• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Back from P.R. and Saint Croix

Garcia21

I just returned from a week in P.R. and another week in St. Croix

I found and purchased these rums:

P.R. AIRPORT

Ron Del Barrilito 3 star $13 (Tried)

Don Q Grand Anejo $36

Don Q Limon $10 (Tried)

ST. CROIX

Don Q Grand Anejo $32.99

Barcelo Anejo $5.79

Cockspur V.S.O.R. 1 Liter $23.59

Angostura 1824 $50

Angostura Royal Oak $9.99

Rhum Clement Vieux $20

Rhum Clement Tres Vieux $40

Ron Macorix Anejo Superior $6.50

Brugal Extra Viejo 1 Liter $8.99 (Tried)

Cruzan Estate Diamond $10 (Tried)

Thank you all who provided info to help me search. Can anyone tell me anything about the rums above that I have not tried? I think the prices were pretty darn good.

Patrick

Nice list of rums.

Don Q Grand Anejo $36

Light bodied rum, I prefer heavier rums but like most other PR rums, Don Q are light, the exception being the Barrilito rums.

Barcelo Anejo $5.79

By getting this one in the islands it is a little better than what you'll find on the mainland, good value.

Cockspur V.S.O.R. 1 Liter $23.59

One of my favorites, haven't seen it in a liter before. This one is also possibly different from the blend sold in the states.

Angostura 1824 $50

This one is a little sweet for my taste but worth having around for comparison to other premium rums, they've dropped their price some but to me it is still too much to pay, but I admit I'm spoiled.

Angostura Royal Oak $9.99

Nice premium rum from Angostura, light bodied, mixes nicely with coconut water. Note similarity to Don Q Anejo.

Rhum Clement Vieux $20

Now there is a real value on a rum that you won't find in the states yet.

Rhum Clement Tres Vieux $40

Another great value, and you can't buy it many places.

Ron Macorix Anejo Superior $6.50

Decent rum but a little disappointing compared to the Brugal which is made by the same people.

Brugal Extra Viejo 1 Liter $8.99 (Tried)

One liter of the best value you'll find. Really nice rum that will stand up to a lot of rums costing twice as much.

Cruzan Estate Diamond $10 (Tried)

Another of my favorites. I prefer this to the single barrel which is drier than the Estate Diamond, great rum.

Glad to see you brought back all you could carry. Too many people don't bring much then run out, before they know it.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Thanks Ed. I know the 1824 was a bit pricey but it would have cost more here in the states where I can find it. I was happliy surprised by the Brugal Extra Viejo. I bought a 375 ml bottle for $6, tried and loved it. The taste is similar to Brugal Anejo I've had here in the states but much more smooth. Then in another store I found the 1 Liter for $8.99 and was thrilled!

Kirk,

I researched before the trip and found that you are allowed 5 bottles of lliquor per person from the U.S. Virgin Islands and a 6th if it is made in the U.S. V.I. like Cruzan rum. My wife was with me so I had 6 and she had 5.

As far as the ones from the airport in P.R., we had already gone through security and customs so we bought a few more. I don't know if customs even checked how much liquor we had. It didn't seem like it.

Patrick

Hi Folks – so far as the limit on the bottles brought back from afar. US Customs doesn’t care how many you bring back from Puerto Rico. I was able to bring back 37 bottles that I packed @ my grandparents house that I carried & checked in. The only thing that you have to do in PR is that you have to put all your luggage through the Department of Agriculture inspection station to make sure that no critters are stowing away in your luggage.

Now from any other place again they do not care how much you bring back – so long as you pay Taxes on anything above and beyond the specified limit for the country. Example I used to live in Italy and any time I came to the U.S. I would bring back a couple of cases of wine that I knew that I would never find in the U.S. It was a matter of building a sort of cache of wine for when I got back to the mainland. The limit from customs was 3 liters per person per trip. I had to pay Excise TAXES only one the remaining quantity of bottles of wine.

Carlos