• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potatoes

Varmint

Has no one suggested a humble potato knish??? Served with mustard any kid would love these.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Reminded, on account of planning to prepare them tonight, of Madeleine Kamman's rissole potatoes, from her Madeleine Cooks, to accompany steak and its little pan sauce, which is what they'll be accompanying at my house.

Cut in cubes, browned on all sides in oil, (I'll use grapeseed; sometimes it'd be Canola), turned turned turned until cooked through and crispy brown all over, removed, drained if necessary, copious s & p. She Madeleine says they can be finished in the oven, but I seem to always do them on the stovetop.

(Looking for an online source for this recipe, and failing, I did notice that the Amazon.com used booksellers have copies at criminally teensy prices, like $1. A great book, Madeleine Cooks.)

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

I'm another big potato fan, so I've found this thread great. But I'd like to suggest a different direction. You're talking about a feast for a nine year old, right? I say, concentrate on presentation more than new dishes (though a few new dishes would certainly perk things up), and make the presentation totally over the top. Knock his/her socks off with a crazy mashed potato and gravy volcano with a frites forest and houses made of stacks of thin potato slices with latke roofs, and baked potato cars and tater tots people and the water tower made of a huge stack of pringles.

"Tis no man. Tis a remorseless eating machine."

-Captain McAllister of The Frying Dutchmen, on Homer Simpson

I'm another big potato fan, so I've found this thread great. But I'd like to suggest a different direction. You're talking about a feast for a nine year old, right? I say, concentrate on presentation more than new dishes (though a few new dishes would certainly perk things up), and make the presentation totally over the top.  Knock his/her socks off with a crazy mashed potato and gravy volcano with a frites forest and houses made of stacks of thin potato slices with latke roofs, and baked potato cars and tater tots people and the water tower made of a huge stack of pringles.

Hey, formerly, can completely get into the craziness. Once made a tofu with ginger and scallion dish decorated with all the elements of the environment. It came to me in a dream. I had a cultivated garden- a tomato basket with herbs including purple basil; an asparagus woods with cucumber mountains and a little cucumber sampan with a scallion roof and two chickpea people on a sea of mashed chickpeas.

Yes, I am insane

maybe i was scrolling too fast, but i didn't see anything with sweet potatoes... i make mashed sweet and new potatoes with chevre. add some roasted garlic, salt, pepper, top with more cheese (gruyere, emmentaler, etc) bake until the top starts to brown a bit. i've even just done this with the sweet potatoes and added some chipotle chiles-sweet and smokey hot!

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"

Varmit - your l'il varmit has great taste - I too am a potato fan. :biggrin:

I posted my Horseradish Whipped Potatoes on the egullet recipe site. It is great - can be done a couple of days ahead of any big event and goes well with roast turkey, roast beef, roast pork, etc.

Life is short, eat dessert first

Salt Potatoes

woodburner

are you from upstate new york originally by any chance?

and what about warm german potato salad, with yummy bits of pork in it, among other things?

Still in NY, but that German Potato salad while sounding worthy, I have never tasted.

Anything with pork is good. :biggrin:

woodburner

hee hee - i had it once, whilst on my way to go skiiing. I wound up speeding on an icy country road, straight into a ditch in front of someone's house. they offered me some soda and this potato salad while i was waiting for the tow truck.

salt potatoes remind me of the NY State Fair.

here's a fair approximation of what i had that winter's day:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1843,144187...-244198,00.html

maybe i was scrolling too fast, but i didn't see anything with sweet potatoes... i make mashed sweet and new potatoes with chevre. add some roasted garlic, salt, pepper, top with more cheese (gruyere, emmentaler, etc) bake until the top starts to brown a bit. i've even just done this with the sweet potatoes and added some chipotle chiles-sweet and smokey hot!

Sweet potatoes are kind of a different animal to me. Sure they're potatoes, but they're not POTATOES.

Well, they're not potatoes at all. Different "family" entirely.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

• 1 year later...

Patatas Bravas -- here's a recipe for 8 servings:

1) Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.

2) Heat 4 tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan over high heat until smoking.

3) Add 8 large potatos, peeled and cut into 1.5 inch cubes. Brown thoroughly.

4) Transfer potatoes and oil to a baking dish and bake until potatoes are crisp, about 15 minutes.

5) Meanwhile, heat another 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat and saute for three minutes 1 large onion and 3 cloves of garlic, all finely chopped.

6) Add 2 tablespoons of finely chopped parsley, 3 fresh chili peppers, seeded and chopped, 2 cups of canned Roma tomatoes, pureed, 4 oz. of dry white wine.

7) Add to taste: salt and chorizo

8) Simmer this sauce for 10-12 minutes.

9) Drain potatoes and place in a serving bowl or individual dishes.

10) Pour sauce over potatoes and toss to coat.

11) Serve at once.

-James Kessler

Have you ever made Kugelis? My wife's family is Lithuanian and they make a potato and bacon pudding called Kugelis - my father-in-law made it in muffin tins. Individual servings with sour cream - fantastic!

Have you ever made Kugelis?  My wife's family is Lithuanian and they make a potato and bacon pudding called Kugelis - my father-in-law made it in muffin tins.  Individual servings with sour cream - fantastic!

Mmmmmmmmm this sounds wonderful. Do you have a recipe?

Have you ever made Kugelis?  My wife's family is Lithuanian and they make a potato and bacon pudding called Kugelis - my father-in-law made it in muffin tins.  Individual servings with sour cream - fantastic!

Like most of the Lithuanian recipes I've seen it starts with: fry bacon with onions and reserve the fat .... How could it turn out bad?!! I'll find it the recipe and post it.

Like most of the Lithuanian recipes I've seen it starts with: fry bacon with onions and reserve the fat .... How could it turn out bad?!! I'll find it the recipe and post it.

Kugelis - Lithuanian Grated Potato Pudding

5 lbs. potatoes, peeled and grated (or grind fine with food processor)

1 large onion, grated

1/2 lb. bacon

1/4 pound of butter, melted

6 eggs

1 lg. can evaporated milk

1 Tbs. salt

pepper to taste (about a tsp)

Peel and grate or grind (fine disc) potatoes and onions. Do not drain.

Fry and crumble bacon, add to potatoes and onions, along with drippings. Mix well.

Beat well 6 eggs, add evaporated milk, melted butter , salt and pepper, and mix well.

Add egg mixture to potato mixture, and mix together.

Pour into a well greased 9x13 cake pan

Bake at 350 degrees for 90 minutes.

Slice into squares, and top with sour cream (applesauce is also good)

Leftovers are best reheated sliced thin and sauteed in melted butter.

My father-in-law would sometimes cook it in muffin tins :biggrin: