• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potatoes

Varmint

Most of the above cooked in goose fat. Well maybe not most of the above, but certainly sauteed or roast potatoes in goose fat.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Marcella Hazan's Patate Maritate, potatoes married to mozzarella, (with some parsley, a little garlic & Parmigiano in there) from Marcella's Italian Kitchen, I think. SO good.

(Dithering over that s.)

Edited by Priscilla (log)

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Marcella Hazan's Patate Maritate, potatoes married to mozzarella, (with some parsley, a little garlic & Parmigiano in there) from Marcella's Italian Kitchen, I think.  SO good.

(Dithering over that s.)

Those are fantastic.

If the kids like fish, how about twice baked potatoes stuffed with dill, flaked salmon, and a little sour cream?

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

loving the idea of an all-potato based meal!

this might be a little advanced but if you're trying to get him into new flavours, try cubes of waxy potatoes tossed with coarsely chopped fennel, some crushed fennel seeds, some crushed garlic, a bit of saffron, about half a pint of stock, a couple of tbsps evoo and a little bit of red wine vinegar. Bake in a shallow dish for about 40 minutes (depending on temperature, etc), turn the potatoes over regularly, they go crispy and squashy at the same time.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

Hasselback.

And my favorite from when I was a kid: thinly sliced, concentric circles on a pizza pan, sprinkled with oregano, S&P, a STICK of butter, 1/4" water. Bake until crispy. Mmmm.

Edited by Basilgirl (log)

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

A potato galette. (I'm surprised no one's suggested it yet.)

Or do the Joel Robuchon thing. (maybe not. heheh. your Varmint might develop a truffle fetish.) You know, the salad of thinly sliced blanched potatoes with thinly sliced black truffles overlaid on top of each other and topped with a viniagrette sprinkled with bits of minced black truffle and chives. :shock:

General Tso's potatoes?

Soba

Marcella Hazan's Patate Maritate, potatoes married to mozzarella, (with some parsley, a little garlic & Parmigiano in there) from Marcella's Italian Kitchen, I think.  SO good.

Priscilla: Elaborate, please

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Whatv about potato desserts.? My family makes a carrot/ potato pudding for Christmas - a Scottish thing most likely. Spicy and steamed - you know the Scots too poor, too frugal to do plum pudding.

.... my secular latkes, especially the TexMex version, are popular with our boys.

Jim, those sound fabulous. I'll have to remember them when Chanuka arrives.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

We are just finishing an eGCI unit on Spuds, with over 120 recipes and variations. Scheduled sometime in November.

I'm finding it particularly tough to do as I am trying to follow and Atkins diet, and so can't eat any..

Latkes?

Rosti?

Colcanon?

Bubble and Squeak?

Duchesse?

Pommes de Terre a la Roxelane (potato souffle in a baked potato shell)

i596.jpg

Um jackal? If you've got 120 recipes, can you start sending them to me to enter into the archive? Otherwise, I'll be here till Christmas entering them, once the course comes out :wacko:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I cursorily searched for an online source of this recipe so as to provide a link to no avail. It is indeed from Marcella's Italian Kitchen, however, and is prefaced by a typically charming story of how she Marcella came by the recipe.

Patate Maritate is a gratin of thinly-sliced potatoes layered with grated whole-milk mozzarella, and a mixture of grated Parmigiano, minced parsley and garlic. S & p, of course ... drizzled with olive oil overall ... the dish olive-oiled and sprinkled with toasted fine breadcrumbs before building the layers ... I could be forgetting something.

People'll pretty much faint right at the table. Became an instant staple upon first preparation, whenever that was, like 15 years ago. Also a beautiful main dish for serving to pesky vegetarians, a dish one can serve to vegetarians and maintain one's self-respect.

(I firmly believe that for vegetable cookery, which can incidentally sometimes be vegetarian cookery, one could hardly do better than study the Italians, Marcella in particular ... it's all there, everything one needs for perfection in vegetable cookery. Plus a lot a lot a lot of other incredibly wonderful important stuff, too, of course. Some might offer, in trying to save a mixed marriage, the first Moosewood and Enchanted Broccoli Forest, and they probably have done some good in this regard, but they ain't a patch on Marcella.)

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Salt Potatoes

woodburner

are you from upstate new york originally by any chance?

and what about warm german potato salad, with yummy bits of pork in it, among other things?

Still in NY, but that German Potato salad while sounding worthy, I have never tasted.

Anything with pork is good. :biggrin:

woodburner

Boxty

Massaman Curry

A meal isn't a feast unless it has at least three types of potato dish. A good resource for potato recipes is:

http://www.bigspud.com/

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa

I cursorily searched for an online source of this recipe so as to provide a link to no avail. It is indeed from Marcella's Italian Kitchen, however, and is prefaced by a typically charming story of how she Marcella came by the recipe.

Patate Maritate is a gratin of thinly-sliced potatoes layered with grated whole-milk mozzarella, and a mixture of grated Parmigiano, minced parsley and garlic. S & p, of course ... drizzled with olive oil overall ... the dish olive-oiled and sprinkled with toasted fine breadcrumbs before building the layers ... I could be forgetting something.

People'll pretty much faint right at the table. Became an instant staple upon first preparation, whenever that was, like 15 years ago. Also a beautiful main dish for serving to pesky vegetarians, a dish one can serve to vegetarians and maintain one's self-respect.

(I firmly believe that for vegetable cookery, which can incidentally sometimes be vegetarian cookery, one could hardly do better than study the Italians, Marcella in particular ... it's all there, everything one needs for perfection in vegetable cookery. Plus a lot a lot a lot of other incredibly wonderful important stuff, too, of course. Some might offer, in trying to save a mixed marriage, the first Moosewood and Enchanted Broccoli Forest, and they probably have done some good in this regard, but they ain't a patch on Marcella.)

Do you bake it or are the potatoes already cooked (steamed or boiled)?

Does the olive oil come before or after baking or both?

This sounds amazing.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I have a 15 year old photocopy from a friend, with "My favorite potatoes!" written on it. :smile:

The potatoes are not precooked, just thinly sliced and tossed with EVOO before layering with the parsley, garlic and whole milk mozzerella. Topped with breadcrumbs and a drizzle of more olive oil, then baked.

People'll pretty much faint right at the table.

This has been my experience too.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I need that potato souffle recipe. It looks incredible.

Do you mean pomme souffle?

Really easy. Do the potatoes on a mandoline, very thin.

Fry at 300 F. Separate them, let cool.

Fry at 375 F.

Much fleur de sel or other crunchy salt.

/genuflects to St. Jacques de Pepin.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM