• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Appetizer/Hors D'Oeuvre/Starter Ideas

Malawry

Steak Appetizers

The one I made was really good, but there are lots of other good ideas.

guajolete,

Can you (or someone who knows how) put that recipe into the archives? It sounds wonderful and I would hate to see it get lost in the threads.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

These have been quite a hit at the last few parties I've attended. Forgive my lack of proporations here, I've never really paid attention to the amounts when I've made these.

1 pkg eggroll wrappers (sliced diagonally) or wonton wrappers (left whole)

1 pkg goat cheese

Roasted red peppers

Drop a glob of goat cheese onto the middle of the eggroll/wonton wrapper, top with a few slices of roasted red pepper and fold into a triangle (eggroll wrapper) or draw the edges up into a pouch shape (wonton wrappers)

Bake at 400º for 6-10 minutes, until wrappers turn golden and crispy. Serve warm.

I've also made these with feta cheese and spinach (lightly sauteed with garlic).

Sherri A. Jackson

Steak Appetizers

The one I made was really good, but there are lots of other good ideas.

Yes. And yes. I was sorry to get to Dean's too late to be part of the construction crew for Dave the Cook's Killer Steak and Tomato app, but the folks thoughtfully left me some.

(Hie thee to the Recipe Archive, Dave. Or Dean.)

And there are other terrific ideas. Steak as an appetizer--what a great concept.

(Right, Jinmyo?)

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

In order to post the recipe in the archive, we should have some quantities associated with the ingredients/ :smile: then I can post!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

In order to post the recipe in the archive, we should have some quantities associated with the ingredients/ :smile:  then I can post!

I must defer to guajolote on quantities, since I've never actually made it. I was just the idea man on this one.

OTOH, since Dean did the actual work (with some help, I gather), and the Heartlanders were nice enough to be guinea pigs, and have approved it, I might try it myself.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Roast a couple of red bell peppers. Meanwhile, saute a sliced onion slowly until caramelized. Seed, peel and coarsely chop the pepper. When the onion is done, add the pepper with a couple tablespoons of sherry and salt and black pepper to taste. Continue cooking for a couple of minutes and then let cool slightly. Pulse briefly in a food processor or with a stick blender (you want it chunky). Spread on crostini or bruschetta and top with shaved aged gouda.

This is one of those combinations that's much greater than the sum of its parts.

1. Apricots with Goat Cheese and Basil

Slab dried apricots with goat cheese and a basil chevron. "Greater than the sum of its parts" is always how I describe this. The orange, green and white are striking, too.

2. New Potato "Crackers" with Gorgonzola "Caviar"

Boil new potatoes (about 1" - 2" across) until just tender. Cut into slices, which will serve as "crackers." In your food processor, chop 1/2 cup walnuts into very fine pieces. Add 1/2 cup cream cheese and 1/2 cup gorgonzola, pulse until very smooth. Add a little fresh ground black pepper if desired. Put into a pastry bag with a big star tip and pipe onto the potatoes. Add a little chopped parsley and voilà! They're fantastic. (I'll probably bring those to a pot luck if I ever attend one.)

3. Stuffed Mushrooms

Loose recipe: remove the mushroom caps and toss in a sauté pan with a little olive oil, sun-dried tomatoes, pine nuts, garlic, and what have you. When cooked down and still moist, add to breadcrumbs and mix. Stuff in mushroom caps, dip in lemon juice, and bake at 400 for about 18 minutes.

I love tapas, so how about shrimp w/garlic or mushrooms w/garlic.

I used a small cazuela directly on the gas flame (which allows it to come to the table still sizzling) and, although I eyeball it, I will try to approximate a recipe:

1/3-1/2 cup ev olive oil

1 dried red pepper, seeded

8-10 large garlic gloves, thinly sliced

1/2 lb. medium (or, preferably, small) shrimp or 1 1/2 cups sliced white mushrooms

Heat the olive oil over medium-high. Add the garlic and red pepper and cook until the garlic starts to brown. Add the shrimp or mushrooms and cook until done. Remove the hot pepper. Serve with rounds of the bread (or let people tear off their own.)

I also like chorizo with melted cheese. :wub:

Edited by mikeycook (log)

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

• 2 months later...

I'm having a big housewarming party in about 3 weeks. The party will be an open house, with people dropping in throughout the day. When I've done these in the past, I've prepped lots of finger foods that I can heat up in the oven throughout the day to supplement the cheese, veggies, meat, bread etc. we'll have out for grazing. Due to my busy schedule between now and then, I don't have a lot of time to devote to food prep the week or weekend before the party.

I do have a day or two _this_ weekend that I can devote to prep, so I'm looking to the wisdom of eGullet for some freezable finger foods that can be prepared in advance. I'm already planning on prepping some spinach/feta triangles, and thought I might be creative and do some brie/jam/pecan phyllo packages, and maybe another with a mushroom filling. If I can get a couple friends to help this weekend we should be able to assembly line them together pretty quickly.

I usually make these little custard tarts with cheddar, mustard and leeks, and I'm thinking they might freeze alright. I'd bake them in advance, then thaw and reheat day of.

The night before the party I'm planning to recruit my roommate's help to roll up a bunch of vegetarian sushi that we can slice and serve throughout the day. And day of we're planning to do some little canape to highlight the really good smoked salmon from Durham's Tracklements.

Any other ideas/ favorite recipes/ suggestions?

Thanks!

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

You might look at some tapas-style canapes. If you have the Tapas cookbook by Penelope Casas, or can lay your hands on a copy, she does a few variations on meatballs that are quite good and freeze well.

For stuff that doesn't freeze, she also has a recipe for a killer potato salad with olive oil, onion, dill, orange juice and a couple of other things. Really redefines potato salad. Easy to make ahead.

If you don't have it, Amazon does:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...530434?v=glance

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

The December issue of Martha Stewart Magazine (OK so I'm outed!) has recipes for make-ahead hors d'oeuvres:

Ham and Gruyere Thumbprints

Mini Chicken B'Steeyas

Mini Asian Crab Cakes

Mushroom-Polenta Diamonds

I bought the issue particularly for this as I, too, am planning a finger-food type celebration when I move into my new house. I wanted things that could be made ahead, frozen and quickly cooked on the day.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

This isn't "fancy" but people just love them.

Pipe creamy peanut butter into pickled jalapeño pepper halves (wash and dry them first).

The fat in the peanut butter moderates the heat of the pepper. No need to freeze these.

Of course, you could stuff them with a myrid of things, but this is fast and well received.

I know it may sound a little "strange" but trust me, they're very tasty.

Strange?! What am I thinking, this is eGullet!!! :laugh:

--------------

Bob Bowen

aka Huevos del Toro

I make and freeze little cream puff shells. Fill them the day of with chicken salad or whatever strikes your fancy.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Consider soup. Yeah, I know it isn't finger food, but on a cold, blustery day, what could be more home-warming than cradling a warm bowl in your hands... Easy to make ahead and oftentimes, more substantial than just finger food. Easy clean-up if you are offering paper bowls and guests help themselves to the pot, simmering on the stove.

I usually make these little custard tarts with cheddar, mustard and leeks, and I'm thinking they might freeze alright. I'd bake them in advance, then thaw and reheat day of.
You don't even have to thaw them first; just pop them into the oven directly from the freezer. In fact, that's the best way to reheat almost any filled pastry item. Thawing first can make them soggy, and the reheat doesn't always recrisp.
The night before the party I'm planning to recruit my roommate's help to roll up a bunch of vegetarian sushi that we can slice and serve throughout the day.
I wouldn't, if you mean rolled in nori. Just because the nori will sog. If you do them inside-out, though, that should be okay.

To gild HdT's suggestion: top them with bacon and broil to cook? Or just cut up bacon slices into squares, cook until crisp, and top the pb-stuffed pepper with them.

You don't even have to thaw them first; just pop them into the oven directly from the freezer. In fact, that's the best way to reheat almost any filled pastry item. Thawing first can make them soggy, and the reheat doesn't always recrisp.

Thanks for the tip. Should I still bake them before freezing them?

The night before the party I'm planning to recruit my roommate's help to roll up a bunch of vegetarian sushi that we can slice and serve throughout the day.
I wouldn't, if you mean rolled in nori. Just because the nori will sog. If you do them inside-out, though, that should be okay.

Darn, I was really hoping that would be an easy solution. Even the night before would be too long? I might have time to do some up in the morning, depending how everything else goes.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

If you're interested in more fillings for phyllo or pastry triangles, here are a few of mine. They all freeze well.

Smoked Turkey and Roasted Red Pepper

1 cup smoked turkey (or chicken), diced

1/3 cup green onion, chopped fine

3 cups jack cheese with peppers, shredded

1/3 cup roasted diced red pepper

2 tablespoons cilantro, minced (optional)

1/2 cup sour cream

1 1/2 teaspoons cumin

1/4 teaspoon chili powder

1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste

Mix all ingredients, adding more sour cream to bind if necessary.

Ham and Gruyere

6 oz. ham, diced small (about 1 ¼ cups)

3 oz. gruyere cheese, finely grated (about 1 ½ cups loosely packed)

1 tablespoon minced parsley

2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion or shallots

1 tablespoon honey mustard

4 oz. cream cheese, softened

Mix all ingredients by hand or in a food processor until thoroughly blended.

Mushroom Brie

½ lb. mushrooms, diced

2 tablespoons oil

5-6 cloves roasted garlic

2 to 3 tablespoons heavy cream

Several ounces of Brie

Clean and finely chop the mushrooms. Heat the oil in a medium skillet and saute the mushrooms until they release their liquid. Continue to cook, stirring, until most of the liquid has evaporated. Meanwhile, with a mortar and pestle or in a blender, combine the roasted garlic and cream into a thick paste. When the mushrooms are cooked, add the cream mixture and season with salt and pepper. Place a small amount of mushroom filling on your phyllo strip and top with a small piece of Brie.

Just remember, if you're making more than one type, sprinkle the different varieties with different toppings (sesame seeds, paprika, parmesan cheese, etc.) so you can tell them apart.

tammy - do you want eggrolls that are vegetarian, or would you like pork in them too?

as for the turnovers, they are a bit labor intensive and came from an old good housekeeping recipe, but man are they yummy. you could freeze them and bake them off just prior. i will have ot look in my recipes and see if i've got it or if my mom does.

Edited by tryska (log)