• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch at Salumi

Remember, they are only open Tuesday through Friday. If I were you, I would call first, ask for Gina, and mention that you are training up from Oregon specifically for lunch at Salumi and see if she can set up a special lunch for you. It's really quite the experience. Get a large group together (I know where you can find interested people  :wink: ) and you can even reserve the back room!

I'll be in Seattle in September (traveling up from Amsterdam :laugh: ) and I would just love lunch at Salumi.

How long before the date do you think I should call? I already know the days we'll be in Seattle. But September is still such a long time away...

• 2 months later...

July 19. Sample plate.

gallery_36558_2964_95044.jpg

Look at how coarse the grind is and how loosely packed it is. It really falls apart which, although is inconvenient for eating directly, is perfect for a sandwich. The flavors were bold and unlike any commercial charcuterie I've ever had.

I sorely wish we had a charcuterier like Salumi in my city!

^The sliced meats do not usually fall apart--the batches that have been coming out in the last few weeks were not as good as usual because they were experimenting with a new method that didn't work out as planned. It still tastes OK but the appearance is kind of disappointing.

• 1 year later...

Thanks to Henry & Lorna, I was able to attend a back-room lunch at Salumi last Tuesday. Three hours (no parking ticket!), a regular + a magnum bottle of wine, 11 plates, good conversation, you can't ask for more. :raz:

Some of these pictures are not that great, but everybody was hungry and you can't keep people from digging in to pork products very long. :biggrin:

#1: Assorted Salumi meats

salumi-a.jpg

#2: Stuffed eggplant

salumi-b.jpg

#3: Sweet & sour cipollini onions ("The best onion preparation ever" I think Henry said)

salumi-c.jpg

#4: Gnocco fritto with culatello

salumi-d.jpg

#5: Crostini with chicken liver pate (It was not blurry in real life. :biggrin: )

salumi-e.jpg

#6: Beet salad

salumi-f.jpg

#7: Lardo wrapped shrimp :wub:

salumi-g.jpg

#8: Handmade gnocchi with lamb

salumi-h.jpg

#9: Milk-braised pork tenderloin with fried sage leaves

salumi-i.jpg

#10: Rapini with guanciale? I forget.

salumi-j.jpg

#11: Happy birthday Lorna! Chocolate cake made by Henry, with hazelnut frosting made by Lorna.

salumi-k.jpg

After lunch I came home and took a three hour nap, and there was no need for dinner later. :cool:

Thanks again everybody! I had a great time.

Mmmm excellent photos! My favourites at that particular lunch was the lardo-wrapped shrimp (last time we got lardo-wrapped grissini...ok, so basically anything with lardo I like :wub: ), the onions, and of course the chocolate cake.

BTW, you are very lucky you got to skip dinner that day. Our neighbours made us a 10 course dinner that same night and I thought my stomach was going to burst after all that food!