• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh Turkey

sara

Hi

Any suggestions on where to get a great fresh Thanksgiving turkey, somewhere other than Whole Foods?? I was thinking of Eastern Market--any favorite butchers there?

Thanks

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Some of the smaller, independent natural-foods stores sell special order free-range turkeys for Thanksgiving. Not sure if all of those available are fresh but it's worth calling around and asking. The Takoma Park Silver Spring Coop (stores in Takoma Park and Silver Spring, MD) has them this year. I'd bet Bethesda Co-Op, Glut, Arlington Co-Op and some of the others will be carrying them too.

Mel, the owner of Market Poultry (I think that is the stand's name) at the Eastern Market has the best fresh turkeys. His stand is the only one that just does poultry, right next to the flower stand, across from one of the meat stands. I am pretty sure you can pick them up as late as Wednesday evening.

There is something great about ordering your turkey from someone who remember your name every year.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Do you have a ph number for Market Poultry? I couldn't find one on the Eastern Market website. Thanks

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Do you have a ph number for Market Poultry? I couldn't find one on the Eastern Market website. Thanks

Nope, sorry. My family shops there weekly anyway so we just tell Mel the order. One year my mom forgot to order it and when she was doing her regular shopping right around this time he politely asked if we needed a bird this year. If he hadn't asked we wouldn't have had a turkey! I've never known the name really either because it was always just Mel's, or the chicken place.

Isn't the Sunday before Thanksgiving too early for a fresh bird? I was going to get my turkey at Sonny D'Angelos in Philly and drive to DC on Monday, but several friends expressed concern that it wouldn't stay fresh til cooked on Thursday. Any thoughts??

-- William Grimes

Isn't the Sunday before Thanksgiving too early for a fresh bird? I was going to get my turkey at Sonny D'Angelos in Philly and drive to DC on Monday, but several friends expressed concern that it wouldn't stay fresh til cooked on Thursday. Any thoughts??

If your friends live or work anywhere near the Hill then you should tell them to order it for you at Eastern Market.

Where are you staying?

I will either call or have my cousin place the order. I stay in Fairfax.

-- William Grimes

Here are the details for the place in Eastern Market:

Capitol Hill Poultry

202 544-4435

They are taking Thanksgiving orders now for fresh free-range turkeys. They are raised in Pennsylvania and priced at $1.39/lb. in all sizes.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Sunday or Monday is fine for a fresh bird, especially a large one, i.e 12+ lbs. What you will want to do is put your turkey in a brine (salt water more or less). I usually brine my turkey for three days and than one day out to dry out a bit. And I promise it is the juciest most flavorful turkey. If you are interested I can post a recipe for the brine.

Poste

Thanks for all of this info...Now I just have to debate Sonny D'Angelos vs. Eastern Market, since I was definitely planning to brine. This is the first year I'm in charge of the turkey for the family dinner (I held a coup and took over; my mother is known for her over-grilled dried out turkey!) So, any specific tips would be appreciated. Carman Luntzel gave me her 'secret' tip--mayo instead of butter! I tried it once and it worked out quite well.

-- William Grimes

Keep in mind that Eastern Market is closed on Monday when making your decision.