• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Appetizer/Hors D'Oeuvre/Starter Ideas

Malawry

I'm teaching a hands-on cooking class/party that was bid on in an auction. The hosts of the party want to hold it on Feb 13, so they were thinking of aphrodisiac foods. My problem is that most things I can think of to make are either out of season, prohibitively expensive, or too complex for the time frame.

My constraints are:

1) Everything has to be able to be made in about an hour and a half.

2) My food costs will be covered, but I can't go in for wildly expensive ingredients (no caviar, no lobster, no foie gras).

3) Nothing should be terribly difficult to make. Some of these people will be cooks, but some will likely be new to the kitchen.

4) Although the format is for small plates and appetizers, these people will want enough food to fill them up.

So far, I'm thinking about something with wild mushrooms (maybe in puffed pastry) and grilled shrimp with a chile-based rub. For dessert, I thought I'd have them make a strawberry-champagne sorbet served in chocolate cups.

But I need two more dishes. Maybe something with artichoke hearts or avocados? I'm not sure. Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Janet, this horny melon might fall into the category of aphrodisiac. Although it's not something really remarkable, it might be interesting teaching material. Here's the thread, in case you can get some ideas from it.

I always think of oysters when I think of aphrodisiac foods, but then there is the cost factor because my all time favorite has caviar on it... an opened oyster in its shell, on a bed of savoy cabbage, covered with a cream sauce, baked, and topped with caviar. Would whitefish caviar be too expensive?

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

How about different things , but all presented in puff pastries? Some could be red-sauced but savory, some sweet, artichokes and crab agree with everyone, and then something real shocking for a last plate, like ... ahh... I'm thinking.....

I would do some kind of oyster thing.

In the shell, drizzeled with garlic scampi butter, chopped parsely and dusted with a mixture of grated parm cheese and bread crumbs and perhaps topped with a roasted red pepper heart, baked to a golden brown. A dry champagne..........

I've talked myself into it!

American Culinary Institute's Foods to Get You in the Mood.

Prunes: Did you know prunes are considered an aphrodisiac? Legend has it that Eros, the Greek God of love, dipped his arrow in prune juice for extra effect before taking aim on his love targets. Serve a goblet of the silky smooth prune juice as your secret love potion this Valentine’s day.

Personally, when thinking of romantic foods -- or foods that might lead to romance :wink: -- I'm inclined toward small portions (don't want to feel bloated), light on spices & garlic (that breath thing, you know), that you can eat with your fingers, and don't involve a lot of last minute prep.

Champagne cocktails are always appreciated, but you could use this as an opportunity to introduce Prosecco. The mushrooms in puff pastry sound wonderful. Chocolate dipped strawberries are a classic, but your strawberry-champagne sorbet sounds even better. Maybe a light broth or soup with crouton chips or quenelles?

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

I would go for effect. Do something puffy and light, and pink. Quick and easy are ramekins lined with filo, which can be sculpted into a cloudlike puff around the edges. That will brown along the edges but still come out looking light and airy. Bake and turn out. Inside - spread or pipe along the base of the filo nest, a roasted red pepper tapenade, which can be done start to finish in 15 minutes flat and can be done in advance (doesn't have to be too spicy but a little spice is nice!) topped off by two peeled shrimp, arranged in a heart shape. Dusted with multicolored ground pepper, and it's a starter. Note, don't spread the tapenade until just before serving. The filo nests can be done well before the guests arrive.

• 2 months later...

Seems like I'm always making the same old things for finger foods...stuffed mushrooms or potatoes, bruschetta, polenta triangles, crudites. I need some more ideas about great party hors d'oeuvres that travel well. or, if anyone can recommend an hors d'oeuvre cookbook, that would be great, too.

Just a quickie... Slice and toast a baguette into croutons (I spread a little olive oil on them before toasting).

Spread croutons with goat cheese, top with a slice of roasted bell peppers (I keep small jars of this lying around for last-minute versions), a single basil leaf, and a slice of Parmesan cheese. Broil until Parmesan cheese begins to melt.

Yum.

BTW, although vilified, I like Martha Stewart's hors d'oeuvre book. Really, really extensive offerings.

As mundane as it sounds, the gang goes wild when I make up a cheeseball. Cream cheese, extra sharp cheddar, horseradish, maybe a little parm, and some chopped green olives... shaped into a ball and rolled into some chopped nuts. Served with a variety of crackers, it's quick, easy, inexpensive, tasty, and twice as good the day after the party.

Garlic Peppercorn Cheesecake . This has become my new favourite thing to serve. It was made by one of the mothers for the staff lunch yesterday and it was awesome. The teachers had it gone in about 5 minutes flat.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

i concur on martha's book - it's gorgeous. one of my favorite finds from that book was cucumber cups. you can fill them with anything (egg or crab salad, tuna tartare...) i filled them with smoked salmon, herbed cream cheese and caviar. it was a good thing.

in case you're interested and don't want to buy the book - you'll need english cucumbers, a melon baller (or i used a demitasse spoon). optional - a 2 inch or smaller - depending on the size of the cukes biscuit cutter.

cut the cukes into 2 inch slices - trying to cut evenly. use the biscuit cutter if you want to create smooth peeled cups - scoop out seeds. i salted lightly and turned over to let them drain a bit. then blot the insides, fill, chill and serve. she does some thing similar with cherry tomatoes...

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

My favorites are crisp, zesty cheese straws. Delicious, not too filling, and neat to eat.

Anything with cheese, actually. :rolleyes:

And how do you make cheese straws? And you gotta try the cheesecake thing. It's incredibly addictive :biggrin:

Marlene

im new and ignorant...... should i post my appetizer recipe suggestions here or on recipe gullet?

xo

"Animal crackers and cocoa to drink

That is the finest of suppers, I think

When I'm grown up and can have what I please,

I think I shall always insist upon these"

*Christopher Morley

My favorites are crisp, zesty cheese straws. Delicious, not too filling, and neat to eat.

Anything with cheese, actually. :rolleyes:

And how do you make cheese straws? And you gotta try the cheesecake thing. It's incredibly addictive :biggrin:

One really stupid, easy way...

Buy frozen puff pastry - roll out, brush with egg wash and top with favorite grated cheeses, sesame seeds, etc... Slice thin (1/4 inch). Twist and bake as instructed on box.

One really stupid, easy way...

Buy frozen puff pastry - roll out, brush with egg wash and top with favorite grated cheeses, sesame seeds, etc...

Instead of slicing and twisting this, you can also top the cheese-covered sheet of puff pastry with slices of prosciutto and sage leaves. You then roll it up like a jelly roll, cut off slices and bake those to make little spirals.

im new and ignorant...... should i post my appetizer recipe suggestions here or on recipe gullet?

xo

Please post it in RecipeGullet and provide the link here. :smile:

Marlene

Savoury palmiers are always good, easy and impressive. You can fill them with pretty much anything, they're good hot or cold and they store and travel well.

Blini are good too. They can be made a couple days in advance and can be topped with just about anything.

Make some pate brisee mini tart shells and fill, once again, with basically anything...

im new and ignorant......  should i post my appetizer recipe suggestions here or on recipe gullet?

xo

Please post it in RecipeGullet and provide the link here. :smile:

okie dokie!

thanks for the info, marlene.

xo

"Animal crackers and cocoa to drink

That is the finest of suppers, I think

When I'm grown up and can have what I please,

I think I shall always insist upon these"

*Christopher Morley

well, if i did this right.....

Blue Cheese and Pecan Crackers