• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Cubano Sandwich

Jason Perlow

I haven't yet had the opportunity to try too many cuban sandwiches here in NYC (although I definitely some in the near future :cool: ), but FWIW, I had a bbq pulled pork cuban sandwich at Dinosaur BBQ last week that was quite tasty.

Also, a few months ago, tried the cubano at La Rosita on Broadway around 107th, that was pretty good, too.

I don't have much experience eating cubano sandwiches, but these are two places I would definitely order a cubano again.

I can't claim to have tried that many cubanos around town - but the best I've ever had was at Sophies dowtown - the one off Exchange Place. It was perfect and I've yet to taste one that compared to it. After reading this, I'll have to try harder! :biggrin:

~WBC

Best cubano I ever ate in NY was from Franklin Corner Store in Greenpoint, Brooklyn.

-MJR

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

• 2 weeks later...

Had another fine example - perhaps the best I've had from a "Latin" restaurant in the City. (And I have to say, my heart and expanding waistline dictate that this will be the last cubano I'll be having in a while.)

Anyways, I sampled a fine rendition at El Sitio, a Cuban restaurant in Woodside, Queens.

When I sat down I was presented three thinly pressed slices of garlic bread - if it wasn't made from real Cuban-style bread then it was a damn fine copy.

Anyways, I ordered the (off-menu) cubano ($4.5), hoping for the best given the chance of good bread, and I'm glad to say I wasn't disappointed. The bread was nearly spot on, crusty, buttered, pressed ultra-thin. The pork was deli-sliced, as was the ham, but both were warm and appropriate. Swiss cheese, pickles, and a nice, garlicky mayonnaise, with a touch of mustard.

Washed down with a Materva yerba mate soda ($1.25), this was quite a treat.

El Sitio

68-28 Roosevelt Ave. (Queens)

718-424-2369

• 4 weeks later...
I hit Havana Chelsea last night, and I have to admit that cubanos are pretty good. Not great, but definitely among the better in the city.

Of course, since there is no cuban bread in the city (that I know of), the bread was a bit off, but serviceable. The innards were wonderfully moist (but not too much so) shredded pork, ham, cheese, pickles, and mayo. A side of mojo that was served with the tostones was spread on top to give it some garlicky kick. (There was already a little garlic flavor in the pork.)

The regular costs $4, the large $5, and the special - with chorizo - costs $5.50.

In from Philly for a few days, I found this thread very helpful in satisfying my craving for a Cubano. HC ambience reminds me of the burrito joints in the Mission -- very down-to-earth. Not like the "hipper" place btwn 20 & 21 (though they serve liquor there).

1. Bread: Sure seemed like the real deal to me. Can anyone elaborate?

2. "Wonderfully moist": I found the roast pork to be dry and somewhat tough. Otherwise, the sandwich was superb.

3. "Garlicky": mosdef. Loved it.

4. Had the Galician style soup. Very rich broth, nicely spiced, highly recommended.

5. Had a can of the mate soda. Tasted like ginger. Can anyone clue me in to what mate is?

Thanks for the good info on this thread.

My favorite, and one I've had many many times is in the South Bronx on 3rd ave and 138th street at the Maybar Cafe. It's five dollars.

The pork is not sliced, it's chopped into pretty good sized pieces. The bread is lightly buttered, mayonnaise-free and you'd think things would get a bit dry but they always seem to leave in plenty of pork fat so that sandwich just slides right down . The absolute best thing about their cubano is that attached to the fat is lots of cracklin'. The second best thing is just how porky the pork is. Don't know why theirs is this way but their pork emanates an almost overwhelming swiney goodness.

There are days when this sandwich is sublime, when they've hit every note. Two days ago they forgot the garlic and pickles and the pork wasn't delicious at all. It was late in the day and they just weren't on their game. I think the sandwich is most likely to turn out great during the lunch rush when the roasted pork shoulders are coming out of the oven, the sandwich maker can pick and choose her pork and she is focused on the task at hand.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

• 2 months later...

Just had a Cubano at Sucelt Coffee Shop on 14th and 7th. MMMM! Officially the best I've had. The sandwich looks small but man was it filling. The roast pork was just perfect. There was even a nice piece of crackling in there that had a delicous, crunchy garlicky taste. That plus a water came to $4.75. My mouth is watering right now even though I'm stuffed. Partly from the sandwich - and partly from the donut I had afterwards from the Donut Pub across the street. :biggrin:

~WBC

• 3 months later...
Best cubano I ever ate in NY was from Franklin Corner Store in Greenpoint, Brooklyn.

-MJR

Coziest Cuban -    FRANKLIN CORNER STORE

My favorite Cuban sandwich issues from an obscure corner in Greenpoint. FRANKLIN CORNER STORE is a well-kept secret, specializing in sandwiches launched hot and gooey from the press. Their Cuban features layers of pickles, ham, pork roast, and—secret of its success—two types of white cheese.      -Robert Sietsema

Seitsema backs up my Cubano recommendation in Greenpoint in the Voice. Get em while they're hot!!!

MJR

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

[bpearis Oct 27 2003, 03:25 PM Post #3

I get a cubano from Margon about once a week. It's great and only $4. The one at Chickenbone Cafe (which they call the BFC -- "Best Fuckin' Cubano") really is good too, but a bit fancy-pants and pricey ($13).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Margon - This is the best Cubano in my opinion. Family owned and operated with the family taking turns pressing the small but cheap cubano.....nothing foo foo here. On 46 b/t 6 and bway. As real as it gets.....just beware of the lunch crowd....it gets pretty crazy over hear in midtown.

Nina Lalli of the Village Voice did a short article on the cubanos at Havana Chelsea, along with a brief history lesson.

This was my local last year. I had about 15 of these cubanos in 3 weeks. They were pretty good, but not the best I've had - just the most convenient. There used to be a tiny little coffee shop on 14th and 7th, used to pretty good sandwiches.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

MobyP - I think you're talking about Sucelt Coffee Shop on 14th - still there and still good.

Still have yet to find one that beats El Sitio in Woodside, Queens.

I tend to find Margon's DR food a much better option than their Cubano. (Though the salami is an interesting touch, I'd say that because of this addition, it's not a true Cuban sandwich.)

MobyP - I think you're talking about Sucelt Coffee Shop on 14th - still there and still good.

Still have yet to find one that beats El Sitio in Woodside, Queens.

I tend to find Margon's DR food a much better option than their Cubano. (Though the salami is an interesting touch, I'd say that because of this addition, it's not a true Cuban sandwich.)

agree on the salami i guess but its oh so good.....and since these folks are most certainly from a Cuban background, who is to say its not the real deal?

rocketman - I though Margon was a Dominican-run establishment? Most of the people I've seen working there have been Dominican, and the menu reads more towards the DR than Cuba.

Lambretta,

I guess we were both right in a way. I was over at Margon on Friday. I asked some questions. The new owners are in fact Dominican. The original owner, who is still generally around, is Cuban. Most of his cooks are still there continuing to make his food. The Cuban sandwich itself, which has Salami on it which and which one poster said is not traditional, is in fact the prior Cuban owners own origianal recipe. The woman I spoke with promised to ask him the orgin of the salami next time he was in. The have since, as you pointed out, put more Dominican food on the menu or tweaked some of the prior food to appeal to a more Dominican base.

Either way, i had a great lunch speaking to great people.

That all for now. More on the salami to come.

RM

rocketman - thanks for the research!

I've noticed a number of "authentic Cuban" places offer Cubanos with chorizo on them, so while I'm not discounting a salami-fied version as a great sandiwch, I wouldn't consider it a Cubano in the pure sense. I'm not trying to be a purist or anything, as a good sandwich is a good sandwich is a good sandwich, but I'm just not willing to consider it a Cubano. (Likewise my local DR places, who don't even have pickles in the restaurant.) And I like mine with mustard, which is not entirely a traditional cubano topping. (Or even a dash of aioli if I'm fixing one up at home.)

• 3 months later...

Il Floridita 177th and B'Way.

El Malecon 175th and B'way.

Floridita's tends to be more consistent, as Malecon is REALLY busy and sometimes forgets the pickles. No Mayo on either. Flordita also gives you an option to have house roasted pork.

Neither of them are particularly fancy, both are under $5 and worth the trip on the A to 175th.

In from Philly for a few days, I found this thread very helpful in satisfying my craving for a Cubano.  HC ambience reminds me of the burrito joints in the Mission -- very down-to-earth.  Not like the "hipper" place btwn 20 & 21 (though they serve liquor there).

. . . .

Haven't eaten there in a while, but I recall drinking beer with my meal. Odds are that they don't serve beer or liquor, but that you can bring in beer from a neighborhood deli.

We had interesting sandwiches cubanos in San Juan last week that were disappointing in an unusual way. They were overstuffed in a manner reminiscent of NY deli sandwiches a la Stage or Carnegie Deli. On the surface, they seemed like a great buy, but the balance was all off. (Panaderia Reposteria España--for those familiar with Isla Verde. This is a classic stand by old fashioned Spanish/Puerto Rican luncheonette and bakery and an old favorite for years. All things considered, it's been replaced for us by the newer and larger Kasalta in Ocean Park. Unfortunately, in spite of its size, it can be crowded at lunch and even breakfast.)

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

For what it's worth, I tend to favor Havana Chelsea's Cubano with chorizo over their traditional sandwich, but I don't think I'd like salami in a Cubano.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Il Floridita 177th and B'Way.

El Malecon 175th and B'way.

Floridita's tends to be more consistent, as Malecon is REALLY busy and sometimes forgets the pickles. No Mayo on either. Flordita also gives you an option to have house roasted pork.

Neither of them are particularly fancy, both are under $5 and worth the trip on the A to 175th.

forgetting the pickle is an unforgivable!!

If you are making the uptown trip for Malecon you have to get the chicken, best in NY.

-Mike & Andrea

I get a cubano from Margon about once a week. It's great and only $4. The one at Chickenbone Cafe (which they call the BFC -- "Best Fuckin' Cubano") really is good too, but a bit fancy-pants and pricey ($13).

Greetings Bpearis, I'd be really be interested in knowing what is on and/or comes with a $13 cuban! Thanks. :biggrin:

I like cubano's sans pickles (yes, call me weird!) is there any great cubano places in Rockland County??? (begging with eyes wide and puppyish!) THANKS! :cool:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.