• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kimchee shelf life

I've had half a 32oz jar of cabbage kimchee sitting in the back of my fridge for about two months now. How long does this stuff last before it's time to get a new jar? On a similar note - does it even really need to go in the fridge at all? The jar says it does, but are they just playing it safe?

edited fer grammar

Edited by iain (log)

I would say that it depends on the type of kimchee and its age when bought, the best way is to taste it and find out. When kimchee is past its prime for eating straight use it in cooked dishes, soups, fried rice, stirfries, etc.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Yes, with Torkaris- kimchee is preserved cabbage. As long as you have not stuck your fingers (or anything unclean in it). It is a pickle. My downstairs neighbors where I used to live made it evey year, out side on the walkway in a large crock covered and wrapped in cheesecloth. I love kimchee (my favorite is daikon).

As a pickled/preserved vegetable, Kimchee should keep for a long time when it's refrigerated, which is how our local Korean markets store it.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Assuming I have stuck my fingers in the jar...then what? I used about half the jar about two months ago. I should mention that I'm not really all that concerned about all this; I'll eat some and see how it tastes. I'm just curious about the preservative nature of the kimchee-ing process.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Since I discovered the joy of making Kimchee it doesn't last more than a couple days in my fridge,however,once opened I wouldn't keep it much more than a week.

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.

Safety issues aside, I find that kimchi begins to taste off after a week or so. Kind of a sour, unpleasantly bubbly feeling to it - I don't know how to explain it in English, but in Japanese it's a "piri-piri" feeling on the tongue.

Usually when I feel this coming on, I use it in a cooked dish. Heating seems to calm it a bit.

Most of the kimchi I buy in Japan has an expiration date of about 1 to 2 weeks and once opened I try to use it with in the week, but I can see it starts to sour and get "bubbly" after a couple of days.

The stuff I used to buy in the monster jars in the US seemed to last forever, of course they were "bubbly" from the start.

Different preservatives?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Your 2 month old kimchee is probably ok to eat but the flavors will be off & sour. I would give it a couple of weeks & then use it for cooked dishes (i.e. kimchee chigae). I can never get through a large jar before it goes 'bad' so I buy the small jars. I like the daikon as well as the chive kimchee.

I am able to keep a large range of varities of kimchi because we go through it so fast.

I think the key to preservation is to just buy what you will use and to eat kimchi every day.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I think the key to preservation is to just buy what you will use and to eat kimchi every day.

I agree...that is key. Had I not forgotten that the jar was back there, I most certainly would have been eating it much more regularly. I used it originally for mamster's kimchi & pork soup recipe which, if you haven't already tried it, is absolutely delicious.

edited to add link to kimchi chigae recipe

Edited by iain (log)

Jimmyo:

Left unrefrigerated, kimchi spoils in three to four days. Even in refrigerated conditions, the shelf life of kimchi is at most 15 days.

--------------------

That just can't be right. They make the stuff buried in the ground to ferment. How bad can "bad" be? I keep it in the refrigerator, but I've never had any go bad, but then again, how would one know? :rolleyes: