• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yesterday's Beer Run

john b

Someone was nice enough to comp my round of golf yesterday, so I spent what would have been my green fees on beer!

A local store has a pretty good Belgian selection, so I picked up a six pack of Leffe, and singles of Westvleteren (how is this pronounced?!?) and Rochefort 6.

I also bought a six pack of Grant's Perfect Porter, which I found to be less than "perfect" :sad: , a little on the watery side, and an off, soapy taste.

The Westvleteren, on the other hand, was great--very complex with caramel, toffee chocolate flavors.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Westvleteren (how is this pronounced?!?) 

belgian beer pronunciations

I'm jealous. It's notoriously hard to find (especially the 12). Technically they do not distribute it, but for some enterprizing people who get in line at the abbey along with everybody else. I have a case on route from Belgium should be here soon!!. :biggrin:

Thanks for the link.

I'm pretty sure it was the Westvleteren 8 I had. It wasn't specified on the label and the cap is gone.

I took a look at their website, which specifies that the beer is only sold to individuals and is not for resale. I guess a few rules had to be broken for me to buy it in a store :biggrin:, which is probably why it was so expensive.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.