• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Shiewie - A Malaysian foodblog

Shiewie

Shiewie, I like jambu air very much (by the way, folks, Malay "air" is pronounced rather like English "eye" - not English "air"), but I wouldn't describe it as "sweetish." I find that it has a unique, bracingly sour lemony taste. But perhaps it is ultimately "sweetish," because it certainly isn't as sour as a sour lemon. Malaysian limes on the other hand... :smile::wub:

I just looked at that link. So despite its name ("jambu" means "guava"), it isn't botanically a type of guava at all?

Michael aka "Pan"

Hmmm...haven't tried Yati's ayam percik in the Kota Bahru so am not sure how spicy it is compared to the one yesterday. The one yesterday was not hotter than a little dash of tabasco .... so would that be mildly spicy, no?

I buy that. But then again, as you know, I like things spicier than the average American outside of Louisiana and the Southwest. Enjoy the rest of your afternoon!

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

Hmmm...haven't tried Yati's ayam percik in the Kota Bahru so am not sure how spicy it is compared to the one yesterday. The one yesterday was not hotter than a little dash of tabasco .... so would that be mildly spicy, no?

I buy that. But then again, as you know, I like things spicier than the average American outside of Louisiana and the Southwest. Enjoy the rest of your afternoon!

Strangely, the person that I've seen eat the most chillies at a meal was an American client, who's of Mexican descent. We were at lunch at a Chinese restaurant in KL and he mixed half a bowl of cut cili padi (bird's eye chillies) to his bowl of plain rice :blink: !! This I have never seen before nor seen again. Mind you, the chilli in the rice was in addition to sauce plate after sauce plate of more cut chillis with soy sauce as dip.

maukitten, I have no idea when I may be able to come back to Malaysia, but I'd better be married, or I'll never hear the end of it from everyone in Merchang (explanation for those watching this thread: the village in the state of Terengganu where I used to live in the 70s). In theory, I'd like to come back as soon as possible, but in practice, I figure it'll be a few years before I might have another chance. :sad:

Michael aka "Pan"

Had dinner at Shanghai at the KL Marriot. It was a rather dissapointing meal. We had:

- Pork Siu Loong Bao (Nice but the skin was a bit too thin. Some commented that the soup had more soy than the ones in Shanghai, China)

- Vegetarian Pan-Fried Dumplings (Jiaozi)

- Fresh Bamboo Shoots with a smooth peanut sauce (This was nice and everyone liked it. Very different from the normal bamboo shoots. It was very green and crunchy, somewhat like a melon)

- Wuxi spareribs (Not bad but again the comment was that they were different from the ones in Shanghai, China)

- Double boiled winter melon soup with chicken and ham

- Shredded Pork in Spicy Sauce (shredded pork with mushrooms and preserved vegetables in a spicy vinegary sauce. Most found it too salty)

- Braised Kwai Fah fish (Fried fish with with spring onions in an onion soy sauce - salty)

- Lo Han Jai (A vegetarian dish of Napa cabbage, snow peas, carrots, corn, mushrooms, bamboo shoots and wheat gluten)

- Stir-fried spinach (Some thought the spinach was a bit old)

- Glutinous rice cake stir-fried with preserved vegetables and shredded pork (quite nice but a bit bland considering there was preserved vegetables in it)

- Almond jelly with fruits

- Deep-fried glutinous rice balls with black sesame paste filling

- White rice

Hmmm, it didn't seem that much when we were eating but it sure looks different when it's all listed out here. Guess the servings were kind of small.

Some were not quite contented with the meal so we went to another place called Shook for coffee and more dessert. I had a cafe latte and tasted a couple of the desserts - double scoop of sorbets (lemon-lime and passionfruit) and a tiramisu. The lemon-lime sorbet was nice - it had a touch of lemongrass in it but the passionfruit one was too icy. The tiramisu was was not bad but I found it was too sweet.

Good morning! :biggrin:

Sorry to hear about last night's disappointment, it had to be better then the meal I ate at Denny's last night! :biggrin:

I hope tonight and Sunday are better.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Torakris, what's the difference in a Denny's in Japan from one in the U.S.?

everything!

Denny's Japan:

http://www.dennys.co.jp/dj/index.html

to look at the menu click on the middle left side (under the steak) where it says Denny's info, then click in where it says Grand menu, this will list on the left side in a dark brown the categories, click on any one to see pictures of the food:

salad/ soup

pasta

gratin/doria/omelettes

bread/sandwiches

hamburgers/meat dishes

Japanese style/donburi/noodles

side orders

desserts

drinks

take a look a the children's menu while you are there, very different from the US.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Good morning! :biggrin:

Sorry to hear about last night's disappointment, it had to be better then the meal I ate at Denny's last night! :biggrin:

I hope tonight and Sunday are better.

Morning! (Though yours started a lot earlier than mine) :biggrin:.

Haven't been to a Denny's in a long, long time. That's one American chain that hasn't made an appearance in KL yet.

Saturday

Breakfast

Had an half a navel orange, some rambutans and picked at some some rice cakes fried with bean sprouts, preserved radish and egg (called Chai Tau Kueh in KL but Kuek Kak up north in Penang. Not sure about Singapore - tonkichi?)

8.40pm now - Have been munching and nibbling throughout the day. Have eaten:

- the rest of the orange

- more rambutans

- a honey murcott mandarin

- a chung / zongzi (Chinese tamale / rice dumpling) - the mung bean, salted egg yolk and fatty pork kind

- some left-over meatballs and blanched veggies from Friday's night dinner at home

- a few seeds of durian (i'm not a fan but somehow eating it sort of made it less smelly - I'm sure this doesn't quite make sense but it did feel so :biggrin: )

LOVE nasi lemak! Want some now!

It's 11.20pm now but there should be plenty of nasi lemak stalls open right now.....in KL though! :smile:

Nasi lemak does hit the spot as a late night snack...or in fact at any time.

Which nasi lemak stalls did you go to when you were in KL?

Edited by Shiewie (log)

Had more to eat around 9-ish when my sister when to get some takeaway from hawker stalls:

- a piece of fried chicken

- a peice of tauhu bakar - grilled tofu puffs with, split in half with a filling of julienned cucumber, lighly blanched bean sprouts and peanut sauce

- another mandarin

- plus a cold masal vadai from the fridge

- a small slice of blue cheese

Hmmm...all in all guess it was a rather stinky day with durians and blue cheese. :biggrin:

Edited - forgot about eating the cheese so didn't post it earlier

Edited by Shiewie (log)

Shiewie, what do you mean by eating a few "seeds" of durian? You aren't translating "beberapa biji" into English, are you (which would mean she had a few whole durian)? Nah, not possible. I figure you mean a few sections (flesh surrounding the seed), because the seeds themselves are nut-like and not smelly, right?

Michael aka "Pan"

Shiewie, what do you mean by eating a few "seeds" of durian? You aren't translating "beberapa biji" into English, are you (which would mean she had a few whole durian)? Nah, not possible. I figure you mean a few sections (flesh surrounding the seed), because the seeds themselves are nut-like and not smelly, right?

:shock: No not a few biji as in few whole durians! Just 3 to 4 'ulas'/sections

Nowadays, durians is mainly sold pre-opened where ulas / sections / seeds of durian are packed in styrofroam containers and not as whole durians. Not as much fun as the old way where you'd have to crack open the durian at the 'eye' at the bottom and split in along the sides. This means that you don't get to ward off 'heatiness' from eating durian by drinking some water from placed inside the durian shell or washing your hands on the white inside part of the shell to get rid of the lingering smell from your fingers.

It's a lot more convenient though as the the whole neigbourhood won't know that you've been having durians as there won't be conspicuous durian shells in your trash is stinking up the whole place till the garbagemen come! :biggrin: