• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mendocino Grille and Wine Bar

Rosie

Another wonderfully satisfying dinner at Mendocino. Take this from a genuine, formerly hamburger-hatin' Rude Euro - I say onto all of y'all red-blooded Americans that Mendocino's version with oregon truffles, smoked fontina (I think) and sweet pickled onions on toasted brioche can be legitimately branded a weapon of mass conversion for my kind. The way all the ingredients come together in your mouth in a juicy, satisfying, flavorful mass, is just a joy and delight. If anyone told me five years ago that I would willingly pay $22 for a burger, I would have called the cops...but not anymore.

Black bean and bacon soup did not disappoint, either. Finished up with the beatiful cranberry cobbler with cinnamon ice cream and went home very happy and tipsy - but forgot the important part about the half-price wine Sundays! We had a gorgeous Stuhlmuller Vineyards 2000 Cab sauvignon that was light, fragrant and incredibly tasty (what a childish way to describe wine, but "tasty" popped immediately in my mind when I took a swig, and I'm not holding it back.)

I can't wait to be back.

Edited by Nadya (log)

Resident Twizzlebum

Another wonderfully satisfying dinner at Mendocino.  Take this from a genuine, formerly hamburger-hatin' Rude Euro - I say onto all of y'all red-blooded Americans that Mendocino's version with oregon truffles, smoked fontina (I think) and sweet pickled onions on toasted brioche can be legitimately branded a weapon of mass conversion for my kind.  The way all the ingredients come together in your mouth in a juicy, satisfying, flavorful mass, is just a joy and delight. 

If anyone told me five years ago that I would willingly pay $22 for a burger, I would have called the cops...but not anymore.

I trust the meat in the burger was Wagyu (Kobe) beef. Did you avail yourself of a 1/2 priced bot of vino?

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Another wonderfully satisfying dinner at Mendocino.  Take this from a genuine, formerly hamburger-hatin' Rude Euro - I say onto all of y'all red-blooded Americans that Mendocino's version with oregon truffles, smoked fontina (I think) and sweet pickled onions on toasted brioche can be legitimately branded a weapon of mass conversion for my kind.  The way all the ingredients come together in your mouth in a juicy, satisfying, flavorful mass, is just a joy and delight. 

If anyone told me five years ago that I would willingly pay $22 for a burger, I would have called the cops...but not anymore.

I trust the meat in the burger was Wagyu (Kobe) beef. Did you avail yourself of a 1/2 priced bot of vino?

It was. I did. See edited post above..

Resident Twizzlebum

• 1 month later...

I second Nadya's thoughts. I had a thoroughly enjoyable meal recently. Very, very satisfying, very intelligently designed menu, very well executed. Thoughtful, intelligent, impressive wine list.

Big thanks to the gracious staff and I recommend a visit to all.

Had a post meal meal with Babka last night at Mendocino. After sampling the Lobster Burgers at Citronelle :rolleyes: -- chased down with several glasses of an awesome Pouillly Fuisse (shoulda just bought the bottle) -- we went across to Mendocino. The place was packed but after a while we snagged a couple of seats at the bar just intending to watch my wife who joined us there have her breast of duck. But Drew brought us out a plate of his new risotto topped with black truffles and a crab quiche (?) -- both were the bomb(s). They served as the dessert we might have otherwise ordered. Thanks Drew

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

But Drew brought us out a plate of his new risotto topped with black truffles and a crab quiche (?) -- both were the bomb(s).  They served as the dessert we might have otherwise ordered.  Thanks Drew

nuh-uh. the nibbly nutty cheese with sweet-salty crostini and a spoonful of honey--THAT was the dessert we might have otherwise ordered. the risotto & the quiche was just the second course. :wub:

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I celebrated our tenth anniversary last night with a low-key but high-style dinner at Mendocino's bar. Roasted lamb rack (a perfect medium rare), tasty Thai snapper, an asparagus tart and a couple of lovingly prepared salads. We boarded the sommelier's wine flight and enjoyed the ride. Our bartender/server was an attentive host who also made one of the best martinis I've had in Washington. Bravo! Were it not all the way across town for us Hillbillies, I would hang out at Mendocino too often for my own good. However, I heard from the able barkeep that Sonoma is scheduled to open in the old Radicchio on Penn in May. That's right: May!

Edited by banco (log)

Don’t you have a machine that puts food into the mouth and pushes it down?

--Nikita Khrushchev to Richard Nixon during the "Kitchen Debate" in Moscow, 1959

Bad day at work = Great meal at Mendocino.

I pulled a 2001 Siduri Pisoni Pinot Noirfrom the cellar, then my brother and I ventured down to Mendocino. In addition to the Siduri, and since it was such a bad day we ordered up a bottle of Sine Qua Non Whispering E which was absolutley fantastic. As we decanted the Siduri an appetizer of Wild Salmon Coubiac with black trumpet mushrooms arrived for myself. fantatically rich and perfectly cooked salmon, crispy philo dough and earthy trumpets. My brother had the house made wild boar sausage which he proclaimed stunning and quite large for an appetizer. With the large Udon type noodles if your looking to make a meal out of Apps I suggest this. We both had the rack of lamb with the celery root and parsip gratain and Fiddleheads. The lamb was perfectly cooked with big eye's and very well seasoned, just how I like my lamb. The gratain was awesome, good celery flavor but not overpowering, while the parsnip was just sweet enough. I finished with the Two Blues, one from VT and one from ??? can't remember but they were both delectable. Great meal.

• 1 year later...

Barry Koslow has taken the helm as chef de cuisine (Drew Trautmann is executive chef) and is doing some nice things.

Edited by banco (log)

Don’t you have a machine that puts food into the mouth and pushes it down?

--Nikita Khrushchev to Richard Nixon during the "Kitchen Debate" in Moscow, 1959