• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potatoes

Varmint

The oldest L'il Varmint is a potato freak. For his 9th birthday dinner, he requested -- and received -- an all potato feast. I'm now trying to figure out new ways to serve him potatoes and gradually introduce other elements into a mostly potato dish. Here's a mostly comprehensive list of what he's had:

Boiled potatoes

Mashed

Oven roasted

Hash browns

Home fries

Potatoes Anna (had those for first time on Saturday, and he was in heaven)

Croquettes

Potato Skins

French fries

Scalloped

Multiple gratins

Baked

Twice baked

Oven roasted with cabrales cheese (at Jaleo -- he's not ready for blue cheese!)

Creamed new potatoes with peas

I'm sure I left out some others. Any suggestions for new offerings?

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Stay tuned for Jackal10's Potato Primer coming via eGCI VERY soon!

Anna N

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

We are just finishing an eGCI unit on Spuds, with over 120 recipes and variations. Scheduled sometime in November.

I'm finding it particularly tough to do as I am trying to follow and Atkins diet, and so can't eat any..

Latkes?

Rosti?

Colcanon?

Bubble and Squeak?

Duchesse?

Pommes de Terre a la Roxelane (potato souffle in a baked potato shell)

i596.jpg

Coxina? It's a Brasilian snack which had seasoned chicken inside a potato croquette. You eat them with mustard and mayo. When they're right, they're fab. They're teardrop shaped.

And how bout those thin twice fried potatoes which puff up like balloons on the second fry?

Edited by elyse (log)

And how bout those thin twice fried potatoes which puff up like balloons on the second fry?

Pomme souffle?

Very fun. Very old school.

First fried in 300°F oil. After cooling, they're fried in 375°F oil and they inflate.

Those that don't puff can be set aside and eaten like crisps.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Also pomme noisette.

Noisette means "hazelnut": potatoes that have been cut into tiny, hazelnut-shape balls before being sauteed in butter until a deep brown with a nutty taste from the dark butter.

Pomme fondant.

Potatoes cut into tourne with the top hollowed out, cooked slowly in stock and butter, the top is then stuffed with duxelle or, as I did recently, lentils and lardons, or whatever.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Potato salads?

With curry seasonings, coriander, and grilled shrimp?

Potato Kugel -- let me know if I need to explain what it is.

And you can add other vegetables into the mixture.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I too, am a potato freak. For my birthday one year I got a membership to the potato of them month club.

What about steamed potatoes with a vineagrette? Or german potato salad? Or potato and leek soup? Or vicysoise? Or oven fried? Or a potato kanish?

Don't forget purple potatoes!

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe