• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Logan Tavern

JennyUptown

Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm curious to know if anyone has been to Logan Tavern yet. It's pretty new so I haven't seen any "official" reviews. My dinner club (there will be 8-10 of us) is thinking of checking it out next week. I've heard that they don't take reservations - can anyone confirm/deny? Menu suggestions?

Thanks,

Jen

Went for lunch yesterday. Same menu all day, some interesting comfort food choices, ie fried chicken with onion gravy and mashed potatoes, lots of sandwiches. I had a bowl of super-rustic textured tomato soup with shrimp, and a grilled bacon, tomato and cheese sandwich. Hit the spot in the rain yesterday. My lunch with a Speckled Red Hen beer was $20. Everything was good, but across the board could have used more seasoning.

Prices are pretty reasonable, wine list (for what it is) is pretty well selected, with nothing over $37. Service was friendly but still a little new. I'll go back, especially as the weather gets colder and the need for grilled cheese sandwiches increase. As for your dinner club, it seems like it would be a fun choice.

Cannot confirm/deny reservation policy.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

I've been there a few times now and have been pretty pleased. It's the overall package; a combo of the lively atmosphere, a pretty predictable, but nonetheless tasty menu...and the friendly people who work there.

I might compare the place to Cafe Deluxe.

I can't describe the food with much passion or detail, but I've tried several of the apps at this point (asian wings are really good; an ahi tuna app was what I hoped), had a couple of the salads (arugla, prosciutto and peaches was nice) ...and tasted NY strip and bistro fries off of someone else's plate. It's really reasonably priced and the portions are pretty generous.

...and as for rezis, I know they have a book, but it's really a waiting list. I called one Thursday night when they first opened, and they told me they don't take rezis at prime time. The place gets packed.

It's fun, the gay guys who go there are fun...and Victor (at bar) who used to work at Rupert's is quality.

My gang is heading to Logan Tavern tonight. I'm excited, but man...their reservation policy is a pain.

* No reservations after 7 pm

* They only accept reservations for parties of six or more (mine is 10 people so we're in luck)

* The reservation will only be held for fifteen minutes (reasonable)

* They won't seat you until your entire party is present (this drives me crazy)

you can always dine at Starbucks...it's two doors down to the right...it's sad that there aren't many options for good food around logan circle...somebody (with a lotta loot ) needs to open an independent restaurant near there... sooner or later..if they can pay the rent!

Edited by danzig (log)

listen to Black Sabbath..often

I tried to go to lunch there on Monday, they are now shut from Monday through Thursday for lunch. I was pissed!!! Now I have to trudge all the way to Bistrot du Coin. :angry:

Edited by John W. (log)

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

I tried to go to lunch there on Monday, they are now shut from Monday through Thursday for lunch. I was pissed!!! Now I have to trudge all the way to Bistrot du Coin. :angry:

You go to BdC entirely too much, young man. I am fascinated by the Polo Club next door, though. Let's check it out.

Mark

To Trudge or not to trudge. :blink:

It's worth the trudge if:

a. You are Mark S. or John W.

b. You're in the service industry and go there enough to make friends with Mark S. and John W.

(then du Coin likes you by default)

c. If you are a Washington correspondent for Agence France Press

d. If you like yellow walls and bright light at 1:45 a.m.

e. If you enjoy watching chefs fall backwards out of chairs (my fave)

Edited by meaghanfitzgerald (log)

I went to Logan Tavern on Halloween. The food was affordable, and good. My entree was just okay (pasta with scallops) but we all shared the ginger calamari appetizer which I thought was really good. Garlicky, sweet and crispy.

Welcome smayman.

The food was good enough two weeks ago at lunch for me to go back, but being closed for lunch after a month or so of opening is troubling. It takes a while to grow business, especially at lunch, and I think a decent business could come of it. I'd like to know how they do at night.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

you can always dine at Starbucks...it's two doors down to the right...it's sad that there aren't many options for good food around logan circle...somebody (with a lotta loot ) needs to open an independent restaurant near there... sooner or later..if they can pay the rent!

On that note...

It's not really in Logan, but does anyone know anything about JOJO's Restaurant & Bar on U Street, between 15th and 16th Streets? It's in one of those town houses next to MEEPS...and they just painted the place creamy cilantro green.

What excites me is the name, though, the key words being "& Bar".

When a place is that close to the homestead, there really needs to be a bar.

Also, Rice is supposed to be open now on 14th Street. It think it 14th and Q.

The honchos 'with a lotta loot' are building condos that I can't afford... :angry:

It was packed last night and the food was pretty good. Definitely a great value.

After the whole reservation stress, things worked out really well. They seated members of the party (8 of us because of the rain instead of 10) as they arrived. We took most of the communal table up front. It's a nice table, however for a group that knows each other and want to talk, it's not ideal for two reasons. First, it's wide across so you have to shout a little. Second, they have two rather large candleabra in the middle of the table making it difficult to see the person across from you.

Our service was friendly and competent. The food, great almost across the board. A few people started with the baked Manouri cheese and although the presentation was odd (in a foil wrapper - intended to look homemade, perhaps?), the flavor was delicious. Other highlights included the pork loin with Asian mustard and seared turkey steak. A friend had the scallops w/ angel hair and agreed that it was an odd dish. Not terrible, but kind of like they felt like they needed some pasta on the menu. The real klunker? The vegetable plate. I'm not a Big Food person and agree that portion sizes should be normalized, but this was ridiculous: two stalks of broccoli, two carrots, a few fried onions and a scoop of rice. Granted, it was one of the cheapest dishes at $12, but it looked truly meager. On the other hand, the wasabi meatloaf (yum) was HUGE.

For dessert I had the banana cream pie which I liked although it tasted very much like an icebox pie I could have made myself at home. Tasty, but nothing transcendant.

We drank a nice inexpensive Syrah and the group escaped without putting a dent in our wallets - $30 per person.

You go to BdC entirely too much, young man. I am fascinated by the Polo Club next door, though. Let's check it out.

Don't.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme