge me for the rice and (black) beans. Perfect! Well if this was their "only a little left," I can't imagine what a regular portion must look like. It was plenty, and except for giving up a bite to one of my friends, I managed to plod through and finish it, thankyouverymuch! :laugh: SO tender, so flavorful. This is food that I just can't (ok, don't) make at home, and I'm quite happy to let them do the cooking for me. I can honestly say that my only slight disappointment was with the black beans, which surprised me--they needed some salt!

Great spot; it had been far too long since my last visit, but I was happy to return.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 9 months later...

Thank you guys for directing me here.. What a great place..

gallery_15057_1393_675111.jpg

Mamey Shake and Coconut Soda

gallery_15057_1393_477332.jpg

Papa Relleno.. Filled with ground meat of stewed goodness...

gallery_15057_1393_780674.jpg

Roasted red peppers stuffed with octopus salad.. It was all resting on a fresh avocado puree.. This dish was really refreshing.. Had great textures.. Awesome peppers.

gallery_15057_1393_294181.jpg

Suckling Pig with some buttery fluffy white rice.. The meat was a little dry, the rice was just amazing.. That black beans are some of the best I have had.. Garlicky, more soupy then thick and chowderish..

gallery_15057_1393_862984.jpg

Side of boiled yucca.. Was not stringy at all, was perfect texture, perfect amount of garlic.. Really nice...

gallery_15057_1393_256073.jpg

Cafe con leche with rice pudding.. Some thick rice pudding..

gallery_15057_1393_765551.jpg

This place is a really cool spot.. I will come back here.. Thursdays are oxtail soup day, is one of the many reasons on the list..

Edited by Daniel (log)