• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Matters of taste

Peter B Wolf

I guess I'm definitely in the minority since I am under 25 and very much into wine. I understand that the article is from the UK, but to draw parallels to North America, I think there are several reasons why wine is not always considered a preferred beverage for people in my age group.

First, there seems to be a social stigma towards alcohol consumption, especially at a younger age. Now, I don't think it's appropriate for teenagers to go out and get drunk, but I definitely don't see a problem with parents giving a teenager a half glass of wine with dinner, even if that means it's watered down with Sprite or Ginger Ale. I believe that if families have a more open view towards wine (or alcohol in general), kids will not see consumption as "rebellious," and are more likely to be responsible with it. Plus, if you grow up drinking wine, you're more likely to continue drinking it as you get older.

Second, it's not "cool" for a response to the question, "What are you drinking tonight?" to be "Oh, I'm having a '98 Elderton Barossa Shiraz" or "an '01 Fontodi Chianti Classico." For many kids the responses are often tequilla, Budweiser, or vodka.

Third, in this age group, wine-drinkers are often thought of as snobby, rich, or of an older generation (or any combination of the three). This is not necessarily true. Furthermore, I know several of my friends who have recently started to like wine (and have also recently moved up into the 25+ age category), a common comment is that they want to learn about wine, but don't want to feel stupid asking questions as some people have been quite condescending in the past.

I'm quite fortunate that I began drinking wine at a young age, and I grew to like it quite early in life. I started purchasing wines for mid- and long-term aging a few years ago, and as such, starting a few years from now I'll be drinking aged Barolo, Brunello, Amarone, Chateauneuf-du-Pape, Shiraz, etc. In the meantime, I have ready drinkers to tide me over. In the article, it mentioned correctly that many people don't acquire a palate for wine until later in life, and that's a shame. At 24, waiting 10, 15, 20+ years for a bottle to age gracefully isn't a big deal. At 35, 40, 45 years of age, it may be of concern to some people.

For the past year and a half I've hosted monthly tastings of 4-8 people, all under the age of 30. The purpose it to get people more familiar with wine and taste juice from a variety of producers, regions, etc. It's always informal and fun, with great conversation. Attendees are from a range of experience, going from beginners to those with more experienced palates. Everyone learns something, and people are encouraged to discuss what they taste, smell, etc, without threat of embarrassment. There is no wrong answer. This type of environment is conducive to removing preconceived notions of who a wine drinker is.

Knowledge is key, and the only way to expand it is to drink more. Most recently our tastings were focused on Chianti (five different wines) and Australian Shiraz (nine different wines). Themed tastings have been the most successful as the ability to distinguish the nuances between wines of different producers is much greater.

IMO, this is a very silly article.

I have watched the price of table wine go up incredibly in the last 10 years and as a member (just) for the 18-34 group I can tell everyone that my peer group is as into their cups as any other. The popularity wine related products (including this forum) is proved by their proliferation.

There MAY be some decline in the British industry, which may have more to do with healthier lifestyles than anything else. Young people may be less likely to go out for a four bottle lunch every other day.

Also, Fat Bastard is French "Shiraz", not Australian.

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com

IMO, this is a very silly article.

I have watched the price of table wine go up incredibly in the last 10 years and as a member (just) for the 18-34 group I can tell everyone that my peer group is as into their cups as any other. The popularity wine related products (including this forum) is proved by their proliferation.

There MAY be some decline in the British industry, which may have more to do with healthier lifestyles than anything else. Young people may be less likely to go out for a four bottle lunch every other day.

Also, Fat Bastard is French "Shiraz", not Australian.

"Fat Bastard" is French. "Old Bastard" is Australian.

Mark

I definitely don't see a problem with parents giving a teenager a half glass of wine with dinner, even if that means it's watered down with Sprite or Ginger Ale.

I agree with your point, but my hope is that parents use water to water down the wine. Adding Sprite to wine doesn't just water it down, but adulterates it beyond recognition. The idea is to teach young-uns respect for and appreciation of wine, not mask its flavor with sugary soft drinks. Now, burbon is a whole different story.

--

ID

--

coming from the UK, I really can't agree with this and wine consumption in the 18-24 category is very healthy. Sure not many people go to a pub and ask for a glass of wine but restaurants and home consumption is very healthy.

Working in the UK wine trade I can assure you that we are not in a quandry. I would admit that our customers are generally not in the 18-24 range but then our wines are a little high end for them. Perhaps the article when mentioning the wine trade is talking about the big players (Orlando, Penfolds, Gallo, etc etc) who try and target particular age groups and are not seeing sales as expected. Perhaps this could be down to the quality of their product!

have to agree with malcomjolley in saying that it is a silly article. whenever statistics are quoted in articles like this, I always wonder how they got them and personally think that they are a 100% complete waste of time. what do they do? Stand in a high street (I think that is a Mall in US speak) and stop people for a questionaire?

As to few people being born liking wine. That is true. However as far as I remember I was born not liking, beer, vodka, gin, alcopops, whisky etc etc.

PS Who is Kathleen Burk anyway?

I definitely don't see a problem with parents giving a teenager a half glass of wine with dinner, even if that means it's watered down with Sprite or Ginger Ale.  I believe that if families have a more open view towards wine (or alcohol in general), kids will not see consumption as "rebellious," and are more likely to be responsible with it.  Plus, if you grow up drinking wine, you're more likely to continue drinking it as you get older.

Totally agree and this is a very very common practice in France (even out in restaurants) where parents use water (instead of sprite/ginger ale)

As an aside, I very often put water in my wine. It was a habit I picked up when I worked in France. When you get your free pichet of wine with your 50 franc menu, it is sometimes so nasty that the only way that it becomes palatable is by adding water. If it was good enough for the locals it was good enough for me. Still do it (more subtley though) when I get served a filthy glass of wine!

Unless you are brought up wine it I think wine and food appreciation is often something that comes later in life. Sort of like learning to love Ornette Coleman; one day you just get it.

Appreciating art takes time, attention, education and unfortunately - a little money.

Adverising people have long said that they could sell refrigerators to Eskimo's and they can and have. Look at the level of advertising of the 'pop' alcoholic beverages and beer versas wine advertising. In our society to day, it's not what you like or makes you feel good, it's what you are told to like that makes you feel good. By purchasing an advertised product, individuals expect some of the advertisment mystique to rub off on them.

I also believe that price may have a factor in an individuals decision about what to purchase. Do I feel better about purchasing a six pack of a 'pop' beverage or beer for $6 or a low priced wine for $6? The wine magazines would have you believe that unless you spend a lot of money for a wine, you are not getting the best available. I think it comes down to, how you feel about yourself and your ability to make your own decisions. -Dick

palate for wine until later in life, and that's a shame. At 24, waiting 10, 15, 20+ years for a bottle to age gracefully isn't a big deal. At 35, 40, 45 years of age, it may be of concern to some people.

It's a concern to very damned few. I am 59 and think of myself in my mind's eye as in my 30s. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a wine intended to age 30 years if the price were right. (I do have a family history of living well into the 90s and sometimes 100s.)

You shouldn't attribute attitudes until you do a little exploration.

There is also something alluded to earlier in the post about attitudes concerning drinking and not making a big deal around alcoholic beverages.

My parents owned a tavern in rural south Texas and I was surrounded by beer. Nobody made a bid deal of it and we could go up and get a drink of beer from our parent's or friend's bottles whenever we wanted. We didn't want to particularly and preferred our soda. I never drank or had any desire to until I went into the army and to Germany.

I was introduced to German wines in the 1960s when a bottle cost 25¢, the same as a bottle of beer. I can't make a steady diet of German wines today because my tastes have evolved to MUCH drier wines but there is still a soft spot on my palate for the Rieslings from Germany.

My next door neighbor just got back from a two week business trip during which I took care of his mail and cat. He brought me back a delightful Auslese. Mosel-Saar-Ruwer, 2002er, Osanner Rosenberg, Ortega Auslese, 500 ml. I loved it but couldn't drink two bottles in a row.

Blake in San Antonio