• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

mortar & pestle opinions, please.

pleiades

I want to have a crack at aioli this week, a Grand aioli platter is my assignment for a dinner party. Lulu Peyraud recommends a marble mortar and wood pestle. So I went shopping online. Funny I should do this right now, as Halloween preparations seem to be in full swing out there in alternative-spirituality land, and I underestimated how popular these simple tools are within this, um, demographic. :biggrin:

Anyways, Williams-Sonoma has the aforementioned combination at an eye-watering $65. Is this what I should expect to pay for quality stuff (I'm ok with it if that is the case), or is this an example of soak-the-noob that WS is so fond of?

Edited by pleiades (log)

I picked mine up at an antique shop in New Orleans for $15.00. It is a nice old ceramic one. Neither piece looked very worn, although they are (I think) fairly old. It is an old pharmaceutical one. God knows what was being ground in it in it's previous life. :wacko: But it works really well and I like the way it looks.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I want to have a crack at aioli this week, a Grand aioli platter is my assignment for a dinner party. Lulu Peyraud recommends a marble mortar and wood pestle. So I went shopping online. Funny I should do this right now, as Halloween preparations seem to be in full swing out there in alternative-spirituality land, and I underestimated how popular these simple tools are within this, um, demographic.  :biggrin:

Anyways, Williams-Sonoma has the aforementioned combination at an eye-watering $65. Is this what I should expect to pay for quality stuff (I'm ok with it if that is the case), or is this an example of soak-the-noob that WS is so fond of?

Someone bought me the marble variety-- the pestle, or is it the mortar (the stick part, not the bowl), cracked in half after a few uses. :angry:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.