• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Shiewie - A Malaysian foodblog

Shiewie

Aaargh!! I've just come back from a horrid lunch and realised I've been tagged by herbacidal for this week's foodblog. :shock: And I had happily been lulled into the thought that it would be ronnie suburban or bergerka from her earlier post.

Here goes:

Monday

Was late for work so breakfast was a Nature Valley Crunchy Peanut Butter Granola Bar and a kiwi fruit at my desk.

Got hungry a little later so snacked on some salted fava beans in the common food stash that we have in our department.

Just finished lunch and it was one of the most awful meals I've had in quite a while. A colleague was driving out to pay some bills so a few of us trooped along for the ride. As usual, we couldn't decide where and what to eat. The choice was dim sum, a cafe-type place, hawker food at local coffeeshops, Thai, Chinese vegetarian or Taiwanese noodles. There was a small voice next to me that suggested Burger King but that was ignored by the rest in the car.

We settled on Chinese vegetarian out of deference to the driver who is semi-vegetarian (he still eats seafood for now). Haven't been to the restaurant before and I'll definitely not go again. Chinese vegetarian with its multitude of ways in cooking soy by-products as mock this n' that can be interesting. Sigh but the flavour of the day at this place was bland, bland, bland.

Chose a "sui gow meen" - green (chinese spinach) noodles in a light broth with vegetarian dumplings, yau mak (sort of like Romaine lettuce), slices of dried Shitake mushrooms and some crunchy dough bits (mock pork crackling bits?!). The noodles were ok but the dumplings were doughy and tasteless. Also had half a guava that I bought from a fruit stall nearby...and that was tasteless too. Feeling most dissatisfied now.

Edited to correct typo

Edited by Shiewie (log)

Was hungry around 4pm since I didn't finish the dumpling noodles nor tasteless fruit at lunch. Went down to the office cafeteria and ate half a packet of "nasi lemak" (coconut rice with some fried anchovies, fried peanuts, sambal and half a hard-boiled egg wrapped in banana leaf and a piece of newspaper) and a bite of "kuih keria" (a Malay cake of mashed sweet potato shaped into a mini doughnut, deep fried and dipped in melted sugar) from a friend.

:wacko: I feel quite icky now from that grease overdose. Am sipping a mug of green tea to try and get rid that greasy feeling.

Oh - I also had a banana maple muffin just before lunch that I forgot to post earlier.

Seems like I'll be doing some larnin' this week. :smile:

=R=

huh??

This is what I wanted when I tagged Shiewie, more about food in SE Asia.

Are you in KL or Singapore or somewhere else, Shiewie?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Yes, my thought too...and I meant my above comment as a positive one. :smile:

=R=

fine, but what does larnin' mean?

larnin' = learning

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

=R=

larnin' = learning

=R=

ah yes, so i see said the philly-born one unfamilar with midwestern ways.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

:wink:

It's a variant pronunciation for "learning."

From the same school of pronunciation that brought us The Three ''Rs'' -- Reading, Riting, and Rithmetic.

This is entirely different, of course, from The Three Ss.

--

It's a variant pronunciation for "learning."

From the same school of pronunciation that brought us The Three ''Rs'' -- Reading, Riting, and Rithmetic.

was dat,

shittin', skippin', and strippin' ??

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Aaargh!! I've just come back from a horrid lunch and realised I've been tagged by herbacidal for this week's foodblog. :shock: And I had happily been lulled into the thought that it would be ronnie suburban or bergerka from her earlier post.Edited to correct typo

Excellent. Good to have you.

was dat,

Close... it's what many men do first thing in the morning: shit, shower & shave.

Okay... Shiewie needs to tell us about more cool food before this thread veers dangerously off course. :cool:

--

was dat,

Close... it's what many men do first thing in the morning: shit, shower & shave.

Okay... Shiewie needs to tell us about more cool food before this thread veers dangerously off course. :cool:

agreed. i'll pm you.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Wake up Shiewie. Eat something.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Seems like I'll be doing some larnin' this week. :smile:

=R=

huh??

This is what I wanted when I tagged Shiewie, more about food in SE Asia.

Are you in KL or Singapore or somewhere else, Shiewie?

I'm in KL.

This should be interesting (not that the rest haven't been). However, Nature Valley granola bars?! They export cardboard to Malaysia :biggrin:

Yupp!! They live happily in my desk drawer though and are mighty handy when hunger pangs strike! I actually like them better than the other muesli and granola bars here.

Hmmm...couldn't get onto the forum last night. The home page was fine but got an error each time I clicked a link to the forum. Strange.

Had a pre-dinner snack of a Granny Smith apple.

Dinner (Monday night)

- Chicken and potatoes in preserved bean paste gravy

- Stir-fried lotus root slices, celery, carrots, dried shitake mushrooms and ginko nut

- Stir-fried julienned chayote with dried shitake mushrooms in eggy sauce

- Fried luncheon meat (like Spam) cubes with baked beans

- Brown rice

Had a navel orange and some soy milk after dinner. We normally have soy milk at home as my mother is lactose intolerant. Anyway, the milk here doesn't taste that good unless one buys the fresh Australian stuff.

Tuesday

Breakfast was a slice of wholemeal toast with leftover baked beans and luncheon meat cubes from dinner last night plus a glass of soy milk.

=R=

larnin' = learning

=R=

All this larnin' to be done. :biggrin: I now feel compelled to have lunch at the local coffeeshops this week so that there can be some larnin can be done here :raz:. Some of the Malay and Indian Muslim places are closed at lunch this week (or rather for a month) though as Ramadan started yesterday.

I usually try to minimise the eating out so that I can cut down on the carbs. SE Asian food involve a lot of carbs. I love carbo - unfortunately it makes me put on weight as I can't stop piling on the rice when there's a dish with lots of curry or gravy.