• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Needham/Dedham/Newton

alacarte

Probably, yea... I understand that it's a lot better than it was when I grew up in Newton, but still probably not great.

I would give you some recommendations, but since I haven't been back there in almost 20 years, I doubt they'd be of any relevance. The one place I understand is still around and still high quality is Rosenfeld's bagels in Newton Center.

The other thing to consider... depending what part of Newton you're going to be in (it's huge, as you probably know) you're practically in Boston anyway. From, say, Newton Corner you're no more than 30 - 40 minutes away from plenty of good places to eat.

--

dunno why you haven't gotten replies. there's actually several decent places to eat there. maybe you could tell us what you're looking for -- upscale, cheap but good, etc. if you're looking for upscale, there's capital grill on rte 9 near the atrium mall, there's a cheesecake factory (but i'm not a fan...) there's a pho pasture that took over jae's space in the atrium mall -- weird atmosphere, but excellent and cheap noodle soup.

in dedham, there's isabella's for a more upscale dinner; there's the halfway cafe if you're wanting to watch football and have large quantities of pretty decent food. in needham there's skipjacks for fish, although, i wasn't all that impressed. across the street from there is a greek place (i forget the name) but it was really quite good and cheap -- best bet for lunch.

also, try chowhounds for boston area, there's lots of recommendations for the cities you're interested in.

Edited by newsbabe (log)

Thanks!

We're staying in Needham -- won't be getting into Boston this time, alas. I agree there are many wonderful restaurants in Boston, which I think is vastly underrated as a food town.

Ideally, I'd love to find a really good brunch spot, and maybe an upscale restaurant for dinner. Someplace with great fish would be ideal. Last time we were in town we tried a restaurant called Fava, which I liked very much.

Just a thought, but perhaps you may want to head a little north to Wellesley and give Ming Tsai's Blue Ginger a try.

"Democracy is that system of government under which the people…pick out a Coolidge to be head of the State. It is as if a hungry man, set before a banquet prepared by master cooks and covering a table an acre in area, should turn his back upon the feast and stay his stomach by catching and eating flies." H. L. Mencken