• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Cubano Sandwich

Jason Perlow

rocketman - thanks for the research!

I've noticed a number of "authentic Cuban" places offer Cubanos with chorizo on them, so while I'm not discounting a salami-fied version as a great sandiwch, I wouldn't consider it a Cubano in the pure sense. I'm not trying to be a purist or anything, as a good sandwich is a good sandwich is a good sandwich, but I'm just not willing to consider it a Cubano. (Likewise my local DR places, who don't even have pickles in the restaurant.) And I like mine with mustard, which is not entirely a traditional cubano topping. (Or even a dash of aioli if I'm fixing one up at home.)

Even worse, a lot of places where I've ordered a Cubano you get TURKEY instead of smoked pork. :blink: What am I, at Subway?

Mangia on Wall St. used to have a decent traditional Cubano but I haven't been in a while (and it was expensive).

Edited by mikeycook (log)

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

I get a cubano from Margon about once a week. It's great and only $4. The one at Chickenbone Cafe (which they call the BFC -- "Best Fuckin' Cubano") really is good too, but a bit fancy-pants and pricey ($13).

Greetings Bpearis, I'd be really be interested in knowing what is on and/or comes with a $13 cuban! Thanks. :biggrin:

The sandwich used Berkshire pork, proscuitto de parma, etc -- better quality ingredients. The Chickenbone Cafe no longer exists, sadly, but the BFC moved with chef Zak Pellacio to his new place, Five Ninth, in the Meatpacking District. It's on their late night and brunch menu.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

I get a cubano from Margon about once a week. It's great and only $4. The one at Chickenbone Cafe (which they call the BFC -- "Best Fuckin' Cubano") really is good too, but a bit fancy-pants and pricey ($13).

Greetings Bpearis, I'd be really be interested in knowing what is on and/or comes with a $13 cuban! Thanks. :biggrin:

The sandwich used Berkshire pork, proscuitto de parma, etc -- better quality ingredients. The Chickenbone Cafe no longer exists, sadly, but the BFC moved with chef Zak Pellacio to his new place, Five Ninth, in the Meatpacking District. It's on their late night and brunch menu.

I believe I have enough info to make this sandwich,but no one has mentioned what it's served with.Chips,potato salad,platanos?excuse my ignorance----