• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ramzaan

Vikram

Just went to MA Road 2 nights back on Vikrams urging....not that I really needed to be urged....and had some ambrosial food and came home smelling like a kabob. I was captivated by those giant malpuas...was one of the largest pots of oil I have ever seen!

I came across a very small stall where a woman was cooking, on a tava, what looked like a small version of the malpuas. She told me they were called "moroli" and they contained chaval ka atta, anda, mawa, nariyal ka dhood and a little sugar. Instead of getting a sugar syrup at the end she sprinkled on a little sugar during the cooking...they were heavenly....really. I will post a photo when I get home at the end of the week.

Another thing I sampled was a blackcurrant flavored malai....I almost died it was so good. Also tasted a chocolate version and a kesar version of the same. I am curious about this sweet. All the guy could tell me was that it was made from boiled milk. I assume it was milk cooked to some stage in between rabri and khoya....it was very moist, but still slightly firm....if any one has any info about this I would love to hear it. I will post a photo of this sweet as well when I get home.

Edited by Edward (log)

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

My most lovely Sue-On,

No burning ears, but my nose has been twitching a lot!  :raz:

It's been kinda cooooold (for me at least) here in the DC area, I've been thinking of making a nice soup to break the fast.  I'm looking to you for suggestions, you always have the greatest ideas. :smile: I wish I could send something tasty to your student, good Ramadhan greetings, though! Do not despair, there are only 7 more days til Eid al-Fitr (Hari Raya Idul Fitri), which marks the end of the fasting period and celebrated with special foods. 

My best regards to Ben -- Happy hunting! Got game on the menu?! :wink:

It''s been chilly here, but great weather for November. I have been making soups more often. One of the best soups I have ever had was in England, mulligatawny. I have been trying for years to dulpicate it from memory, but alas, I've turned out variations but never like the original.

I do like curry veg.soup. I just brown coarsely chopped leeks, celery(including the leaves), carrots, garlic and potatoes together. To this, I add veg stock, or chicken stock if I want to add meat to it, curry paste, salt and peppercorns. This is simmered until tender. I put some of the cooked veg. into a blender to make my "slurry". So, the soup is thickened but still chunky. This is great with a slice of lemon on top, lots of cilantro, and baguette to sop up the rest!

Your curry puffs look just like mine, even down to the fork marks along the edges! :laugh: I do brush a bit of beaten egg on top of mine before baking.

Ben's had lots of walking but not much game this season, so no game on the menu.

He did mention that he's used game for curry dishes.

My student has even stopped smoking during Ramadan. I am trying to encourage him to quit all together. He just smiles at me and pretends he doesn't understand English! :laugh:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Just went to MA Road 2 nights back on Vikrams urging....not that I really needed to be urged....and had some ambrosial food and came home smelling like a kabob.

How wonderfully bizarre that we are crossing paths this way. I'm in the DC area during Ramadhan and Eid al-Fitr, customizing local ingredients to achieve traditional dishes, and there you are on Mohammad Ali Road in Mumbai savoring the delicacies there!

Looking forward to your photos and more of your report, Edward.

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

I do like curry veg.soup. I just brown coarsely chopped leeks, celery(including the leaves), carrots, garlic and potatoes together.  To this, I add veg stock, or chicken stock if I want to add meat to it, curry paste, salt and peppercorns. This is simmered until tender. I put some of the cooked veg. into a blender to make my "slurry". So, the soup is thickened but still chunky. This is great with a slice of lemon on top, lots of cilantro, and baguette to sop up the rest!

I've made that soup before but your addition of lemon and cilantro is absolutely stunning! Thank you thank you thank you! :wub:

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Do not despair, there are only 7 more days til Eid al-Fitr (Hari Raya Idul Fitri), which marks the end of the fasting period and celebrated with special foods. 

Ah, THIS is what Hari Raya is!!! Thanks from a Christian twice removed from Malaysia!!

Yetty, your posts have been truly beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing this time with us!

Amy

Eid Al Fitr, Hari Raya Idul Fitri was on Sunday, November 14, 2004. Greetings of Peace and Love to All Mankind. Eid Mubarak!

The Holy Month of Ramzaan and fasting are over until next year. The celebration is marked by the traditional foods to welcome the new month of Syawal. The typical fare enjoyed in Indonesia are duplicated very well here in the States.

His Excellency The Ambassador of Indonesia to the United States had an Open House at the Chancery and our family was invited to attend.

gallery_11814_353_1100633848.jpg

gallery_11814_353_1100633934.jpg

gallery_11814_353_1100634002.jpg

gallery_11814_353_1100634078.jpg

gallery_11814_353_1100634175.jpg

gallery_11814_353_1100634244.jpg

This steep, winding road leads to the mansion which is situated on top of a hill on Tilden Street in Northwest Washington, DC. After all the greetings and well wishes, we departed the Chancery and headed down along this road. My mother slipped and lost her balance falling backwards with her knee buckled under her. The knee took the hard impact and we rushed her to ER where it was determined that she has a fractured patella, and will have to undergo surgery to repair her right knee this coming Friday.

gallery_11814_353_1100634419.jpg

Ramadhan is over. It is a joyous time, but a sad one as well. Thank you for allowing me to share with you this very special month.Til next Ramadhan.

Peace & Love,

Yetty Sharief

Edited by spaghetttti (log)

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

• 10 months later...