• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Shiewie - A Malaysian foodblog

Shiewie

Not as much fun as the old way where you'd have to crack open the durian at the 'eye' at the bottom and split in along the sides. This means that you don't get to ward off 'heatiness' from eating durian by drinking some water from placed inside the durian shell or washing your hands on the white inside part of the shell to get rid of the lingering smell from your fingers.

I never knew about these things. I don't remember anyone doing that in the kampung. Do you figure those are more Chinese practices?

Michael aka "Pan"

No - not Chinese definitely Malay. Back in the 50s and 60s, Mum and her cousins used to drive to the kampungs (villages) outside a much smaller KL then looking for durians during durian season and this was something that they picked up from from a pak cik in some kampung.

The other thing is to eat mangosteens when you're having durians as mangosteens are 'cooling'.

Late lunch after the late breakfast. Had:

- Penang style 'Chee Cheong Fun' - Chee Cheong Fun are flat rice noodles, traditionally done in rolls and hence their name which means pig intestine noodles. Penang style is with thick black gooey shrimp paste sauce (different from belacan) with roasted sesame seeds and deep fried sliced shallots sprinkled on top

- some Yong Tau Foo (a piece of tofu, tofu puff, bitter gourd, fried sui gau and fried bean curd skin roll)

- a slice of pineapple

- a glass of 'teh si ping' - iced tea with evaporated milk

Am boiling some 'tong sui' (Chinese sweet soup) for later - snow fungus, dried longan, red dates and hard-boiled quail eggs.

Dinner at maukitten's. Had:

- "Oh Chien" - oyster omelette

- Oyster pasta - angelhair pasta with oysters and diced tomatoes

- Roast duck and sun-dried tomato pasta - we used angelhair, think spaghetti would've been better

- Roast duck on its own (we bought a whole roast duck, used half for the pasta and ate the other half on its own)

- Green salad

- Lemon cheesecake

- Sauvignon Blanc

- Green tea / coffee

Thanks herb and Pan - it's been fun here too! It sure made me more conscious of what I've been eating throughout a day... on that thought I think I'll need to do something this week to work it all off :raz: .

wah shiewie.... hebatnya... just found out what you're doing. i seldom frequent egullet simply because of the massive updating it does and the slow dial-up line i'm using.

why don't u do a food blog full time lah! u're good at it. :rolleyes:

i know that a lot of ppl are clammering for a KL food blog.

:cool:

Since I can't reply directly to BOURDAIN, I am posting my response here (hope you don't mind Shiewie) - I don't mean to be a stalker but I absolutely love your book and show (boy, I sound creepy!). Anyway Tony, if you happen to come across this reply again, and would like a real nasi lemak in the city, email me at aqa2454@nyu.edu. I promise you its better than the ones that you get in the restaurants in the city.