• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

El Dorado

fresco

Ontario's liquor board is bringing this in as a special release next month and touting it fairly highly. Opinions?

912402 'EL DORADO RUM' $ 35.95

12 Year Old 750 mL

Superior Demerara Rum, with Gift Box

(Demerara Distillers Ltd.)

Tasting note: Copper. Lush tropical fruit and spice nose. Round, mellow, full-bodied palate with powerful fruit, tobacco, orange peel, leather, and toasty oak flavors. Hedonistic and well balanced. Exceptional. Score - 95. (www.tastings.com, July 2, 2001)

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Hi fresco,

It´s good stuff but the price seems to bee a bit high. Usually you get already the 15 yo for that price and this one is far better than the 12 yo.

Here in Germany you get the 12 yo in nearly every liquor store for 20-25 EUR.

95 out of 100??? And what about the 15 yo, 21 yo or even the 25 yo?

If this one gets 95, the 15 yo should get at least 110

As you can see there are some older rums in the El Dorado range.

It´s a good rum but not worth a big hype.

Markus

Hi fresco,

It´s good stuff but the price seems to bee a bit high. Usually you get already the 15 yo for that price and this one is far better than the 12 yo.

Here in Germany you get the 12 yo in nearly every liquor store for 20-25 EUR.

95 out of 100??? And what about the 15 yo, 21 yo or even the 25 yo?

If this one gets 95, the 15 yo should get at least 110

As you can see there are some older rums in the El Dorado range.

It´s a good rum but not worth a big hype.

Markus

Markus,

Thanks. The price is in Canadian $, so puts it very close to what you pay in Germany. Sounds like it is worth a try.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

If you are looking for a cheaper version of the 15 yo, called Reserve Special by the distiller, you'll be disappointed.

The 12 yo, lacks the heavy, dry smoky flavors of the 15 yo, but I like it and I drink it.

Lighter in color, body and flavor, the 12 yo is good rum.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Fresco.... I will be in line when the Vintages Store on Queens Quay opens up the day of its release. This is a rum I have been waiting for for quite a while. For thoes who are not aware this used to be named 'King of Diamonds' and for many years has been winning in its category at many Rum Festivals and Tastings. It had a name change and a graphic overhaul around five years ago.but I was told its the same rum.

As far as the 15 yr old is concerned, I looked up the LCBO lists only to find that its delisted. But then I was in The Summerhill Vintages Store a couple of days ago and I did see at least a dozen bottles of 15 yr old.. So Fresco get down to a Vintages Store or phone a Vintages Store, for stock location. (they can deliver to your local stoe for you)

Good luck, I like the El Dorado Demerara 15yr old and now look forward to the 12yr old

Yes Its more expensive in Ontario LCBO. It seems that Premium Rums get a premiun price.These rums in Nova Scotia are around $5.00 to $10.00 Canadian dollars less.

Keep Rumsearching......John

The 15 year old is a great rum and I hear the 25 year old is utterly spectacular.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I own and have tried the 12 yo, 15 yo, 21 yo and 25 yo :smile:

Personally, I like the 25 yo most. For me it's the best rum I've ever tried :wub: (by far better than the strange Pyrat Cask 23)!!! - and I tried more than 50 rums in my life! :rolleyes:

The 15 yo is already a really great rum, but in my opinion is has a present alcohol taste. The 25 yo is far smoother, more complex and intense and even slightly sweeter than the 15 yo. It's really what you would expect by aging the 15 yo for another 10 years.

The 21 yo is a bit different. It has also the typical Demerara taste from the 15 yo and it's nearly as smooth as the 25 yo but is has also a very present vanilla note. A bit like the 15 yo mixed with Matusalem Gran Reserva 15 yo (the one from Florida/DomRep and not the Cuban one, of course). I prefer the 15 yo, though.

Even though I had a special offer for the 21 yo (60 EUR) I went for two bottles of the 25 yo (180 EUR a bottle).

The problem is that the 25 yo becomes more and more rare. They only produced a limited quantity for the millennium and therefore it becomes more and more difficult to get.

I was lucky enough to get the last 2 bottles from my dealer. And this was -as far as I know- one of the last two dealers in Germany who still had some in stock.

If you are lucky enough to get some, do everything you can to get it. It is worth it and the chance will be over soon!!!

Greetings from Luxembourg

Markus

Fresco..... We can all make mistakes ....mine was that the LCBO had delisted the

' El Dorado 15 YR OLD '. Well it is not delisted at all.... Its just that I was looking in the wrong place in the computer file. Unlike the other El Dorado Rums, that go by age in the listings this one goes by name as follows..........

'EL DORADO' SPECIAL RESERVE , Demerara Distillery Co....#705418... $59.60 Can.

Available at Vintages and various other stores....I counted aprox 73 bottles in central Toronto. .

(29 at Summerhill). With the Christmas season coming up there could be running low by late November .

Fresco...To check the LCBO website, for availability go to. www.vintages.com and enter #705418 in search box. And Rum for general searching.

Sorry for my missinformation...... Will keep rumsearching.........John

• 2 weeks later...